Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18

<< < (21/127) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:
It also helps to have such "easy" and safe access to remove the chicks.  Nice planning!

I find it interesting how many sites have problems with mites etc - guess we have just been very lucky and/or our winters are so cold that nothing survives!  ;)

MayShowers:
Thanks Bev,  this is just my my personal opinion, but I'm glad they are all getting a fighting chance :)

Moonstar:

--- Quote from: RCF on June 25, 2012, 15:37 ---Thanks bev, I'm glad Gord is on the peregrine's side. :-*

--- End quote ---

I agree with you RCF. 

Also I think Gord knows what he is doing and what is best.

RCF:
Thanks bev, I'm glad Gord is on the peregrine's side. :-*

bev.:
Sorry, I have not got back to you. I have been away since Thursday. But keeping close track of Genesse while away.

The little chick was born well after the others. Normally at this site there would not have been a problem. but the food was very skimpy. sometimes only one feed a day.

We were afraid we had lost the male as he had not been seen  The chick was fading and Gord had noticed this too. Please  do no think I rule Gord. But I called him and he was going to go out there and remove the chick. He decided to remove the other smallest one, to give the last 2 a chance to survive with the food supply coming in. If the female  was not getting help , 2 chicks would be easier to handle.

the 2 he took out were infested with mites. the smallest one was being sucked badly. He said that it was very dehydrated, underweight and would not have survived, the night.
some do not go up to nests and pull chicks, but  Gord does not let them die, if can be helped. After all, it is a falcon recovery program.

Gord is under the opinion , that they should all have a fighting chance.
these 2 will not be put back there because the adults are not providing enough food. the remaining 2 will be banded and dusted with powder this week.

We have no real way of knowing who the male is , but it is not banded , and the one bringing in food during incubation, was banded.

As Elaine said , when we went out there we saw 2 but the male did not seem committed. He seemed to be on a honeymoon. Let us hope , he steps it up.

the 2 remaining chicks are looking good so far.

Rest assured, thee chicks would not have been pulled if there was any other way, because Gord also believes , their best chance , is with their parents, or 2 other adults.

those who do not believe in intervention, well, I think should look at the whole program. Man interfered, the moment he helped put them on the endangered list years ago. this is just helping them to recovery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version