Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177330 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1294 on: September 22, 2008, 12:51 »
1:50 pm and she's back again..looks pretty ruffled??!!  Raining or windy there?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1293 on: September 22, 2008, 10:20 »
I see her!!!  She looks lovely and pensive  :-\
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:24 by carly »

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1292 on: September 22, 2008, 10:14 »
Radisson is perched on the outer ledge of the nestbox looking in...perhaps reminiscing about Cassie if she's already fled?   :'(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1291 on: September 22, 2008, 00:36 »
I relieved an e-mail from one of the biologists yesterday and this is a bit of what he said
Great to see these two foster siblings are so close and, no doubt, the presence of a 'sibling' wll have contributed to their success as fledglings.  Peregrines, once clear of the nest, can disperse in any direction, but will eventually drift south.  Birds fledged in Edmonton have been recovered as far south as Belize, Brazil, and Columbia.  These guys are in for a great adventure.
Thanks for passing on these upbeat thoughts from the biologist.   

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1290 on: September 22, 2008, 00:23 »
[quote author=carly link=topic=518.msg9452#msg9452 date=1222007060
I'd like to think it's Cassie you saw and she came to say goodbye to mom and dad and to you and Peter for taking such good care of her and watching over her.  Because of you guys, she has a good chance of survival.  :)
[/quote]
Great thought, Carly

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1289 on: September 21, 2008, 15:36 »
I just reread my reports. Boy, the spelling eh!! :) :) More so than usual. I was just so emotional.

No worries Bev, we all understand.  We've all shed some tears this season and laughed with joy as well.   I can't wait until next Spring already until we do it all over again..lol  ;D ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1288 on: September 21, 2008, 13:47 »
I just reread my reports. Boy, the spelling eh!! :) :) More so than usual. I was just so emotional.

I have company coming in a bit but I will get  Peter to write that other report tonight and I will post pictures tomorrow.
we will be down there tomorrow and I will leave cam up today, while company is here.
they  seem to go there around 4-5:30pm Alberta time, although yesterday they were there quite a bit.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1287 on: September 21, 2008, 12:08 »
Looks like Radisson!

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1286 on: September 21, 2008, 11:47 »
An adult is at the nestbox again.  I am really sorry that I haven't learned how to capture photos yet.  I hope that someone else can capture some shots.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1285 on: September 21, 2008, 09:24 »
Since humans have started looking out for the falcons, their survival rates have increased by almost 20% and even though a statistic might be cold comfort - it makes a huge difference in their lives and you should be proud of yourself Bev and Peter too.  Without caring people like yourselves, we wouldn't have the pleasure of watching peregrines raise their young like we do and they wouldn't be coming back in positive numbers.

I'd like to think it's Cassie you saw and she came to say goodbye to mom and dad and to you and Peter for taking such good care of her and watching over her.  Because of you guys, she has a good chance of survival.  :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1284 on: September 21, 2008, 08:46 »
After Peter writes his report I would like this area still left open as we will continue to monitor until no one is left here.  I will write some other tidbits and post pictures. some may be that I have not posted yet of the girls :) :)

I also want to say that we are not quite sure if it is dad and mom or juvenile and mom but we will keep watching.

I am trying to go by size and coloring but I will have to look real hard at the pictures. I thought at one point when watching the cam yesterday Cassie was there. And then I thought I saw Hope but it could just be tricks.  I will look at my pictures from the cam carefully before I post them.

Off to church now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:55 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1283 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44 »
Friday night when we got there we believe it was mom on the ledge of her building.  she looked so regal.
Mom has lost her kid fat ;) ;)(if you have had children ,you know what that means). 
Then at about 4:45pm Edmonton time 3 falcons flew around the nest box area. what a sight and it was noisy. Lots of ecupping. At one point we were sure it was Cassie on the box and we only had the small camera. And for that I am truly sorry. 
I so wanted to capture their last moments in full form.

We believe it was dad, mom and a juvenile but were not sure. Everything was so fast and the sun was in our eyes.
This carried on for about 15 minutes.(I am sorry to say it was like a last hurray and I felt something inside me at that point.)
Then 2 flew off to the south west toward the river and one remained on the corner of the heart building. we felt the one on the heart building was looking for food.   After a few moments it flew off in the same direction.

Since I am not there all day , I cannot say what goes on . About 6:00pm Edmonton time 2 came back . One was on the corner at the back of dads building and one went in the nest box. someone on another cam had a shot at that time and it was mom.
then mom flew over her building and we think it was dad that was on the other building.  I cannot be sure of the other falcon.  Mom had her back to us a great part of the time and then the other falcon moved  closer to other on the same building. they just stayed like that. I was hoping that one was a juvenile but it was hard to tell.  They were higher up and even though we were on the parkade the lighting was poor. 

About 7:00 Edmonton time we saw a falcon come Minot view. Now we have 3 insight . It just soared overhead and I believe it was a juvenile saying goodbye :'( :'(
She looked so beautiful and she was darker underneath. she just soared and the 2 falcons on the building just perched therewotthout moving. the juvenile,I believe , just continued to soar and then it soared out to the east out of sight.
We stayed there until dark becasue I so wanted to see the juvenile come back. Peter and searched where they sleep and saw 2 falcons on the ledges where mom goes . One on one corner of one ledge and one  an  opposite corner  of another ledge. (this made us think that we might have been been missing dad at night because we never thought to check the opposite corners that were not in immediate sight. 
a few nights ago we started walking further east to check out the opposite corners and that is when we spotted the 2 on the same ledge.
I am drying as I type this becasue I do believe the girls are gone.  We watied until we could not see anymore for Hope to come to her ledge and Cassie to come where we usually found her.
that night no one was by the Ed buildings at all. we checked the cranes and all over.

I am emotional but I have been so blessed this year as I have said many times.  I know they will do well
 adn I hope they are toghether.
Bear with me because it is as if my own children left home. 
Peter will write Saturday nights report later today as he saw more than me. 

a man stopped to talk to me when I was walking around and poor Peter was stuck minding the birds.  This is the man from the other night and he has been watching these falcons for 30 years. He has seen them come and go and knows so much.  He lives on the apartment behind dads and sees everything and walks all over also. 

I will leave this report for now as I cannot write at the moment.  :'( :'(
I will post pictures form the small camera so you can see what I am talking about.

By the way we did see 3 last night  but I will have Peter write it. The other that we saw was not close up and they did not stay around whee they usually are.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1282 on: September 21, 2008, 06:49 »
Hard to imagine a day without a Cassie sighting after all these months  :( but I guess we'll have to adjust to it.  On the plus side, at least she and Hope have each other and our girl won't be alone for the first part of her new adventure.  It seems like just yesterday she was a wee eyases leaning on an unhatched egg in the nest box  ;)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1281 on: September 20, 2008, 23:55 »
I will have my reports tomorrow. I may not be able to go down tomorrow night but I will be there Monday.

We think only Mom and dad may be there although after dad flew off and mom was still on the building we saw 2 falcons fly over Dads building and caught one perched behind dads building so they may be around but not like before but you know I will be checking.
so we had possibly 3 in view tonight??? 

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1280 on: September 20, 2008, 21:57 »
Hi Bev, I am sorry that I don't hae any pictures. I really need to learn how to do that. The bird that I saw today definetly had adult plummage and sat on the outside bar facng in for quite some time. I hope that Cassie and Hope haven't left yet but at this time of year I guess that we may have to think that it is a possibilty :( :( :(  I will be checking in tommorow.