Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18

<< < (23/127) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: Kinderchick on June 20, 2012, 22:47 ---
--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on June 20, 2012, 22:29 ---... Nestboxes and birdboxes even bird feeders can be where birds catch them which is why birdboxes and feeders need to cleaned with bleach each year...
--- End quote ---
Hmm, I didn't know that all of these should be cleaned with bleach every year. Good to know. We do clean our backyard bird feeders every year, but not with bleach. Have you ever cleaned any of the nestboxes with bleach, TPC? ??? As you say, I'm sure the adults don't appreciate you messing around with their nestboxes too much.

--- End quote ---

No we don't use bleach on the nestboxes, we let nature do what she does best - and they are not small like birdboxes (small, enclosed and sheltered so more protected than nestboxes) and aren't prone to contamination like bird feeders (where lots of individual birds eating intensively). 

Kinderchick:

--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on June 20, 2012, 22:29 ---... Nestboxes and birdboxes even bird feeders can be where birds catch them which is why birdboxes and feeders need to cleaned with bleach each year...
--- End quote ---

Hmm, I didn't know that all of these should be cleaned with bleach every year. Good to know. We do clean our backyard bird feeders every year, but not with bleach. Have you ever cleaned any of the nestboxes with bleach, TPC? ??? As you say, I'm sure the adults don't appreciate you messing around with their nestboxes too much.

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: RCF on June 20, 2012, 17:09 ---They took the two smaller chicks here today...  
Posted by bev on BCAW - Gord just called me...the little one would not have made it past tomorrow. he was dehydrated and full of mites.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Kinderchick on June 20, 2012, 21:54 ---I'm surprised to hear that they did this. Is this typical intervention, where PF Recovery Projects are concerned? Does anyone know what the plan is for these 2 chicks? Would they be returned to the nestbox if they were healthy enough? And how is a chick treated for mites? ???

--- End quote ---

Alberta moves/removes chicks more than most I think, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, Gord the biologist mentionned above is one of the most knowledgeable peregrine biologists on the continent, lots of experience and they have enough pairs in the province that if they need to move chicks to safer locations to be fostered they have options.

Mites are not uncommon on birds (pelicans are the worst in my experience), weaker birds tend to be more susceptible to infestations.  Mite treatments are usually a spray as I recall.  They do it more in the states than we do.  We don't seem to have a problem here with infestations, might be that we have longer, colder winters which pretty much sterilizes nestsites.  Nestboxes and birdboxes even bird feeders can be where birds catch them which is why birdboxes and feeders need to cleaned with bleach each year.  We clean out the debris and try to make sure that the gravel has the opportunity dry out before the winter.  And we change the gravel when it gets too foul - but we don't that every year, the adults really don't like when you screw around with their nestboxes.

RCF:

--- Quote from: RCF on June 20, 2012, 17:09 ---They took the two smaller chicks here today...  
Posted by bev on BCAW - Gord just called me...the little one would not have made it past tomorrow. he was dehydrated and full of mites.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Kinderchick on June 20, 2012, 21:54 ---I'm surprised to hear that they did this. Is this typical intervention, where PF Recovery Projects are concerned? Does anyone know what the plan is for these 2 chicks? Would they be returned to the nestbox if they were healthy enough? And how is a chick treated for mites? ???

--- End quote ---

You may want to ask bev about this, she knows the biologist who took them out.  Maybe she can answer your questions.

Kinderchick:

--- End quote ---

I'm surprised to hear that they did this. Is this typical intervention, where PF Recovery Projects are concerned? Does anyone know what the plan is for these 2 chicks? Would they be returned to the nestbox if they were healthy enough? And how is a chick treated for mites? ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version