Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177602 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1054 on: August 14, 2008, 05:09 »
Thank you for the update and the pictures Bev, nice to see her safe and sound  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1053 on: August 14, 2008, 00:03 »
Bev, thank you so much once again for all your great reports and pics! It's wonderful to see pics of Cassie - she looks really good. It must have been quite something to see her close up. It is good to know that so far she has been doing well, and the fact that she can gain height is very encouraging. Thank you for keeping watch over her. She is lucky to have you looking out for her.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:31 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1052 on: August 13, 2008, 23:52 »
Cassie   is still on the ledge. I was sure she was going to fly tonight.  the parents were sure trying.  She is stubborn but I want her to be ready. they are trying to get her to fly to the heart building.
I keep holding my breath and I want her to go but I am nervous at the same time. 
Mom and dad were both at the nestbox tonight. They both quickly flew in.  I sure hope Cassie is getting fed.  they are flying around a lot with prey in the talons and I saw mom this morning fly off with prey.

I think when I go there tomorrow she will be gone from there.I am confident she can make the flight.  I measured it out in my mind. she has to fly up a bit but she has done that before

she is sure cacking.  When I left tonight Cassie was perched at the right hand side of the ledge and mom was on the heart building where they want her to go.
I have a few pictures and then tomorrow I will pick the best of the rest and post them

This is where Cassie spent Monday night

Tonight Aug13

tonight aug13

tonight aug 13

tonight  aug 13

Monday before she flew but she had flown up here first.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1051 on: August 13, 2008, 20:32 »
9:29 pm and mom just flew in to the nestbox...she has something in her talons.  Oh looks like she's having a snack ..err was having - quick inhale of whatever it was.  Probably leftovers from Cassie's dinner.

9:40 and she flew off.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 20:40 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1050 on: August 13, 2008, 14:34 »
Yay..Cassie sighting and close up too!  Thanks Bev!!! :D :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1049 on: August 13, 2008, 14:26 »
Just came back from morning watch and OMG. I saw her up close.

I could not see her or hear her but I saw both adults on the new apartment building so I walked around the back . No sign of her and there were workers on the heart building.

then I went back and went in behind where she  had been on Monday night. I could not see her but could hear her and I thought it was coming from another roof. I was asking a group of people on their coffee break about the roof systems etc. and I thought she was back there.

Well he offered to take me up on a different roof of the nest building (I midi not know there were several levels. (one at the back). I know you  are saying get on with it BEv. ;D ;D

then he said well, lets us go up to the roof ledge where she has been. He said if we walk around the back we won,t disturb anything. And I thought she was on another building.

Well guys, he opened the door and there she was looking at us.Sorry no pictures as she was right thee and I did not want to spook her so we closed the door.

She is absolutely gorgeous.  Think of the nicest one you have seen and then think better. I would have loved to get a shot for you but why risk it.  We went down and out =side and I looked up and and an adult  flew in and out and on the heart building roof.

I did not see if there s a food delivery.  then another falcon came in and went down on the roof and Cassie was cacking.  It was mom and she came back on the ledge with a piece of prey in her talons and flew off with it to her building on the shady side.  (thief :) :))

So she is still there .  I have to clean some house and then I am of again.

what a beauty.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1048 on: August 13, 2008, 08:00 »
Mom is back on the nest box again...8:59 am, she is looking down but forward as if she's looking at that other ledge that is below them and..she's off again.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1047 on: August 13, 2008, 07:49 »
this works out good with people from different parts watching the cam as I can see hwat has happened before I get up :)

I am off to work out an dmake my lasagna for company coming in .
I will go down around 10:30 Alberta time.  that way when she starts cacking I can hear her.  If I cannot be there bright and early, I find if I go from 10:30 to 12:30 and then again around 3:30 -7:30 I can hear her. 
I would like to stay all day like on the weekend but I have things to do for company coming. 
I am always afraid I ma going to miss something but ... I do what I can.

See you later and if you see mom on the box please post as it gives me an idea where to start looking. 
So far it looks as if they are using the roof as home base.  I know they will start to wander further away soon.
I did not take pictures last night as there was not much happening but she is growing up. :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1046 on: August 13, 2008, 07:29 »
8:23 am EST and mom just arrived at the nest box.  She's outside preening and looking gorgeous.  Oh she's looking right at me now  :P  And she's off.. ???  that was quick..lol!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:31 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1045 on: August 12, 2008, 23:38 »
I can  sleep now also.  :) :) I would not have been able to leave if I could  not find her. I will continue to go down twice a day for the nest while until i see her soaring. My company will have to come with me.  Saturday is the only day I will only be able to go once. I might convince my friend to go down again.

Sorry pictures are so long coming. Snag in downloading.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1044 on: August 12, 2008, 21:46 »
Lol..I should be in bed but wanted to make sure she was okay!  I'm so glad she made it back up - that's a good sign, sometimes when they come down too low they can't get back up - the fact that she did means she is strong!!  What a relief!

Go eat and get some sleep Bev..you must be exhausted and thank you, thank you..I can sleep soundly knowing she's okay! :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1043 on: August 12, 2008, 21:40 »
it is 8:20 pm Edmonton time . I stayed at the site until 7:45
Well, we can breathe for another day.
I got down to the site and I saw on adult near the building , and then I just listened . sure enough Cassie started to cack. I listened and thought well, she is either back where she was last night or higher up.  I stood back and an adult came to the ledge of the roof where Cassie had been for 3 days .  and voila ,up popped Cassie. ;D ;D :-*
 I do not know if there was a feed as Cassie moved way to the left side and I saw some prey(maybe carcass) on the ledge. she made no attempt to get it .  the adult flew off and the other one remained where it was
Cassie continued to cack

I really looked around and saw the one adult up on the heart building eating and then it flew off. shortly after the other adult went up there. and then flew off

All were accounted for.

Cassie cacked o ff and on for  a bit and then sat looking around and then lay down on the ledge and slept while I twiddled my thumbs. :) :)
At about 7:00 pm Cassie started to cack . an adult made a fly by with prey and a short time later came to the ledge with a whole bird . Cassie cacking of course.  the adult waited until Cassie grabbed it out of his mouth and then flew off .  the bird fell onto the roof  and Cassie just cacked and then sat. Made no attempt to get it.  the adult was on dads antennae
A bout 20 minutes later Cassie started to cat walk and flap and I am telling her(JUmp down and get your food and eat) :) :)

After a few heart attacks ::) ::)she finally jumped down onto the roof.  so I figured , time to go .  As I was leaving I heard her cacking and the brat  ;) ;)jumped back on the roof ledge at the left.  I stayed for awhile longer and then she lay down on the ledge and then when I left she was sitting facing in. I do not know why she did not eat or ate just a bit.  Wither too full or it wasn't salted right ;D ;D

the main thing is , she is  safe for another day . And how about that . she made it ll the way back up.  I am impressed.. Good girl  CAssie.

I am out to eat now. 
will try and post more pictures later.

I just wanted to hug her :-* :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1042 on: August 12, 2008, 16:04 »
No, I am glad you said something. 
I am on my way down now. sun is out for a bit but looks black but I will see what I can. I have my duck boots umbrella and just my binoculars.

I will try and see what is up.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1041 on: August 12, 2008, 15:57 »
Ack Bev, sorry didn't mean to worry you too - I am concerned cause she was down so low last night.    That being said I'm probably worrying for nothing and she'll be just fine after some rest. 

When Radisson came back the second time, she looked relaxed and was preening so all must be well or she'd be in a state of alarm.  The first time she jsut looked puzzled but it could be that she could see Cassie and was trying to watch where she was going.

Anyway thanks for going out to check on her and my apologies for adding to your worries.. :-[ :-[

Great pics of our girl doing the catwalk...I'm with you, my heart would have been in my throat watching that from down below but thankfully we know she did just fine!

Oh..oh..mom is back again - 4:56 pm EST.  Cassie must be close by, maybe she's on the lower ledge again.  On the plsu side now she is looking up and across so that's encouraging!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1040 on: August 12, 2008, 15:10 »
and there they are. she was do funny to watch. Especially when she would put one foot talon) up. I wish we could have done a video . some are blurry as I tried to get as big as I could