Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 127901 times)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1324 on: September 23, 2008, 16:21 »
So I just got home and I see birds on camera 1 and 2.  Are there actually 2 or is this just the delay from the refresh? One outside on the bar looking in and one in the box? I hope that they are rebonding.  My wireless internet acess isn't working so I have been out of touch. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1323 on: September 23, 2008, 16:05 »
Thanks for the report and the pictures, you are right..I did drink them in!  She's such a beauty that Radisson  :) 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1322 on: September 23, 2008, 15:31 »
I hesitate before I write this report as we are still not quite sure what we are seeing

When we got there last night there was a falcon on the corner jut of nest building. I believe it to be mom . She stayed there for quite a while. It was cold and windy.  But she seemed to be preening and trying to dry out. 
Then she flew off and down to the east past her building. I thought at one point I saw 2 falcons but could not be sure.  It soared for a bit in between the buildings and then went out to the east. It appeared to be stooping pigeons but we could not see. The wind was very strong so I was a bit nervous when it went toward the buildings.

Peter and I patiently waited  for her to return. We had trouble with the camera last night. but we do have a few shots which I will post with Saturdays .

We went into the shop for 10 minutes to get a coffee and when we came back still no one. We  walked around the whole area.
Over by the Ed building and up on the other parkade but no one.We walked back to the other parkade and I think we will stay here from now on because they do not seem to venture the other direction any more which tells us the kids must be gone. 

At about 6:45 Peter had to leave for a few moments ;) ;)(Unfortunately he took the camera with him). A falcon came back and tried to perch on Dads aerial. It was there for a bit and had to keep spreading its wings to keep steady becasue of the wind. It then flew off in the direction of the heart building and soared over the top  .It soared over the hospital and out of sight. A lot of soaring going on tonight. We then saw it perched on the aerial  with the flag on the heart building. 
Then another falcon came in from the east and perched on the corner of the nest building(on the jut closer to the nest box. 
So we have 2 falcons and we know one is mom but who is the other one. We are almost positive it is dad as there is no cacking . The other appears smaller.  If it is the 2 adults then the kids must have left on the weekend. I will say nothing about that until  everyone has left.  But I must say I feel a loss but a sense of hope for these 2 sisters. They have brought so much to the table this year and  I know God has good things in store for them.

The one falcon  from the aerial then flies off and goes on the ledge where they sleep  and the other one on the building quickly turns and flies in that direction but does not go on the ledge that we can see????It appears to keep going East.

Peter went down to see what he could see and there was one on the ledge but where is the other one.  All of a sudden the was a few chupping sounds and the falcon on the ledge flew off to the back corner of the Newton apartments.  This is so out of character. Peter came back and we watched for a bit.  Now it is cold and windy and we should have brought gloves.
Then the falcon flew off in the direction of the ledge but we could not see.It was getting dark.
So we walked down in the direction of the ledge building and there was no one . We walked down the side and along the front of Whyte Avenue to see if they were in the front of the buildings. We walked down past the traffic circle. We checked all the places we knew they slept but could not find them.
It is dark and we decided to call it a day.  We did not see them tucked in but I know they could sneak in later. We were quite puzzled.

This is why I had to check first thing this morning.  I wanted to see if mom was still there. We will go down today and then we will see if there are still 2. I have to check on my transmitter girl also tonight.
For a bit last night we thought there was only one.
Pictures are coming. 
We should have no more rain this week but it is quite chilly.  Lots of coffee and lots of bathroom breaks ;D ;D

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 15:37 by bev. »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1321 on: September 23, 2008, 14:17 »
Ah yes could be window washers...heh..hope they're wearing hard hats  :P :P

Her head rotated as she was watching - that's why I'm thinking she saw someone fly by, it's like they went overhead then left and then below.  Maybe it was lunch   ;D ;D

*Leaving office to head home now, will watch again when I get home!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 14:20 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1320 on: September 23, 2008, 13:48 »
Last night there are still 2 falcons. we believe them to be mom and dad but it could mom and??? we did not see more

than 2 all night.

I hope the maintenance men are not on the roof. I wish I could go right now and see but I cannot. she took off to the left side and I do not usually see her do that.
I will e-mail the bilogists right now to make sure they let maintenance know there are still falcons around. I could also be the window washers on the heart building that are getting her attention but if she looking down maybe someone is down there.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1319 on: September 23, 2008, 13:28 »
She's back again, for the last half hour!  She was looking up and around and then down below her as if she sees something - then she hoped into the box now back on the ledge..hmm..wonder if her and dad are rebonding?  Maybe he's flying round and we can't see it on the cam or maybe...it's one of the girls>???
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 13:35 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1318 on: September 23, 2008, 10:39 »
Do I have a life : ;D ;D

I just checked to see if she was there and caught her flying in and a few other good shots . she does get some funny poses

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1317 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44 »
She has been there for over an hour and left and then came back an dis gone again. I will post a series of shots. I know you will all drink it in. My report is coming honest but I have to do some work first.  I just had to make sure she was still here.
I thought this was dad for awhile

I always loved this pose

We are being told off here. Come and clean up this mess guys!!

her gorgeous self :-*

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:56 by bev. »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1316 on: September 23, 2008, 08:14 »
Grrrr..cam 1 not working at work but I can see Radisson on Cam 2!!!!  9:14 am EST

Ha...refresh 5 times and now Cam 1 is working for me and I can see our beauty sitting outside...and ..she's gone  :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:22 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1315 on: September 23, 2008, 07:56 »
I have been watching for the last while and I am just so thrilled to see her

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1314 on: September 22, 2008, 21:22 »
Alison, thanks for posting this afternoon's visit of Mom to the nestbox.  You really can see her look of, "Housecleaning? Me?  I don't think so."

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1313 on: September 22, 2008, 21:13 »

I know I shouldn't try and guess what they are thinking, but when I look at her I just think that she is a happy and successful first time mom, kicking back after a very eventful few months.  After all, she fought another female for this nestbox and her mate.  She laid 2 eggs, hatched one and successfully raised Cassie to a beautiful young falcon.  She and Dad then fostered another chick, and educated and closely supervised the girls so that they could be independent young falcons, ready to face life out there is the big world.  I have the feeling that Cassie and Hope are starting their great adventure together and will be just fine  :) :) :)

Thanks, Maggieblue for describing this happy picture.  Radisson very much does deserve to be proud of her first time accomplishment of motherhood.  It looks like she is already thinking of next season.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1312 on: September 22, 2008, 20:53 »
Thank you again for all the great updates and photos, Bev. You have made it possible for all of us to participate in everything that is happening around the nest site. I hope the whole family is still there for a little longer. Can't wait for your next report.

One of the parents at the nest box earlier:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1311 on: September 22, 2008, 19:00 »
8:00 pm EST and Radisson is back on the ledge looking into the nestbox!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1310 on: September 22, 2008, 18:11 »
For a second there today when Radisson was staring into the box..I thought maybe she's contemplating some house cleaning   :P but I guess she thought better of it.  She probably can't figure out why dad hasn't cleaned up yet given that her dad did all the housework  ::) ::)

Thanks for all the great pictures Bev, really I feel like I could find my way around there now and feels nice knowing where they might be hiding out.  Before you starting posting pictures I'd always try to imagine if it was like here and wonder where our girls would go!  Take care out there and dress warmly!