Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178121 times)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #604 on: July 25, 2008, 15:13 »
Carly, that is really funny.  I am sure that this little chick is quite spoiled!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #603 on: July 25, 2008, 15:08 »
I've noticed she's been alone most of the day so I expect the conversation went something like "where have you been!!!, cutest daughter eeeever here needs some attention, how dare you leave me here by myself, what if the man comes back!! and where's lunch!?! or I suppose you're just going to toss another carcass in here and expect me to break a talon or chip my beak trying to process it???  hmmm...hmm...did I mention how cute I am?" ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #602 on: July 25, 2008, 14:38 »
cacking alert!  Mom has shown up, and the chat seems to be much more vocal at the moment, and definitely one sided.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #601 on: July 25, 2008, 12:24 »
every once in awhile I see the young miss try and pick at the bird so I tink that may be the strategy here.  The biologist told me that when she is screaming it is called cacking.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #600 on: July 25, 2008, 10:48 »
Hmm...jsut switched to the inside cam and looks like unfinished 'food' there or a massive pile of feather?  I did see mom feed her earlier but maybe she didn't finish as she's trying to encourage the dining training lessons.

Eithr way the little one is settled into the corner napping.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #599 on: July 25, 2008, 09:02 »
10:01 and breakfast is finally served to our seemingly starving girl..hehe..not! :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #598 on: July 25, 2008, 07:20 »
8:18 am: cassie screaming her lungs out, head back and mouth wide open.  Mom shows up and she lets her have it.  Mom jumps in the box and cassie still yelling at her!  Chicklet faces the wall in a pout and mom jumps up on ledge; breakfast must be late  :P

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #597 on: July 25, 2008, 07:01 »
8:00 am EST and little chick is in the box, looks like she's trying to tear at something - doesn't look like a big peice but might be leftovers and she's just practicing what mom showed her yesterday.

She's moved to the edge of the box and mouth is moving like she's calling out.  She's showing more black today, can really see more of the feather tips.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #596 on: July 25, 2008, 06:36 »
she's getting SO big !.. thanks for the pictures... !

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #595 on: July 24, 2008, 21:52 »
Look at her go.  Is she doing another practice self feeding thing?  She really is tearing around the nest box occasionally moving bits of prey.  Or perhaps she has a tendency of her grandpa Trey's for housekeeping!
Taking a break now, head on ledge, waiting for a parent.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #594 on: July 24, 2008, 21:11 »
Oh my god I missed that episode!  That was awesome, so glad you captured it for us Bev...lol I love that chick, she's going to be quite the little miss when she grows up..like her mom and grandmom! 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #593 on: July 24, 2008, 19:34 »
Bev, what a fabulous illustrated story line!  The "piece of her mind" was probably pretty loud, and we might be glad of no audio.  Little Miss looks like she is standing on her legs now, doesn't she.  Can she sort of shuffle, if not hop, as she drags that prey about?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #592 on: July 24, 2008, 19:14 »
mom finally comes in and the miss is giving her a piece of her mind . Mom does eventually go in and feed

this was quite the sight. You had to really see it in person.   Mom is feeding her now but is sort of showing her the ropes at the same time

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #591 on: July 24, 2008, 19:05 »
I have a lot of nice pictures today but I have to send these right now and I hope Tracy will bear with me. Baby is trying to self feed and it is so cute.
she pulls that thing all around but i so not think she is getting any.I need to go out but I was waiting for the parent to come and feed her so I know that they did .I thought that she was going to fall out backwards at one point because she was pulling it.and she was hanging out the nest . I could not get it.
Is on top of it here

pulls it to corner

Now out of corner

takes a wee break

now dragging it back to corner

pullin on it in corner

back to mid nest

oh mommmy!! I do not think I am ready for this

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #590 on: July 24, 2008, 16:35 »
When does our chick start actual hopping, rather than the bum bumping locomotion?  Not wishing for her to grow up too soon, but wondering, besides more wing stretching, what is the next developmental milestone?