Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177500 times)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1114 on: August 24, 2008, 06:46 »
Thank you, thank you, Bev.  Such spectacular flying and spectacular shots too!  I agree that anyone near a nest should go out when the juveniles are fledging.  I went out in Winnipeg last year but my timing wasn't the best and I didn't manage to catch any scenes like these.  It is such a happy story that these two girls have each other.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1113 on: August 24, 2008, 00:20 »

enjoy!!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1112 on: August 24, 2008, 00:16 »
WELL, Man, Oh, Man.
  We were treated royally tonight.  The kids were in fine form.  One definitely flies better that the other but what  a command performance tonight.
all I can say to you all is that if you live any where near a falcon site, then next year you need to go and observe for a few weeks like I have,.It is just mind boggling what these marvelous birds can do. 8) 8)  We have so many  pictures tonight that I will not know what to show you.

We went down a bit later and one was already performing at moms building.  She wanted to get on the top roost. By the end of the evening she did it. :) :)

She just soared and flew around for at least 15 minutes.  She kept soaring around mom and dads building and then she would go over to the Heart building.

One of each juvenile first and then the flying :) :)

We decided to take a walk and we found the other juvenile way over on the other side not far from the education building. So they seem to perch on opposite ends
of the area.
This female , by the right end of the hospital,looked like she was just finished eating.
Then an adult flew overhead and the other female was in pursuit. So I am hoping she was getting her din din.

We just sat and watched for a bit and it was not long before a show developed.  the one that had chased the adult came back over by the other female and started to fly. Before long the female that was perched in to the side of the hospital decided to take part.
What came next was thrilling and nail biting at the same time.  they both just kept flying around and very close to the buildings.  there was a lot of precision flying going on , and playing tag and talon touching.  
Of course I am saying , not too close to the buildings girls, and be careful and wow!! A few people stared at me as if I were nuts  ;D ;D
the show just continues and they just kept  flying but WOW!!! Peter just kept snapping and I was just in awe. 
I am thinking , do not wear yourself out.  these are all the skills they need to hunt .

They just soared for enjoyment also.  I am just so hooked :) :)

After quite awhile one flew off to the education building and perched and the other flew out of site. 

We started to walk back to where we were parked and I saw dad go to the top corner of moms building.
By the way when they were playing an adult was in the mix for awhile and boy, did the pigeons scatter. ;D ;D

When we were walking back the youngster that was out of sight flew up to the top of moms building and finally managed the perch. she kept flying off and around the building , cacking and going back on the perch.  All of a sudden dad flew off and the young gal was in pursuit.  He flew around and she chased him . they were going so fast that no way we could dream of taking a picture.  They ended up going over the nest building and out of view.   I did not see her before I left so I am always a bit nervous leaving when I cannot see them both. the adult came back later but no girl.  I know they know what they are doing but it was so fast.
but I will remain positive.

I cannot go down tomorrow as we are going to pick our truck up in Calgary but I will go Monday .

We have not seen the gals chasing dad down for their food since the other night but they can be doing it when we are not there.  They need to let us know these things ;D

I will post a few pictures and then I will have to decide form about 200 what to post.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:29 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1111 on: August 23, 2008, 14:44 »
Thank you Bev!  Am so happy to hear both girls are doing so well with the flying! :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1110 on: August 22, 2008, 23:56 »
More. It does not really matter who they are as long as we have 2 but I think I can tell th apart if up close.

First 9 shots are of Hope I think

Ed building in back ground

The blob on roof (if you look carefully) is the juveniles head to head eating.  the lighting was bad and could not get a clear shot

juvenile on top

Hope , I think

Juvenile

JUvenile

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1109 on: August 22, 2008, 23:46 »

Juvenile (I think Cassie) around hospital buildings

Juvenile back on top of heart building(HOPE??)

HOPE??

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1108 on: August 22, 2008, 23:37 »
One juvenile(I think Hope)  flew of overhead in the direction of the hospital , which is down towards parkade. It then flew back again and then back over toeard prkade again.  The other juvenile then flew off in the same direction and then they both flew behind the Ed building.  After a bit one juvenile came back and flew down toward parkade.  The other one did not come back.
We started to walk back and we think it was the juvenile sitting on one of the antennas on moms building(but not moms antennae)

When we were leaving I looked back and saw a juvenile perched behind the Ed building so we turned around  ::) ::)and went into the back and got out.  I could see the juvenile clearly but the sun was in our eyes.  A few magpies were annoying it but I am sure it was fine.

A good night in all. I guess I cannot be upset anymore about some lost pictures as Peter is a good sport letting me do this :-* :-*

What a pair this is. they are not always together, but they do get along and they eat well together.  I kind of think they perch at oppostie ends on purpose.  So they will not miss an adult coming in with food.

Hoping to see more chasing after prey but I was glad to see them soar as God intended.

Pictures on next reply :) :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1107 on: August 22, 2008, 23:35 »
Well, AS PROMISED.

This morning I went up to the parkade to get a view and finally found 2 falcons way up and over on the Education building. One was on a back antennae and one on the lower roof.  So I went to investigate.
When I got there the one on the perch was gone(at least I could not see it) . An adult was high up on the front antennae.  I believe the juvenile was eating.  I heard it cacking. By coloring , I think it was Cassie but can't say for sure.  After tonight I think the one that was on the back antennae was Hope. 
A falcon flew overhead while I was standing there but with the trees I just saw it go over a roof.

I waited for quite awhile and the juvenile lay down and the adult left.

When I was leaving there was a falcon halfway down on dads antennae

I had pictures and my husband just erased them.  He thought they were old pictures .  He will take the shots of the buildings tomorrow so you can see where the falcons are now staying some of the time.

at least he did not erase tonights (OMG) he erased some of tonights also. I won't kill him now but I am annoyed. ??? ???

Anyhow. there was lots of good flying tonight by both juveniles.  They soared to the highest heavens.  I only had my small camera so shots are not good(those I have ;))
My cup runneth over watching them. To see how strong they have come  in one short week is just amazing to me. :) :)

- We started at the parkade and while there one juvenile came form the direction of the Ed building and landed on moms building.  It sat there for quite awhile and then flew off and started to soar. I cannot say for sure but by the coloring I think it was Cassie. she just got higher and higher.  You could tell a few air pockets caught her as she had to right herself but other than that she was a pro. She just kept going over toward the aprtment building and then behind it and then further to the right  an d higher until we could not see her. Of course being the mom I am I asked my husband if they know how high they can go. so he assured me she would be fine.( already I do not want to let them go :'( :'()  I had goosebumps watching her.

Up to then I had only seen one juvenile but the night was young.
We went for a coffee on our way  up to the Education building.
We walked and could not see anything . We walked behind and then took a shortcut through the building.  As we started to go back toward the parkade a juvenile flew overhead.  What a sight.  I believe this was Hope by the dark coloring.

She flew so beautifully and then was out of sight but went way sown the street.

As we were walking we decided to look in all the nooks and crannies of the hospital area and found a juvenile perched On a pillar. It was hard to see her coloring because of the shadows but she was round and so I believe it to be Cassie.   

As I said before I will get Petr to take pictures of the area so you can see what I am.
 talking about.

We then proceeded back toward the parkade and when I was climbing up I noticed a falcon on the Heart building across form nest site.
Upon further examination it was a juvenile.  We have 2 now. :) :) :-* :-*  We are not always seeing 2 adults but i am sure they are there.  I am just focused on the juveniles right now.

By the shape and coloring I think this was Hope. This is where she flew to. Oh for my good camera of my son-in-laws.  I am going to try and get it for tomorrow.

she then spread her wings and flew to moms building . after a bit she just soared around the building and then soared beyond the nest building and then back . she cacked a few times and then kept soaring.  What a sight it was to behold. 
She then soared out towards the Ed building and out of sight. 

I looked out that direction and saw a falcon on the rt back tower of the Ed building and I was sure it was her.
Then we saw another falcon fly over to the Ed building and up to the same tower and then flew over to the lower left tower of the Ed building(I think CAssie)

I think the juveniles were looking for supper so Peter and decided it was time to head that way again.  (We are getting lots of walking in ;D ;D)
When we got down and started to walk we could the 2 juveniles eating head to head.  We must have missed a drop on our way down out of the parkade :P

The juveniles were on the left side of the building and sharing nicely. The closer we got we could not see anything.  I need to get me a crane :) :)

When we reached the area we sat for a bit and waited . Eventually we could see one of the juveniles cat walk and then we saw the other one.

the rest is on next reply as I can only post so much on one :P

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1106 on: August 22, 2008, 21:35 »
Wonderful pics and reports, Bev! I love your descriptions of Cassie and Hope flying together. I'm so glad they have each other as they learn the intricacies of flying.

Looking forward to your next updates and pics.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1105 on: August 22, 2008, 16:40 »
I went down this morning and saw only one juvenile, maybe another (not sure) and an adult and maybe another adult.

I will write a report tonight as I am out to go again with hubby.
the we will download pictures. I am going to try and give you some shots of the area so you can see where they have moved to.

cheers
bev :) :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1104 on: August 22, 2008, 15:21 »
They were on the nestbox??!!   Hehe!  Of course no one is home now.  Great pictures BEv!!

Offline dodobird

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #1103 on: August 22, 2008, 14:15 »
Absolutely beautiful, Bev!!!! Thank you so much for showing us the girls flying. Wow, Amazing!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1102 on: August 22, 2008, 11:26 »
I was not able to make it yesterday  :( as I was babysitting my grandson. It was very cool yesterday or you know I would have taken him :) :)

I did see two juveniles at a hospital site in Edmonton when My husband had an appointment but did not have my camera.  did not see them fly but they were sitting side by side on the nest box.

Here are some pictures from Wednesday morning
Cassie on arm at power building

Cassie getting ready to fly

Adult on tower across the street from Cassie on Suite hotel

Hope on ledge on Moms building

Cassie

Cassie

cassie

Hope on corner of Heart building

Hope resting now on Heart building

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:29 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1101 on: August 21, 2008, 22:11 »
Great reports and pics, Bev! It is such a privilege to be able to see Cassie and Hope now that they are not visible on cam. Thanks to you, we have been able to know how they are doing. It's wonderful that they are flying together and playing talon tag in the air.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1100 on: August 21, 2008, 10:13 »
Wonderful photos and great updates.

Thanks so much.