Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 58383 times)

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / July
« Reply #260 on: July 05, 2012, 22:07 »
 :'(

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #259 on: July 05, 2012, 21:00 »
Went for a drive....
No birdie at the Diner...
No birdie at the Bleachers...

Found the birdies at the Tower...they were occasionally calling out, maybe still looking for some other little birdies...

This is Jules
Beau and Jules
Beau and Jules
Jules and Beau
This is Beau

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #258 on: July 05, 2012, 20:38 »
Thank you for all the information about the Winnipeg West chicks. That's quite the process getting all the ducks in a row (or should I say Quails in a row? ) and you present in such a manner that it's easy to follow and understand.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #257 on: July 05, 2012, 15:10 »
Saw Jules today, looking possibly perplexed?  She was just sitting there, I guess wondering where the kids went to!  Maybe she will learn to choose a better spot next year!

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #256 on: July 05, 2012, 10:28 »
Quote from: newchick link=topic=3275.msg88585#msg88585 d!ate=1341448123
Interesting saga, Tracey.  I'm not certain could you not try and get Jules and Beau to imprint on the hack site where the chicks have been re-located to.  I'm not familiar if it is possible, but, if it is would in not be worth a try?

'Fraid not Newchick, the time span for imprinting is only a few weeks when they are chicks.  Beau and Jules are wild birds despite their origins, they migrate to Central/South America each year and come back to nest where they want (as we know!!), we have no control over what they do though we do/will try to reduce her nestsite options by one next year.

Oh, ok, was worth an interesting thought though

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #255 on: July 05, 2012, 06:31 »
Thanks for the update Tracy.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #254 on: July 04, 2012, 22:56 »
Wow! Lots to mull over here. Thanks for all the updates, TPC. :-* You sure have been busy and I know that you did what was best for the chicks. Hopefully, next year, Beau & Jules will nest in a much safer place, with easier access for banding, etc.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #253 on: July 04, 2012, 21:03 »
Interesting saga, Tracey.  I'm not certain could you not try and get Jules and Beau to imprint on the hack site where the chicks have been re-located to.  I'm not familiar if it is possible, but, if it is would in not be worth a try?

'Fraid not Newchick, the time span for imprinting is only a few weeks when they are chicks.  Beau and Jules are wild birds despite their origins, they migrate to Central/South America each year and come back to nest where they want (as we know!!), we have no control over what they do though we do/will try to reduce her nestsite options by one next year.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #252 on: July 04, 2012, 19:28 »

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #251 on: July 04, 2012, 15:27 »
Thanks for the update & info, Tracy.

Offline RaptorGal

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #250 on: July 04, 2012, 15:17 »
 :) Bless you and your co-workers on this difficult project.  Wishing good things for all peregrine falcons. Thanks for taking time to explain things to us.  :)

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #249 on: July 04, 2012, 15:05 »
Thank you for all the detailed information Tracy.  It's greatly appreciated.  Tough times but hopefully things will turn out well.  :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #248 on: July 04, 2012, 14:57 »
I'll answer in segments as it seems easiest ...

New Home:  Chicks are safe and will be hacked from outside of Winnipeg.  There is a hacksite attendent who will be watching over and feeding the chicks until they teach themselves to hunt sometime in the next 5-6 weeks.  And no, I'm not the attendent, there was one already in place for this site which is what made it a viable option for the WW chicks.  And we are keeping the chicks together so it will still be them against the world which is a good thing.

Banding & Transmitters:  Chicks haven't been banded yet, but they will be.  We will be banding them when they get their transmitters.  We have an opportunity to safely fit them with transmitters so we will only disturb them once and do both at the same time.  Sometime after that when we are sure they have imprinted on the location, we will open up the hack box (a hack box looks a bit like a birdie jail with all the amenities) and the birds will be able to fledge but will know to return for food.  After they fledge, they will do all the usual peregrine things including starting to hunt as their hardwiring to chase and catch kicks in, just like the Radisson bird do and Brandon birds will when they chase their parents.

Food:  Yes it is quail that is fed to the peregrines as it is more wild than chicken which makes a difference to peregrines that hunt.  We tried to source the quail locally but it was all spoken for for the captive-bred chicks being released this year.  And in fact we had to be sure we had food on the way before we could scoop the WW chicks yesterday.  The chicks basically eat one quail a day, so 3 chicks x 6 weeks (42 days) plus a few more to cover our bases and replace 5 days worth "borrowed" from Lisa at Prairie Wildlife Rehab and we are ordering 200 frozen quail to be flown in by the end of the week.  The quail are a reasonable price but the shipping is a bit expensive - so about $5 per quail all told.

Jules & Beau:  Interestingly, only Jules came to protest when I was retrieving her chicks and not until I was scooping up the last chick.  Beau never left the Diner.  Afterwards Jules had a close inspection of the nestsite and of course couldn't find any chicks then she and Beau had a flight together north of the nestsite before she when back to the Diner, then back to the nestsite.  The chicks are within days of fledging and about the same age as Polo when he fledged and died last year, so the adults are shifting to a new phase in their relationship with the chicks - the chicks chase them for food and they protect them when they get into trouble.  This is very different from have chicks confined to a nestsite and wholly dependent on their parents.  Beau & Jules reacted well to the loss of Polo last year and I'm thinking they will do the same again this year since by the time we could get to the chicks, they were most the way to being fully independent.

Plans for Next Year:  Same as this year, try to prevent Jules from nesting here again and encourage her to nest elsewhere.  We've made headway on the excluding her next year and made even more headway on providing Beau and Jules with alternates that they will like - particularly Beau who seems to prefer nestboxes.  Last year's and this year's events have contributed greatly to making headway, so that's a bonus.

Names:  Yes, these chicks will be getting names.  Will let everyone know when they are named.

Offline jollykins

• Past Member
  • Egg
« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2012, 14:18 »
Hello everyone.  I am a new member to the forum, but have been reading here for two years now.  I just couldn't resist commenting on how supportive everyone has been for the safety and well being not only for the peregrines, but to each other.  Crazy as we all may be for the peregrines, you are all a wonderful group of people!

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #246 on: July 04, 2012, 14:14 »
Are you the one that has to feed these chicks (don't need that added to your work load) or will someone from Conservation be responsible because these chicks have to be fed until the food that is put in the box does not get eaten.  Which means they are hunting for themselves and are independant when they don't return to the box for food.It seems you said this can take quite a while. Is the food Quail and I understand that it is fed in such a way that the chicks never see a human. When the first chicks were hacked at Mckenzies the staff at that time said it was put in down a shoot (don't know if thats how it was done) but you would maybe know. You said you have to get the food from Ontario.  I'm assuming that they were banded and that Conservation put transmitters on them before they went into the Hack Box. Wish them all the luck for a safe Fledge and may they return in some future year to raise their own chicks..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 14:16 by Rose »