Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177991 times)

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #799 on: August 06, 2008, 11:08 »
Bev and Carly, I appreciate the pictures so much - I tried to connect to the cams but my computer had a hissy fit so I stopped trying. Don't know enough about this thing to keep pushing (as if I knew which direction to push.) So the only contact I have is through your posts and the pictures. They're great!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #798 on: August 06, 2008, 07:57 »
She has moved to left side . Must have taken it with her as I was posting and it looks fresh.
How far she has come in  a week.
Now I must go

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #797 on: August 06, 2008, 07:49 »
I am on my way to work out but she picked that up from the left corner this morning and then ran onto to the inside perch with it ;D ;D
what a Gal.

she probably will go to the outside perch next and then to the roof of the box.  they all seem to take off from the roof. And we want her to go left as that nasty building is to her right and in front
I will do what I can and I will e-mail again today.

She has been picking in the both corners earlier this morning but I see she has been in the rt corner for some time so maybe something was dropped off when I was making brekkie

Just a few shots.  the last 2 are from last nihgt. giving us an idea of how long she is

Look ma, I found a piece

Come and say good night

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #796 on: August 06, 2008, 07:03 »
7:58 am EST and our big girl is standing on the ledge looking out intently at something - must see an adult cause she's moving side to side ready to pounce! 

Bev, I can't believe you got no response and am so sorry to hear that.  Like bally said most of us would jump at the chance to help if we could. 

Curiously I noticed that Cassie hasn't attempted to stand on the ledge bars yet.  I would expect she'd jump to those before she made any serious attempt at flying however birds have their own minds so far be it from me to make any predictions!

Oh ..she's got something in her mouth and has now run into her eating corner - oh now wings are out full span...must have had a food drop before I logged on.  She's like a jumping bean this morning..so full of energy.  I am still nursing my coffee...lol, wish I had her spunk!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #795 on: August 05, 2008, 22:52 »
I e-mailed Lisa at the university and asked her to put on the site .anyone interested in helping with a fledge watch, to contact her and I would take care of the rest.  I have never heard back.

I have no way of knowing who around Edmonton watches the site and so I cannot contact them except through the site :( :( :(

I f the biologists are around they will be checking the site but ....

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #794 on: August 05, 2008, 22:02 »
I wasn't suggesting that I thought she would catch some kind of bug or infection, just that I find it really disgusting.   :P

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #793 on: August 05, 2008, 20:58 »
Quote: "I am supposed to go out of town next week but I am going to stay home becasue she may fledge. and I have never heard back from the University"  Very dedicated of you Bev- I don't know HOW it could be that people aren't interested in helping you out with the fledge-watch  :o- I think most of us would be lining up, pushing & shoving to get the chance!!!!  ::)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #792 on: August 05, 2008, 20:56 »
I also wanted to say that if they do pick up some bugs they will scratch them until they are gone.  Have you ever seen a bald blue jay at this time of year. that is what happens.  they get tics and scratch and molt and then new feathers grow in.

ON a ledge the old prey just blows off. this has no where to go.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #791 on: August 05, 2008, 20:53 »
They can make mistakes and I am just saying this becasue she is doing so well.  But I went back on last years pictures the female was the same.  I just forgot that she gave me a heart attack also.

I am going to be prepared just in case they made a mistake. Remember , they go by weight and are most often right but, in a few cases they have been wrong.  No worries. I just want to be prepared so I will really be watching her as much as I can.

I am supposed to go out of town next week but I am going to stay home becasue she may fledge. and I have never heard back from the University >:( >:(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #790 on: August 05, 2008, 20:51 »
Well I'm off to sleep, it should be safe as I'm sure she won't go flying anywhere now and I'll miss it.hehe.  I'll look forward to reading more antics about our girl in the morning!

I love when she sits in the corner and looks out  :D.. I'm inclined to think she's a she given her size next to mom but hey you never know..  I remember out in Hamilton I think it was, 2 of the girls turned out to be boys =p 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #789 on: August 05, 2008, 20:46 »
I think Cassie is fine, the biologist report on the home page said they found her to be healthy and clean at the time of banding so I"m guessing if anything were to buzz around her..she'd probably eat it..lol.. ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #788 on: August 05, 2008, 20:24 »
Thanks Bev for the great shots!  We were so busy looking at her scream that we missed the food in the feet. Seriously I thought for a second she was going to jump mom/dad..lol.  Poor parents don't have it easy either, they are just doing what's best for her but she doesn't understand that yet  :)

On the plus side, she's going to be a fierce peregrine, very good for survival  ;D

Look how tall and proud she looks standing on the perch now.
Wow, totally missed that there was prey despite the 10 seconds of frozen frame!  I'm very happy we can watch the self feeding. Other nests there is so much competition and dragging off to corners that it's hard to see the actual eating.  What a show our Cassie is giving us!

she is doing a good job on self feeding and I am wondering if she is a he but  we will have sot wait.
I am going to go back and look at my pictures from last year

Bev, why is there now any question of sex?  I thought at the banding the weight was definitive of female?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #787 on: August 05, 2008, 20:09 »
At this stage there is nothing that  can be done about the box.  If they were to try and clean it it would spook her into possibly flying and she is not ready. 

As I keep saying, they are bringing in food enough to feed 3 or 4 and there is just her.  the box has been messy before but never like this. 
If it  is any consolation she tends to sleep at the very front where it is cleaner.

she is doing a good job on self feeding and I am wondering if she is a he but  we will have sot wait.
I am going to go back and look at my pictures from last year

In this shot if you did not know you would think an adult is in the box... It is not clear but...

I sure hope I am going to be able to tell after she fledges who is who.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #786 on: August 05, 2008, 20:04 »
Yeah, I know that.  They tell you not to pick up any dead bird you might find, for that reason.  But live ones don't have the death bugs -- CSI!   ;)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #785 on: August 05, 2008, 19:08 »
Uh oh...the screamin starts again...!  there we go, mama is home  ;D and she's gone..lol..dang she's zippy!

As for the state of the box, yeah mom is a bit messy to say the least.  That being said...although birdies might look cute, in reality they can be full of bugs and lice and other not so nice things.  We usually don't get to see that stuff up close though but when I went to the banding we were warned not to touch them without gloves on because of that. 

She's not scratching alot so that's a good sign  :o :o