Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18  (Read 81763 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Alberta / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2014 / D01 & Miss Edmonton
« Reply #408 on: September 19, 2014, 23:19 »
it has been a strange year this year. Miss Edmonton and Do1 had 5 young. I noticed one was not getting enough, not because there was not enough food,  but because the ones in front were just too big. So I phoned Gord and he went up and got it.

then we had 4. One kept leaving the box for the roof top and could not get back. Gord went up twice and put it back( because we were having we were having  severe storms at the time .) The last time he went up he could not find it. We are nto sure what happened, but he built baby gates on the sides to keep the others in.
 At banding  he took one male and hacked it at pembina, and it was doing well.
 We were left with 2 females.
 When they were old enough to start wandering the roof top , one slipped into stairwell. Gord found her and put her back on roof.( she was in there no more than 1.5 days). I had noticed that only one was coming back to box at night, thus Gord looked.  The other female had just started flying. unfortunately, the one gord put back must have slipped off roof, came day, he put her back , onto a low roof at back of building.

We did not  let anyone know where she was ,( except Barb) as we had to keep her safe. We were in contact with Gord.

we were still  doing watch at U of A but barb watched at Weber and we would go down also.

It was very hot at the time and she became dehydrated. She did eventually make her way up to roof on parkade ( 2 days) . she had been in a place where we could not rescue( long story). when we left her on the Friday night, we were hoping she could get to ledge on Weber building as parkade roof is right below box area.

Peter went there bright and early, before 6am ,on the next morning,( saturday)  and could not find here. Then there she was , on ground  , facing busy street. He forced her back toward building and rescued her. Poor girl was thin and dry. We kept her overnight and Gord took her home the next day.
 Being as it was a long weekend and he could not get access to roof, and he had to put an IV in her etc, it was decided to take her to Pembina , when she recovered. After she was well , she did very well.

We were sad to just have K12 but she did very well.  We would have loved to have a sibling there also. She was a pleasure to watch but me, being who I am, felt for Miss Edmonton and D01 and K12.
K12 stooped pigeons and flew like a pro. I fall in love with them all  ;D

now some do not agree with hacking , but I have to tell you, Edmonton is becoming an Urban trap. We have to think what is best for the falcons.

K12 was last seen by Peter and I  on Sept 1 but  she could have been there longer. I could not get down there for a few days. I am confident she has the skills to do well

So Miss Edmonton is still at wEber. I have not seen D01 for 2 days , so he may have left. We will check again tomorrow. Barb has been faithful to this site as well and has been a great help. thank you Barb.

I am posting a few videos I made and a few shots of the  girl we rescued.

here are a few pictures of K13, who Peter rescued and one of the 2 girls in box .

this was on july26 when both girls were in thebox. happy times

If you click on any of these pictures, not video, you will see a lot of pictures I got at our sites this year, you can left or right.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 23:37 by bev. »

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #407 on: July 24, 2014, 14:13 »
Update from Weber Centre Peregrine Camera Webpage:

Update: July 23, 2014 - If you can't see the chicks, it may be because they are wandering the rooftop.

Update: July 17, 2014 - Once there were 5. One chick was removed from the nest because it was not getting enough to eat, a second chick was taken to another site and sadly a third one went missing (likely fledged too soon). The good news is that the two that were removed are going to be released  along the Pembina River in about a week. The two that are in the box could fledge in approximately 5 days!!

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #406 on: July 04, 2014, 05:34 »
Any news on the smallest chick bev.?

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2014, 19:06 »
Glad to hear that Gord came and took the fifth chick out.  It will now have a good chance at survival.   

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2014, 12:34 »
Yes, thanks for the information.  Interesting turn of events here. 

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2014, 10:12 »
Moonstar. Bev noticed on the weekend that it was getting very little to none of the food. That is when she makes the call to Gord about the nest. But, I don't think there is business on the weekend at the building and had to wait tell today.  From what I heard about Gord, is that he is part peregrine falcon in a past life. He would not let one die if it possible.

Thanks soaring west for the update.  Sounds like all will be okay.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2014, 08:19 »
Thank you for the update on the smallest chick bev.! Glad to hear that he/she has a promising outlook.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #401 on: June 23, 2014, 23:46 »
it was a stressful weekend watching all feeds. Miss E and D01 are two  o f the best falcons you can get, It was not  a problem of enough food. there was plenty of that.
 But I noticed, after so much rain, that there were a lot of feeds, but most items smaller. this means , that with five chicks , the bigger ones were not getting full enough to fall over. so next feed they still needed more. so little ones were not getting very much.
then watching on Sat, the littlest one got none or maybe one bite. because it was not getting bigger ,because of less feeds, it was not able to get in there. and believe you me, it tried  . but bigger siblings were just too tall and would snatch what would be his bite. And then when they were full youngster would get tangled up with them and not be able to get in.

After much thought, because Miss E and D01 had five chicks last year, I phoned Gord. He had been watching also. As we were talking , there was a lot of food to be fed and finally little one got enough to sustain it overnight. So Gord , was in place to retrieve chick this morning,

I watched 2 very early morning feeds and it got none. others were just getting so much bigger.

Gord retrieved chick after doing quick weigh check by hand. it was so quick, you could blink. Gord let me hear chick on phone, and it was loud . He figures it will be fine and will be fed by an adult female. thank you Gord

Others are doing well and food is abundant.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #400 on: June 23, 2014, 16:50 »
Moonstar. Bev noticed on the weekend that it was getting very little to none of the food. That is when she makes the call to Gord about the nest. But, I don't think there is business on the weekend at the building and had to wait tell today.  From what I heard about Gord, is that he is part peregrine falcon in a past life. He would not let one die if it possible.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 16:52 by soaring west »

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #399 on: June 23, 2014, 14:29 »
Just a few minutes ago, the smallest chick was taken out by Gord.

I hope everything is okay with it.  Waiting patiently to hear from you if all is well.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #398 on: June 23, 2014, 11:50 »
Just a few minutes ago, the smallest chick was taken out by Gord.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #397 on: June 20, 2014, 21:15 »
Miss E hatched all 5 out between 5:45am JUne16- 10:15pm JUne18

incredible

but it is to many for this site. they can feed them . watch miss E feed. She is a pro.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #396 on: June 20, 2014, 13:28 »
miss E and D01 are doing great job.
man, did not want 5 but she hatched out 5 last year also.

they are like clockwork.

will post more this weekend . 4 sites is work for me to monitor with private life also LOL
yup I do have one

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #395 on: June 20, 2014, 13:24 »
Well, the camera was down earlier, but is up and running. The babes are all tucked under Miss Edmonton. It will be a busy season here in Edmonton with all the kids to keep track of , when they fledge. Poor Bev and Peter

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #394 on: June 19, 2014, 21:25 »
Wow!  Five!! :o

This will be interesting.  Lots of work for these parents!