Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178076 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2008, 18:24 »
I went down to the university around 1:30 Alberta time. I was hoping to see where adults were keeping themselves but could not see anyone. then I had to go inside for a few minutes and when I came out I heard the young one cacking. so I stood and waited and then out came an adult and sat on the outside perch looking out. the young one cacked the whole time.  then the adult flew off and I tried to keep up with it.  I will have to stand a block over next time.  so I did not see where it went but soon one falcon was soaring over the buildings the male uses to roost. I am not sure who it was but they soar so effortlessly.  And then out of sight.  My husband and i went back to the site and we could see a bit of the young miss in the left corner

It wa warm today so I think they were lying low.
I know that they keep the box in sight and looked at all the places I could but no cigar.
We will go a bit later tomorrow an dwe may have more luck.

We have the big car races here right now and traffic is very busy  so it takes longer to get there.

We are expecting a storm again so that is why i went earlier .

The young miss is doing what they all do.  They cack for food.
I am thinking that they are on a time clock that has her more advanced than she is but it should not hurt her as long as she gets fed.
Not to discredit this female but she sure does not spend the time with her baby as last years did and the one before that.  Last years was just a 2 year old also. having said that , as I said before it could be due to the late arrival of the wee one and they have to get this show on the road.
I will ask my biologist friend.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2008, 18:14 »
Mom was home again, and was feeding Cassie.  Mom took off and didn't leave any prey. 
Chick is now hopping about and flapping a bit.  Imagine the scene if there were two or three chicks now her size in this nest, all interested in stretching their wings.   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #632 on: July 26, 2008, 16:03 »
Yay just checked in again and mom is home on the outside..oh I see some cacking  ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #631 on: July 26, 2008, 15:46 »
What a difference in her appearance since the banding photos!
Lunch must have eventually gone well as there is little but feathers left.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #630 on: July 26, 2008, 15:12 »
Wow ...you can see half her flight wings now!! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #629 on: July 26, 2008, 13:03 »
Afternoon check on the chick..she's looking cute and gazing out of the box..still alone...    Oh and here is mom with lunch!! Lol..wish I could capture the look on cassie's face.  Mom drops off lunch and flys out and she's looking up with this look in her eyes..like oh no..not again with the pick apart your own lunch..what have I done to deserve this fate  ??? 

And back in the corner to pout..awww.. ;) hey it worked last time  :P

She's just too cute!!! ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #628 on: July 26, 2008, 10:58 »
We need to get mom to put cassie on her back when she throws a tantrum if that's the case  ;D.  Before I went out earlier I saw mom bring her food and she was so upset she just ignored mom and went to stand in the corner and pout.  Then she turned around and started telling mom off again and poor mom just kind of looked at her and I half expected her to roll her eyes..hehe.  Anyway she finally yelled her head off long enough and mom fed her but she was kind of trying to show her how to do it herself.

It looks like there is still some breakfast left there or it may just be a big feather..hard to tell when the sun's in there.  I think our girl is not used to being left on her own so much either.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #627 on: July 26, 2008, 09:34 »
It's my understanding that when birds are positioned on their backs they calm right down. I forget why (never trust my brain memory cells anymore). Tracy could probably fill in the gap that my brain has left.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #626 on: July 26, 2008, 07:33 »
 8:31 am and our girl is sitting in the box looking out by herself again, she looked down a bit and I thought 'Bev is that you down there!"..hehe give her a wave for us when you see her today!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #625 on: July 25, 2008, 23:00 »
This is a fabulous slide show.  Being held by her legs, seeing all that adorable white fluff and those huge eyes, what a gorgeous baby!  You've taken a great bunch of photos bev.  Thank you for sharing that day with us.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #624 on: July 25, 2008, 22:54 »
thank-you. My first slide show.

The young miss did not cack until they picked her up and then when her feet were held a certain way she just looked at you.
I could have just squeezed her. the parent did not squawk until they saw all of us on the roof and then boy oh boy.  They just kept swooping back and forth . I could not click fast enough. My camera jammed as dad hovered above. It was awesome. 
they are such a beautiful bird.

they do not name their babes here. Just go by band numbers and I am sorry I did not ask the band number as I did not want to intrude too much.
tracy can probably get it.

I will be going down to th e site tomorrow to see where the parents are when the babe is alone.  I know they are close by but I want to check it out.

I have some shots form today but I will post them tomorrow as I think I have reached an over limit today.
she is growing fast.

what a mess in there eh!!
Hope they come and take it away

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #623 on: July 25, 2008, 22:42 »
Wow! What wonderful pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them with us, Bev.
Ditto - Thanks Bev!!!!  ;D

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #622 on: July 25, 2008, 22:22 »
Wow! What wonderful pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them with us, Bev.

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #621 on: July 25, 2008, 21:29 »
The close ups with Missy rolled onto her back with her talons in the air...wow, those nails look deadly sharp!   :o  Was she cacking the whole time?  Were the parents squawking?  

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #620 on: July 25, 2008, 21:28 »
Beautiful shots of mom, dad and our little girl!  Thank you Bev!