Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 126307 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1354 on: September 26, 2008, 11:48 »
ask and you shall ;D receive.. ;D ;D

from this morning. report of last night soon. Am babysitting

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1353 on: September 26, 2008, 11:02 »
Now is the time to see our Radisson preening on the perch.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1352 on: September 25, 2008, 23:14 »
Yup, we are bad Carly ;D ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1351 on: September 25, 2008, 23:13 »
I was  hoping someone was watching as they were both in the nestbox at 5:00pm Alberta time. thursday evening.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1350 on: September 25, 2008, 18:49 »
heh..I bet he does!!  ;D ;D  We're so bad..hehe  :D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1349 on: September 25, 2008, 16:22 »
Peter and i sometimes wonder if our male goes and says hello ;D ;D to Miss Edmonton.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1348 on: September 25, 2008, 16:02 »
Okay...I didn't realize that Miss Edmonton was so close by??!!  You know if I didn't know that 'Hope' came from somewhere else, I'd wonder is she wasn't dad's as well.  You know like our Windwhistler here who had 2 mates and 2 nests going.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1347 on: September 25, 2008, 15:41 »
here are some pictures from yesterday and today of radisson and one of dad . actually , i think now some of the others that have been posted have been of dad.
Radissson , I believe ,sept 24

sept 24

you can see the space being prepared for next year. do not worry, it will be all clean by next spring ;D ;D

Dad  today

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1346 on: September 25, 2008, 15:31 »
We even got a picture of the Prime Ministers plane flying overhead with the jet by its side. By the time we decided to take a picture it was far away

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1345 on: September 25, 2008, 15:29 »
A few more pictures . we tried to get her stooping pigeons but she is too quick. Need a movie camera.

If you look hard you will see how close she was to the building while stooping pigeons. 

Hard to get picture of them on their ledge.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1344 on: September 25, 2008, 15:23 »
Miss Edmonton , transmitter girl, was left without a home last year and stayed on the Weber building, in one of the photos I posted.  This year after the fight she returned there. We are hoping she finds a new home soon.   
Putting up new nest boxes at this point does not guarantee she will nest there.  Some other female and male could get there first. Last year she could have stopped at the Misecordia site and did not . This year another pair raised 2 juveniles there.  As you have seen at your site, we cannot tell them where to lay their hat. I have asked all these questions already. Miss Edmonton was born here and this was her only site and so this is all she knows.
I love her, but I hope she does not try again next spring for this nest box.  I do not want to see anyone else hurt. :( :(

Thursday Sept 14

Last night was the quietest night of all. As we drove in I saw a falcon on one of the antennaes on the Ed building. so Peter let me out while he went and parked so I could see who.  At this point I was still hoping for a kid but this is mom. Even though she looks dark underneath , I am convinced it is the shadows palsying tricks.
she stayed there for quite awhile. I finally decided to take a walk and see if I could find dad. 

After a bit Peter came to the other parkade as mom had flown off.
We spotted her on the corner of the clinical science building facing south.  She then went up on the roof and then was off toward Newton Place stooping pigeons. She did not try too hard and came away empty.  she then flew back to the Ed building.  She has not gone to the box at night in the last 2 nights.

We stayed on the parkade as we could see mom from this end. NO sign of dad and I was hoping he had not gone. It was quite cool and the wind was blowing. About 6:45 mom flew off the Ed building and onto the ledge where they sleep for the night. Peter went down and there she was on one ledge and Dad was on another in the opposite corner. I then went down to see them.
They are tucking in earlier and earlier which tells me they will soon leave.  Dad may even be gone today. I hope not but he turned in very early last night.

We will continue to monitor , not because I do not have a life ;D ;D, but because I want to see this through.  It has been very  serille  lately.
Just a few picutres

These are all Radisson on the Ed building. she would not come closer

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1343 on: September 25, 2008, 13:45 »
last of Wednesdays pictures
mom on back part of Ed building

mom on ledge of Ed building(Dad is on back aerial  at this time)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 13:47 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1342 on: September 25, 2008, 13:32 »
  This is still part of Tuesdays report.

She disappeared out of view and then Peter saw her on the Ed builidng. so Peter went to take a picture of her and this is where our wires got crossed. 
I told him to come right back and he was gone for awhile. In the meantime dad  flew in right across form me on the Extension building and started feeding. he must have had a stash there as I did not see him bring in anything.  He was eating for about 5 minutes when mom left the Ed building and made a B line right for him. She stole his food and was he P--- O--. She flew off to the to the top of Heart building with dad in pursuit. I f I did not know better it was like a training flight with mom with the food in her talons and dad chasing her and cacking. Then she landed on the ledge on her building  and dad flew over there and she took off with him in tow :) :) She flew over to top of extension building and then dad flew in there. she took off again to top of heart building. Dad stayed put for about a minute and then he chased after her. she flew in front of clinical science and dad behind her and then they she flew over heart building and out of sight with dad behind her. I could hear  some vocalization so I think they were somewhere up top.  What great pictures i could have had.

Peter on the other hand thought he was doing good as he watched mom fly over this way and then a bit later he started to walk back when he spotted mom on the back of the hospital building. he says she stayed put for about 20 minutes.

Then she flew onto back of Ed building attachment. A bit later she flew off  toward the hospital  and then Peter saw her fly to the top of the Ed building roof. In the meantime I am seeing nothing and then I see a falcon on the right back of the Ed building. So I decided to walk to find Peter and there he was at the Ed building but he could not see the other falcon at the back, so we have 2 in sight. Then they both flew off toward their area.  When we went to check  they were both on the same ledge in different corners, we figured for the night . 
As we were walking we looked back and one was gone but I do not know where.
we called it a night.
so we  still have dad and mom but I can tell they are getting ready for migration.
Radisson on ledge of Ed building

Radisson on back of hospital

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 13:43 by bev. »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1341 on: September 25, 2008, 13:30 »

the first 2 pictures here are taken front the parkade . the first one you can barely see and if I cropped it you could see it better but this is where the transmitter girls roosts.  you can see that it is a direct path to the University area.  the second picture is the agriculture building which is directly south and is where the transmitter girl recouped right after her first fight at the nest this year :'( :'( I know Radisson has had a great year but I hope you will forgive me when I say how I miss Miss Edmonton.  She is a beautiful girl and was a great mom.

No need to apologize Bev, I'd feel the same way if someone unsurped my Angel here.  I think we're all happy Miss Edmonton survived and I wish she had been able to stay as well since it was her home first.  Do we know if she managed to find a new home yet?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1340 on: September 25, 2008, 13:23 »
Hey Gang,

If it looks like there were, or are going to be, a lot of photos, could you please start a new thread for the day ... it makes it easier for folks to be able to catch up if they don't have to go through page after page to find where they left off.

The Peregrine Chick

Tracy, we don't get the option to create a new thread on this forum?  I left you a message before about this but it must have gotten lost in the shuffle!