Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177557 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1069 on: August 15, 2008, 16:00 »
Where ever they are, I hope they are together chatting about their lives and how they grew up and why oh why do they have to fly when life was so good at the nestboX - what with all the shade, a balcony to hang on and free room service  :P

Now we know where all the heat went, I swear to you - this summer has been for the ducks out here in the east..lol..and in fact one day in the driveway of my building there was a huge puddle and 2 ducks swimming in it - I kid you not, I just burst out laughing when I saw that  :o ;D

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1068 on: August 15, 2008, 12:48 »
I hope they have shade too!  I can relate. 

We're under a heat advisory that will last until Sunday night, and will probably hit 40C for the next three days.  Even when it's dry, that's hot (though I can still hang out in the shade if there is a breeze).

I wish I could go see them, but it'd be a bit of a hike!  Thanks for the pictures.   :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1067 on: August 15, 2008, 12:00 »
Going to be another scorcher today.

Peter and I went for 4 hours last night  and I was very frustrated.  Only saw mom on her balcony on her building  ,  then I went behind the nest box building and I heard cacking (not as loud as before but cacking) Feathers wee flying and 2 people sitting there said that an adult had been on the back tower and then moved over one and then disappeared.  there was no cacking heard at the front as normal and no juveniles in site.  A bit later mom came over and sat on a ledge adjacent to the nest box . a bit later we are 95 percent sure a juvenile flew from  behind the heart building to the roof of the nest building(the upper roof) It was cacking as it came in and mom did not budge. I thought it was an adult at first until it started to walk the upper ledge with wings out. the chest was brown . I walked and then disappeared behind the white thing at top. 
Mom sat on her perch for about 2 hours and no sound or movement anywhere else.

About 7:30 m0m flew to the top of her building looking all over. I think looking for dad.
After about 30 minutes she flew right over the nest building roof and disappeared behind. Peter went behind the building and saw mom on pillar at the back of the roof and then she disappeared form view.
Later I saw her fly out the front
  No sounds were heard.

so the best that I can tell you is I think they are up on the roof.  It is very long and wide and I hope there is shade and I believe at least one is flying :-\ :-\

1. where mom was 2. the arrow circled is where I last saw juvenile. It disappeared out of view 3> where the juvenile flew form and to

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1066 on: August 15, 2008, 07:38 »
8:36 am EST and another sunny, hot day for Cassie and her new 'sis', no sign of activity at the nest box so far.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1065 on: August 14, 2008, 17:14 »
Very Cool!!! - We'll have to name Cassie's new sister I suppose... :P It'll be nice for her to have some company finally, let us know what Mom & Dad think of their new kid!!  ;D

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1064 on: August 14, 2008, 16:14 »
I'm so glad to get all these interesting details - and I'm really curious to hear how Cassie reacts to having a new sibling!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1063 on: August 14, 2008, 16:00 »
The new female is a bout the same age as Cassie.
 They have fostered before and the parents have fed them all. this is a little later but the bilogists seem to think it is good. Last year they fostered 2 in just before the home chick was ready to fledge and the other 2 had already fledged shortly before.  It seems the females have most of the problems . the year before that they fostered on one in the nest of already 4 just before they all fledged.
Yes, carly, that is why I phoned the biologist.  He said she probably would have sorted herself out but a helping hand now might solve problems laster.

Now I am glad that Peter is home as both of us will be there tonight.  I have company coming in for 5 days but I will get sown at least once a day awhile they are here.  They are form Winnipeg but so I mention the connection surely they will help a home towner out. It is peters brother and his wife. Peter is from Winnipeg originally.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1062 on: August 14, 2008, 15:46 »
Wow and wow again.  I kind of had the feeling she would come down, she's a pretty big girl but that being said, once down they usually don't come down again cause they don't want to be handled by the nasty humans again  ;D.  Thankfully she didn't venture into traffic and it all turned out well.

And nice to know she may potentially have a play mate.  I sure hope they take care of her and it would be great for Cassie to have someone to practice her skills with and someone to migrate with!  Fingers and talons crossed  that they accept her and feed her;D   

I'll be on pins and needles now!

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1061 on: August 14, 2008, 15:29 »
 :) Wow, that's exciting, a playmate for Cassie.  I assume the young female from Red Deer is about the same age as Cassie?  We'll have to see if Radisson and mate will care for the new one.  Thanks for all the updates and pictures Bev, oh and to your Birdman for the Timmy runs.   ;D ;)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1060 on: August 14, 2008, 14:21 »
Wow again, Bev :o  What an adventure this is turning out to be.  ;D  I hope that everything turns out well for both of them.  Thank you again for all of your information and for the pictures.  I love the pictures where Cassie is displaying that awesome wingspan. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1059 on: August 14, 2008, 13:59 »
well guys,
We have a new twist to the mix.  they fostered a young female to the roof ledge yesterday afternoon.  So now I have 2 to watch for. I know the band numbers and the marking on the other girl but I will not guarantee that I will always know.  I will just look for 2 all the time. 

One was found on the ground in Red Deer and the rehabors  could not see the adults or other young around and did not feel comfortable leaving her in the area so she was brought here , since we have such a good male.  I cannot remember a year when this was not done but not  this late in the game.
the bilogists have assured me that the adults or the young one from here will not be adversely affected and the one from Red Deer will have a better chance of survival.
I knew I had it too easy.

And by  the way our young one did end up on the ground on Monday evening and was put back on the roof ledge by the biologist that I called. :) :) I was surprised to find her there as I knew she would have a long way up to fly but thought she made it somehow.  I now know how.

Cheers
Bev

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1058 on: August 14, 2008, 08:58 »
It is going to be nice for the nest 5 days so I am hoping Cassie gets in some great flying before bad weather hits again.  :) :)
I saw mom there also. I cannot make it there this morning but will be there from 3:30 to 8:00

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1057 on: August 14, 2008, 08:39 »
Mom was looking up (yay) and flew upwards from the box.  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1056 on: August 14, 2008, 08:11 »
9:10 am and mom (I think) just landed on the web cam.

Looks like mom has a bit of an itch, she's contorting herself to get waaaaaaay back - right in the middle of her back to scratch..hehe.  Head swivels around now..and balancing on one foot on the web cam cable...she's quite comical this morning..hehe  ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:16 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1055 on: August 14, 2008, 07:40 »
8:39 am EST, nice, sunny day there it looks like - all is quite so far at the nest box.