Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / Brooklyn & Hurricane  (Read 129762 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
McKenzie Seeds - 2010 / July
« Reply #497 on: July 11, 2010, 18:12 »
Excellent shots rcf!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #496 on: July 11, 2010, 18:05 »
Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #495 on: July 11, 2010, 17:47 »
Here's a photo of the hack box or part of it, sitting on the roof. Thanks to TPC for clarifying its location.  :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #494 on: July 11, 2010, 17:37 »
Hurricane where she dropped prey and trying to retrieve it.  ::)

Sitting at end of perch

Look!! I,m almost too big for this box.  ;D

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #493 on: July 11, 2010, 14:43 »
Rcf came in and we went to parkade (minus umbrella and beer).Hurricane was on tower post ,the chicks and Brooklyn were no where to be seen. Drove down to parking lot west of the bus terminal,it's in the shade and view of nest box and tower is much closer.Still no chicks but after we had been there about 10mins and staring up at Hurricane,she decided to check us out,she came down off the tower yelling made 2 passes (not close) then back to the tower still yelling,turned her back and stopped yelling. That woke the chicks. The male chick got up on the perch and made his way to the end using his wings for balance and stood there doing a few wing exercises, the female stood on the edge of the nest box and did some really fine wingercises,she still has quite a bit of fluff and looks bigger than the male.Then Hurricane decided to feed them,she went off and came back with prey,landed on south light with it, when she flew off the light to come down to the nest she dropped it and it fell in the gutter of the  building,she tried to retrieve it but I guess it was stuck so she flew back to her corner in digust.Brooklyn showed up and made a half hearted attempt at some pigeons no luck so he flew up to the tower, the chicks made a lot of noise(like dad we're hungry and starving)but you can tell they are very well fed.WE left and drove over 8th st. bridge and could see the top of the old hack box , I've been down and around the building many ,many times and have never seen it so much for being observent ::) Rcf has some pictures she'll post when she gets home :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 18:45 by Rose »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #492 on: July 11, 2010, 10:24 »
Sounds like our little male is going to fledge sooner than we think. :o  ;D

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #491 on: July 11, 2010, 09:55 »
Just home from parkade,Hurricane on northeast roof edge,Brooklyn on east light and the two chicks sitting on nest ledge. The male has very little fluff (maybe none) and the female still looks moth eaten. While I was there the male went over to the perch bar and jumped on it and walked part way to the end,then just stayed there looking out at the world. Seems like he is a real beauty all brown and gold,he sure shone in the sun.No flapping just stretching his wings occasionally.I could have stayed a lot longer (with umbrella and lawn chair) but my hubby is an old car fanatic and there is a car show today so we had to come home. :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #490 on: July 09, 2010, 21:36 »
If you go to the top of the 8th Street Bridge just north of the McKenzie building , you can see the hack box or remains of it sitting on the lower roof.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #489 on: July 09, 2010, 20:50 »
Thanks for clarifying that TPC.  ;) Then I must have misunderstood Rose. ::) :-[ But I still learned some stuff about hack boxes, that I didn't know before. :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #488 on: July 09, 2010, 20:38 »
Actually, the thingy on the wall to the right of the nestbox (looking from the parkade) is a window where we have set up a camera to watch the birds remotely in the past.  The remains of the old hackbox sits on the roof below the nestbox along the north wall.

Sorry Kinderchick  :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #487 on: July 09, 2010, 20:09 »
Made it as far as Moose Jaw this evening, but had a great visit with rcf and Rose in Brandon on our way out west. Thanks Eye-Spy!  :-* ;) We met them on the roof of the parkade, just before noon and spent about 45 mins. chatting and watching the birds with our binocs. Brooklyn and Hurricane put on a wee ariel show for us, which was wonderful! :D The chicks were tucked in, out of sight, with the hot summer sun beating down. Before long, however, they made an appearance, which was very exciting! ;D It was great to see rcf and Rose and I learned a few new things about the Brandon site. Rose pointed out the hack box that is on the wall not far away from the nestbox, but is no longer in use. Then she explained about hack boxes to me, which I had not fully understood, as of yet. Thanks Rose! :-* And of course, we got to see rcf's amazing camera and she explained a few of it's awesome features to us. 8) All in all, a great beginning to our vacation west! :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #486 on: July 09, 2010, 16:45 »
TPC, Any word on names for our chicks yet?  If they can't decide on names, I have a couple of suggestions. 

How about "Mac" for the male and "Kenzie" for the female.  ;D ;D :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #485 on: July 09, 2010, 16:15 »
Great to see Kinderchick again and meet her hubby, we had a good visit.  :)  While they were here Brooklyn and Hurricane soared above the mts tower for awhile, which is always cool to watch.  When it was time to go we wished Kinderchick and her hubby a safe journey west.  
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 16:47 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #484 on: July 09, 2010, 14:53 »
Met kinderchick and her husband on the parkade about 11:45, Hurricane and Brooklyn were on the tower but the chicks didn't show themselves for quite a while not till food was delivered and then they were busy filling their crops but we could see them towards the back of the nest and every once in a while one would do a wing stretch so you could  see the wing span is getting bigger.Had a very nice visit and then they were on the way to points west, they plan to stop in Kelowna and visit BCBird. Kinderchick has her computer and plans to keep in touch with the Forum.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 16:16 by Rose »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2010, 23:02 »
Love the pic rcf!  Momma on guard!   ;D