Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2011 / Zeus & Alice  (Read 16440 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Tower Nest - 2011 / Zeus & Alice
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 01:36 »
It is very likely that that was the case RCF - and I very much remember thinking that the male we saw in the spring of 2010 was Zeus.  Nice to know that he was driven off rather than meeting a more tragic end that's for sure.  And interestingly, he has a habit of sabbaticals - 2010 would be his third I believe - should have called him "Houdini" he disappears and reappears so much!  

Zeus was hatched in Brandon in 1995, but didn't nest until 2002, could be he was off nesting somewhere else and took over in Brandon when his father Mufasa didn't return.  So far as we know, Alice (Grand Forks) is Zeus' fourth mate after Ita (Regina), Holly (Fargo) and Hurricane (Radisson), and other than perhaps Ita, he taught his ladies what to do and did a good job of it, so if he wants to take a year off now and then, more power to him.  He is as of this year, our oldest breeding peregrine - not our oldest however, we did have a male that fledged from Winnipeg in 1986, spent his life doing something somewhere and then died in 2004 (18 years of age) only a couple/few kilometres from where he was released.

As for this year, we think he was here in Winnipeg with Alice, I remember thinking her boyfriend looked like one of the "old" birds (Phoebe, T-Rex, Trey, Cowboy).  Could be why he didn't take a stab at the McKenzie Seeds site - he didn't get to Brandon until the end of May/beginning of June, by that point the Brandon chicks were hatching and both Hurricane & Brooklyn were definitely hopped up on hormones.  Also, Alice started nesting not long after, so Zeus and Alice didn't waste any time once they arrived - they just found a spot (not ideal as it turned out but not too too bad) and set about what he does best and what she could be very good at - she's a smart bird from what I've seen over the last couple of years and I suspect (knock on wood) that we will see more of her - not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 20:49 »
Great news!  The possibility of another nest in Brandon is very exciting!  Would Zeus have tried to get together with Hurricane and then was chased off by Brooklyn, TPC?  Or is there any way to know that at this point?  It's good to know he's still around in any case!

In 2010  I saw what was possibly a peregrine chasing another peregrine, not really sure if it was friendly or not. They were moving very fast and turning upside down and grabbing talons and kakking loudly as they flew by.  Rose and I were pretty sure Zeus was here before Brooklyn got here.  TPC was out here one day and she also thought it looked like Zeus.
from TPC -  I should note that the male that was around when I was in Brandon, looked & behaved very much like Zeus and Dan in Brandon witnessed a bit of a dust-up on April 30th.

So I think Brooklyn did chase off Zeus in 2010, plus we didn't see anything like that this year.  We only saw Brooklyn and Hurricane this year..........not even a visitor passing through.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 21:22 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 19:24 »
Great news!  The possibility of another nest in Brandon is very exciting!  Would Zeus have tried to get together with Hurricane and then was chased off by Brooklyn, TPC?  Or is there any way to know that at this point?  It's good to know he's still around in any case!

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 19:20 »
Wow - what an amazing update. This all sounds like a plot for a steamy drama.

Thank you Dennis for sending the pictures that motivated me to go looking for the story to go along with them.

Sounds like Zeus still has it goin' on!  8)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 19:16 »
Can be seen at this link...first 2 photos.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/brandon_2011

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 16:59 »
This is wonderful news!  :D  Thank you so much for the update TPC.  RCF and Rose are going to be busier next year?  Or will the location be kept under wraps like the WW pair?

:-*

When we actually have a safe location for the nestbox there shouldn't be any reason not to make the location public ... and yes, it could mean RCF and Rose are busier next year - or at least we can hope that that is the case :), don't want to count our birds before they return to nest ...

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 12:47 »
This is wonderful news!  :D  Thank you so much for the update TPC.  RCF and Rose are going to be busier next year?  Or will the location be kept under wraps like the WW pair?

:-*

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 11:12 »
This is such great news! Thanks for sharing the whole saga of Alice's summer.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 10:29 »
A nice story with good news and sad news.  Nice to know Zues is alive and well.  Nice to know Zues and Alice had a couple of chicks.  Sad tho that the chicks didn't make it.  Hopefully next year will be a better one.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 20:20 »
Well, well, hearing about Alice and Zeus in Brandon is absolutely extraordinary news! ;D

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 19:55 »
We followed through on our trip and Dennis was able to get some more photos of both the adults.  From those photos we were able to identify Alice's "boyfriend". And once again we have proof that Manitoba peregrines just get better with age - at 16 years old (and our oldest male peregrine), Alice's mate this year is none other than Zeus, the resident McKenzie Seeds male prior to Brooklyn!

Plans are in the works to install a nestbox in a more accessible location not far from exposed site Alice & Zeus chose this year.  It's outside the range of the McKenzie Seeds site so we have real hopes for a new nestsite here.  

It would be wonderful to have a second pair in the Brandon area, so keep your fingers crossed folks!

Wonderful news, the possibly of 5 nesting pairs in Manitoba. What could be better.  ;D

Tracy, will you or Dennis post some pictures so we can see them too?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 17:23 »
Here's an end-of-season update on Alice ...

Alice followed her boyfriend out west in the first half of June which coincided with the late arrival/movement of waterbirds into the province (Kate & Cowboy started disappearing at the same time).  We didn't know where they had ended up until someone spotted chicks on the catwalk of a tower in Brandon. Shortly after that, one chick disappeared from the nest, leaving just one.  Finally employees at the site were able to take some photos and we were able to confirm they were indeed peregrines - but better than that, one photo showed that it was our lost Alice! 

We made plans to visit the site a couple of days later but right before we were to arrive, there was a report that the second chick had died, which was unexpected as the chick was obviously older than banding age in the photos from the previous week.  We suspect that this chick was probably the victim of a predator - most likely a Great Horned Owl or maybe even a Red-tailed Hawk (not generally a predator) as they have been known to nest in the area.  The site they chose is very well protected, only something avian could get to them.  Though the losses are sad, this is Alice's first nesting season and managed to get a chick close to fledging age and the what she has learned/experienced this year will make it just that much easier for her next year.  Still would have been nice for her to have a successful nest first time out.

We followed through on our trip and Dennis was able to get some more photos of both the adults.  From those photos we were able to identify Alice's "boyfriend".  And once again we have proof that Manitoba peregrines just get better with age - at 16 years old (and our oldest male peregrine), Alice's mate this year is none other than Zeus, the resident McKenzie Seeds male prior to Brooklyn!  Zeus looked good, much much smaller than Alice who is large compared with all our other resident birds.  Alice is still sporting a lot of juvenile plumage for a two year old bird, but Jules did too so likely next year she will be less brown/more grey.

Plans are in the works to install a nestbox in a more accessible location not far from exposed site Alice & Zeus chose this year.  It's outside the range of the McKenzie Seeds site so we have real hopes for a new nestsite here.  Not much concrete information to share at the moment, too new a site and there is alot of work to do before next spring to get the site, box and safeguards (including cameras) installed before (hopefully) the birds (Alice & Zeus or another pair) return next spring.   

It would be wonderful to have a second pair in the Brandon area, so keep your fingers crossed folks!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 21:01 »
I didn't see any thing last week on 3 trip's past  :(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 10:29 »
TPC have you seen any sign of her?? I haven't seen her at all... 2 weeks ago i think was the last time I saw her very briefly....   

Not in the last week, but I haven't been back to her old stomping grounds either, will have to take the long way home tonight ....  ;)

Offline BigBird

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 16:33 »
TPC have you seen any sign of her?? I haven't seen her at all... 2 weeks ago i think was the last time I saw her very briefly....