Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178079 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #649 on: July 27, 2008, 00:21 »
I saw several of these scenes today, Bev, and your comments are so apt! 
That shot of Mom feeding our Miss is lovely, and suggests a tenderness that might not be evident in streaming video.  I agree about the calmness of the refreshing cam.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #648 on: July 26, 2008, 23:38 »
we are having a storm and my computer should be off but I wanted to post to you. Mom fed her well tonight and I think it is a process she will just learn. Probably if there were siblings it might go faster but... I also have a picture of her pulling on a wing.  I think she might take the odd bit. I f we had live stream we would see better but I like the calmness of this. I always take tons of shots.

close your eyes

this is so heavy

hey mom , I am over here

thats better

look at my feathers
what part I am supposed to take

She is growing up

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #647 on: July 26, 2008, 23:17 »
Probably Mom is close by.  There have been quite a few nights where there isn't an adult perched close until it's quite dark.  Being a bcbird I can easily check up past midnight Edmonton time to make sure she finally has a parent close! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #646 on: July 26, 2008, 23:06 »
Getting dark out and still no sign of mom or dad.  I expect mom should show up soon, I don't expect they'd leave her alone in the dark would they?  I mean in case an owl shows up or something?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #645 on: July 26, 2008, 22:33 »
You may be onto something with the sibling thing, she's pretty well fed so there isn't much incentive for her to do it herself...I remember the GRE chicks and their food fights.. ;D ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #644 on: July 26, 2008, 21:57 »
Oh... an IT tech! I'm reassured!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #643 on: July 26, 2008, 21:52 »
Bev, I don't think the self feeding has progressed much.  She had her back turned on the prey for quite a while, with her beak on the edge looking out .  Now she has become active, standing on the prey, glaring at it, and flapping her wings.  
Does learning to self feed happen more readily if there are siblings competing, or is it just a bit early for her?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #642 on: July 26, 2008, 21:44 »
Heh..I'm a gamer, played EQ, EQ11, Dark Ages of Camelot and now W.O.W. - used to be in IT tech in a past life...when I retire all I need is a PC and to be near the Peregrines and I"ll be happy  :D

Our girl is all alone again for awhile now  :(.  She sure is changing fast though, every time I look in on her it seems I notice something different.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #641 on: July 26, 2008, 21:28 »
Rats, I also missed it.  I HAVE noticed the increasing amount of "whitewash" on the nest box edge and the rails! 

PS  Carly, I'm so impressed!  I have a 22yo daughter who plays WOW.  It sounds unbelievably complex.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #640 on: July 26, 2008, 20:27 »
No missed the poop shoot out of the box!  I'm playing world of warcraft and every once in awhile I alt-tab out to check on her  :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #639 on: July 26, 2008, 20:06 »
did you guys see that . I just captured her doing a poop shot out of the nest box. ;D ;D I have not seen her do it before.  I am sure she has but I just never saw it and a big wing stretch.Missed the wing stretch

Then a cute shot of her pulling on the wing of the big prey  :) :)that was  brought in

Mom fed her some and now has left it for her to try and figure out again.
I have to make supper and then I will post those pictures. Just so cute.  Poor Tracy is going to be shaking her finger at me

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #638 on: July 26, 2008, 19:12 »
Thank you, Bev, for the photos.  I agree with Carly about the comments, and also about Young Miss's expressiveness.  She really has the Princess role down!  I know I said it before, but she just might be the most beautiful chick ever.   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #637 on: July 26, 2008, 19:01 »
Lol...great shots and I love your commentary..it's what I imagine her to be saying!  I'll be interested to here what the biologists say, you are probably right - they have to speed things up.  For her to survive on her own she will need her skills. 

I will miss her, she's honestly the sweetest chick ever..so cute and round, and I love the expressions on her face, they are just priceless  :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #636 on: July 26, 2008, 18:43 »
I only have a few from today. One is her telling mom off.

the eagles do this also.
A photo shoot

This is really my best side

Where were you, I am hungry and i am tired of all this mess

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2008, 18:37 »
She is really growing up.  We have had 5 in this box but as they get older they flap outside and then on the box. One year the female had them jump fly to the roof below and left the youngest one in the box.

A few pictures from yesterday and then today
aren't I cute

a feed

Mom cleaning some food dad brought in

copying mom with the cooling effect

a closeup of bent wings

You really want me to try this again??

maybe if I stand on it. ::)

one wing stretch

They really want me to eat this stuff without cooking it

wing stretch again