Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2010 / Beau & Jules  (Read 95350 times)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
West Winnipeg - 2010 / July
« Reply #776 on: July 30, 2010, 10:40 »
On the question of food groups and favorites, I saw what was left of the bottom end of something with webbed feet on the Radisson today.  That's a first for me.  I'm going to assume duck, as too small for goose.  Maybe Princess is following Tracy to the marsh (swamp) and is a little jelous of her other "friends".

:) 

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #775 on: July 30, 2010, 09:42 »
Little rainy this morning and therefore rather quiet In west Winnipeg. However, about 7:30 the fun began. All chicks were sitting on the ledge, looking rather drenched. Then it started to clear and Jules deciided to dive bomb someone on a neighbouring roof. The kids heard her and started yelling for food. Finally Beau shows up with breakfast and the feeding is on. Yelling, flapping and feathers flying everywhere. Beau lands farther along the ledge and sure enough, the brat appears from the other side of the building, circles around and tries to land on dad's head. Quick exit by Beau, the brat lands and calls for food, which neither parent gives it.
I left about 9, all are accounted for and doing fine.

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #774 on: July 29, 2010, 19:06 »
On the question of food groups and favorites, I saw what was left of the bottom end of something with webbed feet on the Radisson today.  That's a first for me.  I'm going to assume duck, as too small for goose.  Maybe Princess is following Tracy to the marsh (swamp) and is a little jelous of her other "friends".

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #773 on: July 29, 2010, 15:04 »
gem:  This year during our banding ceremony, a little American Kestral started attacking our mom here !  It was hilarious and fortunately mom was more distracted by the banders and just regarded the kestral as a fly...there is video of it under the Etobicoke topic from back in June when we did the banding. 
Thanks carly, I will go to the Etobicoke site to see this. Brave little souls, aren't they? LOL

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #772 on: July 29, 2010, 12:36 »
gem:  This year during our banding ceremony, a little American Kestral started attacking our mom here !  It was hilarious and fortunately mom was more distracted by the banders and just regarded the kestral as a fly...there is video of it under the Etobicoke topic from back in June when we did the banding. 

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #771 on: July 29, 2010, 11:24 »
All  this talk about crows reminds me of a funny thing I saw a couple of autumns ago. Just behind Churchill high I saw a little raptor, probably an American Kestrel, trying to attack five or six crows which were possibly twice as big as it. It was having absolutely no success, and the crows were not even all that annoyed. They just moved out of the way and moved to a new spot on the ground or an old tree. Strange things in nature.
Hello Ian. Not knowing what an American Kestral is, I did a google search and came up with a You Tube video called American Kestral Release. If anyone cares to watch........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J84lWCgHa48 Very fascinating, A mini peregrine. When the person put his/her hand in the box, the Kestral hopped on his hand like a parakeet. Took awhile for it to fly off. Acted more like a pet than a raptor. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. Brave little soul going up against the crows.  GCG

ian

« Reply #770 on: July 29, 2010, 11:02 »
All  this talk about crows reminds me of a funny thing I saw a couple of autumns ago. Just behind Churchill high I saw a little raptor, probably an American Kestrel, trying to attack five or six crows which were possibly twice as big as it. It was having absolutely no success, and the crows were not even all that annoyed. They just moved out of the way and moved to a new spot on the ground or an old tree. Strange things in nature.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #769 on: July 29, 2010, 09:47 »
Thanks Bccs for your report.

Yup, there is always one youngster that likes to knock parents form stoop.  ;D ;D Ours are all red bands. ;) ;)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #768 on: July 29, 2010, 08:41 »
Spent a lovely couple of hours at West Winnipeg this morning.
All 5 present and accounted for. Not much flying, but lots of yacking. ::)
One kiddie, whom I've nicknamed "The Brat " continues to harass Beau by flying around him and then either trying to land on Beau or knock him off his perch. It's very effective, and Beau ends up moving either way. The brat keeps yelling and flying until Beau is out of sight.
One of the kids was pancaked on the edge of the ledge, one wing hanging over the ledge.
Talk about nonchalant ;D ;D
Very calm day, nice blue sky, what a great way to start the day.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #767 on: July 29, 2010, 06:54 »
Well Moonstar...you got the "Bird Bug"...congrats  ;)

Yes I definitely do have the "Bird Bug".   :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #766 on: July 28, 2010, 22:53 »
I think that should be phrased as, "you have been assimilated"!!!   ;D

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #765 on: July 28, 2010, 22:47 »

One by one we all get hooked

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #764 on: July 28, 2010, 22:40 »

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #763 on: July 28, 2010, 22:37 »
I was out tonight and dropped in to see the WW birds tonight.  Sat there for about an hour. Saw all 3 little ones and one parent.  They were very vocal and seemed to take turns in a little flying.  They were doing pretty good with the wind.  To me it looked like they had to work a bit harder going back to the roof top.  My heart stops everytime one of them takes flight.  Saw one parent there who was sitting down on the ledge below the roof.  The parent was out of site of the little ones because when they saw him/her they would really start to squawking.  I think there might have been a feeding while I was there.  A parent flew in barely stayed on the roof and all three left the edge facing the parking lot, there was a lot of squawking and were gone for a little while.  Parent then perched on the corner ledge below the nest.
I just can't believe how addicting it is to watch them. 

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #762 on: July 28, 2010, 21:44 »
Do the young peregrines/ fledglings ever fly at night or much into the dusk?  It seemed that in the morning the Radisson chicks would fledge and or take off often at first light.  Oops I just remembered one of them took off in the evening.  Was it still light?  I'll look back.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 21:48 by des »