Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2009 / Ivy & Jules  (Read 51590 times)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2009 / March
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2009, 19:07 »
Methinks it's that new building ...

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2009, 17:47 »
picture would be nice...or should I say great.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2009, 17:01 »
And we would like the picture please.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2009, 17:00 »
I get the picture.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2009, 15:45 »
Ooooh yes, do talk to Dennis TPC, the more stuff to 'SEE' the better!!!!  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2009, 13:04 »
For our non-Winnipeg viewers, Winnipeg isn't that big in actual fact.  From every nestsite used in this City, you can see the other sites without optical assistance in fact.  There is a building, not quite in the middle of the city that I might be able to get a 360 degree panoramic view of this year ... that might give folks a better sense of the size of the city and how big/not big the territories actually are ...

.. may have to talk to Dennis ....

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2009, 09:47 »
that is a wide territory isn't it, that theRAdisson pair has.
Hope this pair has some eggs soon

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2009, 08:56 »
0800 hrs - no one was around at the Diner or the Bleachers.  Hopefully they are at The B&B working on the next generation, its about that time (just).  It was also 2nd breakfast time to perhaps they were off getting take-out.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2009, 16:19 »
It's amazing actually..last year, I saw a peregrine flying toward the "Kildonan" area.  I was on the bridge going downtown and he/she was going the other way, perhaps dinner  :D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2009, 16:16 »

The more falcon spotters, the better...more volunteers with towels, sweatshirts or jackets when "fledge watch" is on, the better!

OOOPS! 
For a second I had a vision of the volunteers wearing jackets and sweatshirts with Fledge Watch written on them.  Then I reread the comment and understood.  Might be a cool idea, though probably not in the neighbour hood where the nest is a secret!

No where near the west, I'm talking downtown. And you could sport almost any type of clothing and nobody would bat an eye.
The west is safe from publicity. Up to Tracy to spill the beans on that location :-X :-X
No no..the open invitation, so to speak, fledge watch was for our downtown pair.  I respect the fact the WW's location is secret. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2009, 15:55 »
Yes we have, but they seem to be in the Radisson territory boundaries ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2009, 15:48 »
Just off topic for a second. have you ever considered those high rises along the river by the Henderson highway.
certainly the height and the prey. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2009, 14:01 »
Sorry, little busy yesterday, couldn't get online at all, so I'll try to answer questions that have come up recently ....

First is, if you have or think you have figured out where the West Winnipeg birds are, keep it to yourself - that includes on posts, private messages and emails.  The last I know I have no control over, but my not naming the location has nothing whatsoever with making this a contest or a game.  I chose names that were descriptive of the structures' purpose for the peregrines so that it would help you all to develop a mental image of this pair's life and activities.  You are all so familiar with Trey & Princess' life that with photos and reports, I hope to be able to keep you all up to date on the pair's activities even though I can't bring them to you via webcam or take you all for a guided tour.  It is a question of the birds' security and the privacy of the occupants of all the buildings/structures involved.  I'm not saying all this to be mean to those of you who haven't or won't get the opportunity to see the WW birds, I wish I could share everything as we have done at the Radisson but every location has its own set of circumstances and until/if the situation changes, this is the way we are handling the WW peregrines.  Keep in mind that I could have been even less accommodating about where this pair, and I am very good at keeping some things off the radar until/unless necessary and only then if it is in the best interest of the birds.

Now having read the riot act, I will let you know that I will see what I can do about making the site more public but that part isn't my decision.  Depending on what we can do, we may be able to bring you some video of the birds nesting etc on a regular basis but we are working on that and it is by no means a certainty.  Heck we don't even know if/where they are going to nest yet so we are getting ahead of ourselves here.

did they install a nest box for the newlyweds?
There is a nestbox on the best structure in the area (The B&B) and they have made a scrape in it which is promising, but no guarantee as we have seen at the Radisson over the last 2 years!  They have been hanging out alot on The Bleachers and The Diner but neither of those locations are optimal for nesting so we don't have boxes there.  Depending on them this year, that may change however ... we will just have to see ...

ok, I asked tpc about fledge watch and what I should do if... She's pretty busy right now, but your reference to towels, jackets etc. seem like a good idea. I'm there early 5:30 to 6:oo am, so any tips you could give me would be great.

We don't even have eggs yet so I don't tempt fate talking about fledging which won't happen until the end of July or early August ... but when we get to banding (~ 3 weeks after hatching - so if they laid today, 7-8 weeks from now) we can really get rolling on plans ... and yes, they can include "gear"  ;)

I also wanted to ask her how man nestbox's we have in the city...
We had more, only a couple now as we are in the process of replacing them at the moment.  Costs money and the buildings in a territory change (new buildings, additions, etc) so when our boxes got "old" they were removed and we are updating them.  Box locations aren't random, they need to have certain conditions and support the core (nest area) of the pair's territory - we don't want nests that are too far away to be considered by a pair but which might attract an additional pair in which case we are encouraging the potential for territorial disputes.  I have one more territory in the City I'm working on this year.  It hasn't been visited in 10 years, but as more of our young birds are returning maybe we can get a bit ahead of the next return.  More on that as we go along ...

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2009, 13:36 »

The more falcon spotters, the better...more volunteers with towels, sweatshirts or jackets when "fledge watch" is on, the better!

OOOPS! 
For a second I had a vision of the volunteers wearing jackets and sweatshirts with Fledge Watch written on them.  Then I reread the comment and understood.  Might be a cool idea, though probably not in the neighbour hood where the nest is a secret!

No where near the west, I'm talking downtown. And you could sport almost any type of clothing and nobody would bat an eye.
The west is safe from publicity. Up to Tracy to spill the beans on that location :-X :-X

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2009, 13:23 »
Wonderful photos as usual Dennis.  They are so clear and show so much detail.  Thanks.  I think I have figured out were the West Pair are.  I need to make time to go there find a place to park and watch.  Hopefully I will finally see a Peregrine in real life.