Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177601 times)

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1084 on: August 19, 2008, 11:56 »
Great News indeed. Again thanks to bev I would be in the dark and with the computer problems I've been having I can't check in as often either.  Thank-you Bev.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:30 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1083 on: August 18, 2008, 20:24 »
What wonderful news!!  I'm so happy that Cassie and Hope are bonding :D :D  I've noticed that juveniles are very playful and affectionate with each other and am so relieved to hear they are like that even with foster sisters and brothers ... they really are wonderful  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 16:41 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1082 on: August 18, 2008, 19:59 »
I was down at the site this morning and I was so excited.  As soon as I got out of the car peregrines were flying . I knew one for sure was a juvenile.  i looked over to moms building and then one flew back to the jut on the nest building. then it flew cacking back to moms building.

I went up to the parkade and guess what .  Both juveniles were together on the same ledge.  Dad flew off and mom was on the ledge on the other side of her building.
 They were so adorable together and had their heads together.  We waited around for quite awhile and I could have missed a feeding.  When we left Dad was on the new apartment building, mom was on the side of her building and the juveniles were on the front of her building together. they appeared to be preening each other.
It was 36 degrees today and very hot .

They are flying well.  I did not think they would be over there this soon .  that is a good sign. We had a severe  storm last night and I think we are in for a good one tonight also.

I had to use my little camera but will download and see what  I have later.

Cheers

bev.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1081 on: August 18, 2008, 06:39 »
Thanks for report Bev.  We appreciate the time you take to go look out for our girl(s)  :D  Good to hear everything is going well.  I've still go the cam up just in case they do decide to visit home again.  It's funny I've seen mom a few times looking in the box - but no attempts to clean up yet..lol..guess she's waiting for Molly Maid to come in  ;D ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1080 on: August 18, 2008, 02:10 »
I went to the site yesterday and missed a feeding and it was very hot. I only saw the adults. 

It has been hard to go at the time I want with company.  sorry.

I went today and with all the  detours due to soma sports events I got there later than what I wanted.   I was at the site from 11:45 to 2:00. So I think I missed the feed again.

I saw one juvenile for sure flying nicely and 2 others .  Even though I want to believe one was a juvenile I think  they were both the adults.

Twofalcons were on the back of th e nest building.  ONe was and adult for sure but I amf not sure if the other was an  adult or a juvenile( I kind of  think they were both adults but not sure.

Well I was watching a falcon flew overhead a few times and ended up on the roof of the jut of the nest building.  I am sure this was Cassie.  good flying  .
I watched and waited but I was only one set of eyes and so when I went  back behind the nest building one was gone and then while I was there the other one left also but  I just am not sure.

The juvenile started to cack as and adult passed overhead and flew to moms building.( As I said I am sure this was Cassie.

Fingers are crossed.

I will go again tomorrow when I have time

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:31 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1079 on: August 16, 2008, 22:04 »
Super news, seems like all is going really well for the whole family, new addition and all!!! (Hope is a great name!!) ;D - Great reporting Bev, what a treat to see Cassie & Hope in the same pic!!  8)

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1078 on: August 16, 2008, 17:53 »
Wow - very cool reports, bev!  Thanks much for all the detail and the photos.  I sure wish I could see them in person, but this is the next best.   ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1077 on: August 16, 2008, 16:34 »
5:33 pm EST and mom at the nestbox - has her head twirled right around looking backwards.. :D  Just put the cam up while I"m doing laundry in case someone came to visit and she did - now if the kids would just visit  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1076 on: August 16, 2008, 15:54 »
Wonder if they had a tug of war over dinner..hehe.. :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1075 on: August 16, 2008, 13:09 »
I am out with company but I thought I would do up this picture of both girls awaiting dad to finish preparing supper
I will redo this one later but you can see a bit  Our girl is on the right and Hope is on the left

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1074 on: August 16, 2008, 08:13 »
Thanks Bev..now get some rest!  ;)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1073 on: August 16, 2008, 08:10 »
I am going back to bed but I just quickly did these so you could see Hopes 4 flights.  the first one was a bit shaky but after that nice long flaps.   Cassie had no trouble as far as I could see

Where Hope ends up is where Cassie flew in and the were together and that is where they were fed,

In #3. she goes behind the building but I just could not draw behind :) :)

the rest will be later

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1072 on: August 16, 2008, 07:51 »
Yay..and yay again!  Both kids together, both flying and both being fed..that's awesome news Bev and sets my mind at ease  :D

Great choice of a name, Hope - I like it!  Now our girl has a sister to play with  ;D ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1071 on: August 16, 2008, 07:45 »
Part 11

-Then Hope spreads her wings and she flies all around the Heart building and around the back (my heart did stop becasue I could not see her ). and then there she was and landed on  the jut again.  After a bit she flew back onto top top of Heart building.  She remained there cacking.

Then Mom flew up there and then
HOLD YOUR BREATH

IN COMES CASSIE :-* :-*
It all happened so fast and she came in cacking .I did not get the flight because it just happened.  Now Mom flies over to the jut of nest building and Cassie goes out of sight and Hope stays put but then the cacking starts.

Dad makes his appearance with prey and does a fly by right overhead ,past the kids and over to mom.  they chat and then Mom goes to her building.(I can imagine the conversation becasue they sere just a chatting it up) ;D ;D

Then dad did another flyby and went back to jut of building an dafter a wait of 10 minutes he started to defeather . I am sure he had  a few bites.

Now both of the kids are in view and the are a cacking.

Dad finally flies over to the heart building but further down on the roof and the kids are cacking .
He eventually steps down and drops the prey .

( My company and peter have arrived during this, and my friend.  Everyone is hungry and I tell them I am not leaving until the kids are eating.  ;D ;D)

We went down to the street and the cacking stopped and dad flew off to his building . so the kids must have moseyed over to eat.

We ate at the University (too late Manitoba time to head home and  cook ;) ;))

So when we left after dinner all was quiet.  Dad was gone somewhere(probably for his own dinner) Mom was on the jut of building and no sign of kids . but I am sure they were sleeping after a good meal.

Pictures as soon as I can.
So guys.
Two kids and Two adults :-* :-* I may not get this lucky again. Now a few prayers as the kids get more adventurous.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:47 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1070 on: August 16, 2008, 07:31 »
Well, guys what a treat Last night. Peter went to the airport to pick up company an dropped me at University.

When I got there there was a juvenile on on of the silver columns just on ledge of the roof where Cassie fell to last Saturday.

It did not take me long to figure out this was HOPE from Red Deer. I have named her that becasue this site ha given her a new Hope .  She did look like she needs some tender care but is bigger and a bit darker than Cassie.

An adult came by but not close to her and she started cacking. She cacked quite a bit and I thought I sure hope she is getting fed. I kept looking and when her beak was shut I could hear   fainter cacking  so I knew Cassie was around also.

Then I saw a falcon on another part of heart building further down and I am not sure f it was Cassie or not becasue of shadows . I took a far off shot anyway.  then the falcon flew low down(my heart stopped) in front of nest building and then soared higher and around the heart building and I could not see it .

I must tell you that I got what pictures I could but people kept stopping me an dI missed that shot. they were so interested and then a lady stopped me who is president of Bird watchers association in Alberta and work at heart building so she is coming out today in the morning.

Any how Hope kept cacking and My heart went out to her as the adult just never came too close
Then  there was quite a fly around of peregrines (2 for sure and I do believe it was the adults but one may have been Cassie.  Too hard to tell and then they went out by mom and dads buildings and one  left and one went on dads antennae .

All the while Hope is cacking and then she starts flapping(what big wing span).

I rush up to top of parkade becasue I can see better there.  I know pictures won't be as good but it is better there.

Adult leaves dads antennae and Hope just continues to look around. Then she just spreads her wings and flies to top of Heart building.(I nearly wet myself :-[ :-) I got one picture and then just kept cheering her on . WOW!!!

She kept flapping and I am saying that is enough , when she  takes off again and flies to the jut out where Cassie made her first flight to.
She was behind the light there but I saw her wings.

Continued on next reply. I do not want to get timed out again
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:31 by The Peregrine Chick »