Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178058 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #664 on: July 28, 2008, 07:07 »
Breakfast delivered at 8:01 and mom fed her for a bit.  I don't see any leftovers in the box so either it was a smaller breakfast or she just inhaled it =p

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #663 on: July 28, 2008, 06:48 »
7:46 am and our little chicklet is wide awake and cacking as she looks out - always in the same direction so she must see either mom or dad somewhere maybe?  I noticed the last week or so she's wide awake when I come into work, usually she'd be sound asleep but I guess she's growing up  :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #662 on: July 27, 2008, 22:46 »
I noticed your puddles on the roof below, on the road behind, and huge drop marks on the cam1 view side of the nest box.  Good decision to stay in, Bev!

Yes, that second picture looks like one of those My Little Pony toys my daughters had about 15 years ago!  It is exciting to see her starting to stretch those wings.

You did hit the ground running after your visit to the Eagle Fledge Fest, but maybe when it is a good time you can share some of that event on the Forum?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #661 on: July 27, 2008, 22:10 »
what a nest eh!! She started so well by taking out the leftover prey but now tha t she is trying to get her daughter to eat herself nothing leaves. 

As you can see by camera 1 we just had another storm. I was going to go down tonight but thought better of it. so tired of the storms.
I talked to the biologist today and she said that the chicks can start picking food at 3 -4 weeks of age so this is O.K.

I was out checking on another falcon nest  in the outlying area today. will go back next weekend as I could only see the adult.

I have a few pictures
One from last night  during the thunder storm.

I could not preview them tonight for some reason so I could not put captions in but the last picture shows her saying . what is that pounding :o :o

doesn't she look like one of those winged horses in the second picture ;D ;D

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 22:12 by bev. »

lobi

« Reply #660 on: July 27, 2008, 20:51 »
Just finished reading all the entries and checked out your slideshow and pictures, Bev.  Thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge of these falcons with us.  And the pictures...Awesome!   ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #659 on: July 27, 2008, 19:25 »
Lol...good point!!  :D :D :D

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #658 on: July 27, 2008, 19:22 »
Maybe what she learned from him is that it's the man's job to clean the house.   ;)  LOL 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #657 on: July 27, 2008, 19:13 »
 :D :D :D I was just thinking that!  Good god what a mess!  I think I just saw mom feed her some?  Maybe she just stared it off or is that just a fluffy wing I'm seeing..so hard to tell.  I can't believe that girl is Trey's...hehe!  she must be the 'anti-Trey' - what happens when genetics backfire  :P

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #656 on: July 27, 2008, 19:09 »
Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between chicklet and dinner in that nest! 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #655 on: July 27, 2008, 19:02 »
"...that really cute female chick that was the only one born to our Radisson in 2008."     ;D  ;D  ;D
...is now cacking her lungs out.
Mom visited chickie with dinner, and showed her how to get started, fed her a few bits, then stayed on the rails encouraging her little one to keep eating.  Chick did more effort than she has before, but has given up and just wants someone, ANYONE, to come back and feed her.
It worked!  Thank you, Mommy!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 19:04 by bcbird »

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #654 on: July 27, 2008, 18:55 »
She is gorgeous.  Thanks again for the pics, bev.  I too love your commentary! 

Since they don't name their chicks (hmm..?), I am now officially dubbing her Cassandra.  That's easier than, "...that really cute female chick that was the only one born to our Radisson in 2008."     ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #653 on: July 27, 2008, 14:48 »
Mom just flew in after a bit of cacking from our girl.  Lovely little cuddle, now Mom is perched watchfully on the rail while chickie has returned to cacking intermittently.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #652 on: July 27, 2008, 09:58 »
Mom has been there for the last 3 hours and what a calming affect that has had on our girl!  She's been quiet and relaxed and seems to be enjoying watching mom preen, taking notes no doubt  :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #651 on: July 27, 2008, 09:14 »
My, she is growing. so many more pinfeathers.not the best shot of her today but I hope you can all see that back etc.  I am off to church but hopefully I will have better captures later

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #650 on: July 27, 2008, 07:13 »
Wow you should see her this morning!!  She's changed so much overnight, lots of color now coming in and more wing movement..she's just beautiful! 

She's growing up so fast, soon she'll be giving us fits trying to stand on the lip of the ledge!  ;D