Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18

<< < (22/127) > >>

Kinderchick:
Thanks for the updates, Elaine & Jazzerkins. :)

Jazzerkins:
I read on the web site that the two taken away will not be returned to the nest.

RCF:
Thanks for ground report Elaine.  :)

Elaine L:
Also:  The biologist plans to dust the two little chicks for the mite infestation, and then he will go back to the nest box next Thursday to band the remaining two chicks and dust them also if the mites are still a problem.  If we notice that they are not being fed regularly during the next few days, then he, or an assistant, will return to the nestbox to take out the chicks.  I don't know if he plans to return the taken chicks to the nestbox; I guess this depends on how well they do, and also, he does not want to stress the adults more than necessary.

Elaine L:
Bev, Peter and I went out to Genesee yesterday afternoon about 4:30 to check on the situation.  As you all know by now, Gordon, the biologist, removed two of the chicks after Bev called him yesterday about our fears that they were not doing well, and that they were not being fed regularly.  We felt we had to go out to see what was going on, because we had not seen the male around for a couple of days, and the feedings were so irregular that the chicks were close to starving, from what we could tell.  Anyway, we got out there and saw three birds of prey, but we were happy to see, upon closer inspection, that one was a hawk, parked on a tower off to the left of the nest site.  The hawk was happy as he has lots of gophers around to eat; these little guys were so funny and playful it was fun to watch them, but anyway, we were happy to see we had two falcons.  One is a new male, and we have no idea where the old male went to as we cannot access the grounds around the falcon tower to look for evidence that he is dead.  This new male seems to get along fine with the female, but he is spotty about bringing in food.  We hope that now that there are only two chicks in the nestbox, it will be easier for the female and her new mate to feed and take care of them. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version