Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178061 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #694 on: July 30, 2008, 14:04 »
Holy!  Tracy, may we borrow your shovel to clean up that nestbox?   ;D 

Backhoe more like :o   Hard to believe Radisson is Trey's daughter!!   :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #693 on: July 30, 2008, 13:02 »
Our girl likes the feather bed  :P, she's a princess after all :D

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #692 on: July 30, 2008, 12:14 »
Holy!  Tracy, may we borrow your shovel to clean up that nestbox?   ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #691 on: July 30, 2008, 11:15 »
Inside camera has been frozen for me since 5:40 this morning so I'm using cam 3.  Mom is outside and baby in box yelling for awhile.  Mom entered box and baby yelled at her but as I can't see inside, no idea what it's about.  Mom back outside and both of them seem to be diverted by something - dad flying by with lunch perhaps? 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #690 on: July 30, 2008, 06:45 »
Morning!  Glad to hear mom showed  up to spend the nite with our girl, I had to go to bed so I didn't see her come back.

7:44 am and our girl is up and active,, she's staring at something outside the box intently...is that you down there Bev??? hehe... :D

7:57: something has definitely caught her eye down there, she's cacking away and leaning over...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:57 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #689 on: July 30, 2008, 00:57 »
the girl is not alone tonight :) :)

I am pleased about that.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #688 on: July 29, 2008, 22:26 »
I had a return email from Lisa Dockman to my frantic query last week on banding day:

Hello,
I would like to thank you for your concern about the peregrine falcon chick. The morning of Monday July 21st was when the chick was banded. This task usually does not take much time, however the biologists kept the chick from the nest in an effort to catch the female adult to attach a radio-tag to her in order to better monitor her migration. This attempt was unsuccessful, but that is why the chick was 'missing' for so long.
However, I should mention that the fledgling will begin to learn to fly soon, so please do not be alarmed if the chick is missing more frequently.
I apologize for the late response, I was on vacation and then I was getting into contact with the Peregrine biologists to be better able to answer your question. Again, thank you for your interest.
Cheers,
Lisa Dockman, BSc
Director, ECOS
Environmental Coordination Office of Students
And my reply:

Hello Lisa,
Thank you for answering my question about the peregrine chick. 
I got the news of the banding from Bev who was with the biologists during the banding of the chick, and the attempted trapping for transmitter attachment of the adult female.
The webcam on this nestbox has a very large following thanks to publicity through the Canadian Peregrine Foundation.  In particular, the bunch of us from the Manitoba Peregrine Falcon Project Forum are avidly following the progress of the chick, as the mother is the offspring of the current resident pair at the Winnipeg Radisson.  We call her Radisson and have named the chick Cassie (Cassandra).
Is there a planned fledge watch to enable rescue should the fledgling have perilous landings/crashes?
Thank you again for responding, and please forward our appreciation to those who make this webcam site available.
Sincerely,
Diane Gatley

Just in case they think no one is out there!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #687 on: July 29, 2008, 20:57 »
Great shots Bev, sorry was posting same time as you it seems..lol..and yes the eaglet chicklet and this one are pretty resiliant..girl power  ;D ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #686 on: July 29, 2008, 20:54 »
Mom jsut dropped in for a quick visit, thought she had food in her talons.  I saw cassie open her mouth really wide and she kept it open for quite a while.  Then I thought saw a feather in mom's mouth but nothing went into cassie's- and she flew off???  

Hehe.. I guess that's all mom represents now..food..lol...see mom or dad, open mouth and wait for deposit..thanks for coming out, now go away  :D

She's been good today, not as much cacking and she seemed more resigned to being on her own..learning to be independent which is good.  She had some good feeds today too so that might have helped :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #685 on: July 29, 2008, 20:50 »
I have been watching most of the day as I am an observer on Delta so I have both cams up. Mypoor husband!!1

The female has been taking out the meaty part of the prey but unfortunately the feathers remain. Her favorite position is with her head resting on the box lip and looking out or sleeping.  I t was warm once the day got going which was a surprise as it was supposed to rain gain.  Our girl had fledged this time last year. As a matter of fact she had been out almost a week by now.

If this one has half the tenacity of the eaglet at Delta she will be fine . It is that first flight and I will promise that I will be glued to the cam when I think that is about to happen. I will be at the uni as much as possible also. I am drafting my letter to the web people to see if they will help in a fledge watch.

I have a few nice shots today. ONe shows how her head area is really becoming falcon like

No lack of food today that is for sure.
one side pose

can you find me??

really cacking at mom

Wow, I am a falcon

F taking out food but she needs to take out feathers also

Ready for take off(sorry about the add)

see my feathers

now the other side

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #684 on: July 29, 2008, 18:30 »
I cannot believe how much she's grown and changed in 24 hours! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #683 on: July 29, 2008, 18:01 »
Our girl has been alone alot today, save for feedings.  She's getting very curious looking out alot.  Shouldn't be long before she attempts her escape  :)  She's gets more beautiful every day  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #682 on: July 29, 2008, 12:48 »
She's there Eli, she's standng up against the back wall atm.  When she lays down, she gets lost amongst the feathers  :(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #681 on: July 29, 2008, 12:38 »
I don't see the chick in the nestbox.  Is she really there?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #680 on: July 29, 2008, 11:30 »
Since the Radisson (and Radisson's) chick is going to fledge shortly, I'm going to lock down this thread and start up part 4.  Not only do we have enough, but it will make it easier for folks to get to the "good stuff".

We are locked.