Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177354 times)

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1264 on: September 18, 2008, 17:22 »
Radisson looks so beautiful.  I hope that you see the whole family tonight ;D

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1263 on: September 18, 2008, 17:20 »
Hey, I have a theory about this mess. Perhaps Radisson is trying to make sure that no other female has an interest in nesting here next year  ::)

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1262 on: September 18, 2008, 16:33 »
Bev, you must get your exercise walking around campus following them around.  I know the U of A campus covers a large area as I did my studies there.  Pretty with all the leaves turning colors.  Anyway, have a great day, I hope you see all 4 today.

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1261 on: September 18, 2008, 16:28 »
Radisson is still at the nestbox; she's been there for over an hour and a half.  She is on the ledge facing the box - wondering where to start on the cleaning.   ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1260 on: September 18, 2008, 16:24 »
Yes, that is Raddisson  in the nest box.  Maybe looking for a few scraps YUK!!!!

Now she is on outside ledge looking in. I am on my way there shortly. Just waiting for Hubby :) :)Hopefully the kids are still there. we have a nice warm day today.

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1259 on: September 18, 2008, 15:17 »
Is that Radisson in the nestbox?  Maybe she's thinking of doing some house cleaning.   :P

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1258 on: September 18, 2008, 14:12 »
Hi Bev, I think that Carly had a wonderful idea to name this fellow after all he has been through.  I totally agree that after all of the incredibly hard work that you have done to look out for this family and to keep us informed, you should be the one to decide. 
Perhaps you could consider a name that has links to the history of Edmonton.  One suggestion would be Albert after the geographic area nearby.  It also has an obvious royal connection to Queen Victoria's Prince Consort.
Augustus is another idea although it is a bit of a mouthful. Fort Augustus was the name of the other fur trade fort that was amalgamated with Fort Edmonton.  Augustus is Roman and means great or venerable. 
A third idea is Rowand, after John Rowand, the HBC Chief Trader for the region.  I have to admit a bias towards this name just because I think that it would be a beautiful name.  He sounds like he was an extraordinary man.
Cheers   ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1257 on: September 18, 2008, 10:18 »
Greek meaning of Damon is- constant, loyal

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1256 on: September 18, 2008, 10:16 »
I am open to any names.  I was t;thinking of Damon also but I have to look up the meaning. I also like Edmund. but I am thinking something regal becasue he is such a prince.  I am open to suggestions.

Liz, I named the Red Deer girl Hope for the new hope our biologists gave her at having a chase to fly free with a family.
I did not get there yesterday afternoon and as you know I had a dinner engagement last night but I will be there tonight.  I hope no one went anywhere.
Pour weather now is only supposed to last until Sunday and then get cool and rainy again. I think if that happens they will fly the coop. :'( :'(

this has been a real pleasure for me. :-* :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1255 on: September 18, 2008, 07:35 »
I think the choice (anything she likes), should go to bev who has totally busted her butt for us this summer. 

I agree  8)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1254 on: September 17, 2008, 22:31 »
I think the choice (anything she likes), should go to bev who has totally busted her butt for us this summer. 

Absolutely right, Liz.  Bev has done a lot on the ground and on this forum to further the education of many of us about what happens after the fledge.
So, Bev, what names are you thinking of?   

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1253 on: September 17, 2008, 21:16 »

"Come on, Sis, let's go play!"

It is an amazing happenstance that fostered Hope and nest box Cassie are so close in age and both females.  <snip> I guess biologists wouldn't attempt a mismatched foster, but it thrills me that this one really worked!  Think of the experiences each of these girls have had because of being brought together.

Remember how sad we sometimes felt because Cassie was by herself in the nestbox?  Even tho we (I) got to a place where it didn't seem like there'd be room for another one!  Hope came along at just the right time... maybe for a reason.  I'm sorry for whatever might have happened to her parents; and sorry for them if she just strayed too far away and they couldn't find her.  But her entrance into this Edmonton family's life has been so wonderful for Cassie that I'm glad things worked out the way they did. 

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1252 on: September 17, 2008, 21:09 »
I like both Edmund/Edmond and Steady Eddie.  They don't name their birds their, right?  Which is how we named our 1st, Cassandra.  Where did Hope's name come from?  Anyway, since they don't name them, and we need one so we know who we're talking about, I think the choice (anything she likes), should go to bev who has totally busted her butt for us this summer.  Not having babes of my/our own to watch here in Wpg, you have kept me going, bev! 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1251 on: September 17, 2008, 15:05 »
In one picture you can see Hope trying to entice Cassie to fly.

"Come on, Sis, let's go play!"

It is an amazing happenstance that fostered Hope and nest box Cassie are so close in age and both females.  Just thinking of other combinations of earlier born foster chick, or earlier maturing to fledge male that likely wouldn't have had the success of these two together.  I guess biologists wouldn't attempt a mismatched foster, but it thrills me that this one really worked!  Think of the experiences each of these girls have had because of being brought together.

Hope the Edmonton sun continues to shine on you and the falcons for days ahead, Bev.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1250 on: September 17, 2008, 08:44 »
Pictures of Hope flying from last week. In one picture you can see Hope trying to entice Cassie to fly.