Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178077 times)

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #619 on: July 25, 2008, 21:23 »
Most impressive slideshow Bev GOOD JOB!!!!!!! 

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #618 on: July 25, 2008, 21:22 »
 ;D Bev, they're awesome!  You took a lot of beautiful shots.  Great close ups of Missy with those big gorgeous eyes.  Do you know when they plan to name her or if they are going to?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #617 on: July 25, 2008, 21:21 »

some still of the babe

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #616 on: July 25, 2008, 21:14 »
they do not migrate with their parents. the adults do not migrate together either

I am hoping this slide show works  the pictures are from last to first. sorry but I have never done this before and I ws going to have to rearrange so I hope you enjoy,.I could have done them bigger but I was not sure if this forum would accept them. Hope they are O.K.

I will put some stills of the babe in another spot Click on the picture and the slide show will start

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 21:18 by bev. »

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #615 on: July 25, 2008, 20:46 »
I hadn't thought of that carly -- would she migrate with her parents, in this case? 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #614 on: July 25, 2008, 20:24 »
Thanks Bev, I would appreciate that as she won't have any siblings to migrate with to keep her company so I want her to be strong and ready!  She does have good genes though and that's something  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #613 on: July 25, 2008, 20:19 »
I will ask your questions when I see the biologist. but On Monday I asked her if she would have enough time to learn the ropes and she said no problem..It is maybe a blessing there is only one becasue they will have more time to spend with her.

They usually do not bring the whole prey in this soon but remember th echick is later and they may be going by their time clock.  this is good for her as she will catch on quicker with no one to grab from her.

She did a good job yesterday ,although she got no food I am sure, bu ther actions were great.

Our female adult usually stays until the beginning of October and the young ones usually leave the second or third week in September.

Mark Nash told me once that they will look for dead birds etc. on roof tops or on the ground. 
she is really only 2 weeks behind and hopefully we will have a nice September.

slide show still coming. I had way too many pictures :-[ :-[

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #612 on: July 25, 2008, 20:09 »
A question I wanted to ask, being that she is a late baby - will the parents keep her with them longer or still encourage her to migrate in September?   Would they encourage her to stay until October to give her more time to perfect her flying and hunting skills?

If she fledges 2nd week of august, that will only give her a month to learn what she needs to know to survie and that's a bit of a crunch.  

I have seen the parents here leave food Liz, in Etobicoke the parents did it but not this early and like Radisson they'd end up feeding them the first week or so until they got the hang of it. 

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #611 on: July 25, 2008, 20:01 »
I don't remember seeing this before -- the idea of leaving food there for her to figure out what to do with it.  It's a great one!  Anyone seen other parents do it?  My experience, with chicks with sibs, is that they grab it just to get it all for themselves.  Otherwise, parent feeds them.  Different dynamic. 

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #610 on: July 25, 2008, 19:24 »
See, Mom's in feeding her again.   :P  She may take a little longer to fledge...that's okay, I don't mind.   ;)

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #609 on: July 25, 2008, 19:18 »
 :)  She's way too spoiled. 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #608 on: July 25, 2008, 19:06 »
Another lesson in self serve.  Mom brought in the prey, dropped it and hopped back out. After a few pecks and drags around, chick went to the edge and cacked.  Mom came back in and began to feed the chick.  All seemed well for our girl, then Mom hopped out again, leaving the prey.  Looking a bit confused, then put out, our Miss flounced to the corner.  Mom came back in and began pulling at the prey, but chick held out, pouting awhile.  Now Chickie is letting herself be tempted and has come back to be fed.   

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #607 on: July 25, 2008, 18:42 »
Mom has been standing guard and watching chick nap.  Missy is now awake and so far peacefully looking out with Mom nearby.  An afternoon nap does wonders for a cranky girl!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #606 on: July 25, 2008, 15:46 »
I know, she's cacking her heart out ... it's hard to watch..I wish I was there I'd put a little stuffed chick in there with her for company  :D

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #605 on: July 25, 2008, 15:41 »
LOL Carly  ;D  She looks so lonely, nobirdy to play with.   :'(