Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 127903 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1339 on: September 25, 2008, 13:17 »
now some shots of Radisson  on aerial and then she flies off and glides around overhead and into distance over Clinical Science building. remember that  the clinical science building is the nest box building.
Radisson(you can see why I thought one of the kids becasue of how dark she appears.)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 13:21 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1338 on: September 25, 2008, 13:06 »
I do not know how to start a new thread :-[ :-[
sorry about that . I asked earlier how and ....

Well guys I will write Tuesdays report and then Wednesdays report.

Peter and I got our wires crossed on Tuesday ;) ;) and so I missed some fantastic photos of dad but these are all mom.  Undoubtedly the kids have left.  I will write my thoughts of the season when everyone has gone if that is O.K.

when we got there on Tuesday no one was around. we were beginning to wonder for awhile . then mom , we believe, turns up  and perches on Dads aerial.  I guess I just wanted to believe that one of the kids was still there but I think the sun and shadows are what are making mom look darker underneath. she stays there for a bit and then becasue of  the strong wind flies off and does some nice soaring. We cannot get the pictures we want becasue she is so high up.

the first 2 pictures here are taken front the parkade . the first one you can barely see and if I cropped it you could see it better but this is where the transmitter girls roosts.  you can see that it is a direct path to the University area.  the second picture is the agriculture building which is directly south and is where the transmitter girl recouped right after her first fight at the nest this year :'( :'( I know Radisson has had a great year but I hope you will forgive me when I say how I miss Miss Edmonton.  She is a beautiful girl and was a great mom.
Transmitter girl(could not get her look up . Maybe tonight)

Transmitter girlMiss Edmonton

Weber building way off in distance

agricultural building

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 13:18 by bev. »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #1337 on: September 25, 2008, 10:03 »
Hey Gang,

If it looks like there were, or are going to be, a lot of photos, could you please start a new thread for the day ... it makes it easier for folks to be able to catch up if they don't have to go through page after page to find where they left off.

Love the photos and don't want to discourage anyone from post links to them!  So keep them coming, just keep an eye on whether the thread is getting too long to comfortably scroll through - everyone deserves to see all the images!

Keep up the great work - hard to call watching peregrines work though ... ;D

The Peregrine Chick

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1336 on: September 25, 2008, 08:56 »
9:55 am EST and Radisson is in the house  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1335 on: September 24, 2008, 19:18 »
Nice shots Bev!  It's great to see pictures of the parents flying as they are so elegant when they fly or should I say soar!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1334 on: September 24, 2008, 12:54 »
more pictures form Monday
mom

think this is mom but notice how it looks dark??

momflying in from the east

mom  flies toward clinical science building from the east

mom?

dad?

mom

mom

falcon flies away to bed down for night

One is on ledge for the night and other one flies past and out

One from ledge flies to back corner of Newton place and then flies off

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 13:06 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1333 on: September 24, 2008, 12:50 »
Pictures from Monday Sept 22

Mom on far jut of nest building

can now see this is mom by the coloring

mom

mom

mom

mom flies off past heart building and then soars over to her area

mom

mom

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 13:05 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1332 on: September 24, 2008, 11:02 »
I am processing the other pictures so hopefully I will be caught up soon :) :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1331 on: September 24, 2008, 10:50 »
Still Saturday :)
Mom remains on the ledge of her building and then 2 falcons fly overhead.  they are so  quick that we could not get pictures. So now there are 3 . They fly right over moms and dads building and out the back. We spot pigeons flying so we think they are being stooped .Then we see one in the back on a building behind an down from dads building.
All pictures are taken form the parkade .so we sort of get the birds view which is much nicer than on the ground
dad

falcon we spot after they fly overhead

mom staying put

the rest is a little foggy becasue I went walking to see if I could see anyone and I met that man who knew so much that I already told you about  . Peter tried to remember so here goes.  We then noticed a falcon  on the back corner of dads building again so maybe dad was one of the falcons that flew overhead . He then flew closer to mom on a white jut on his building.  Dad , we think, went up to his antennae and then he flew off onto the ledge of the nest building . mom flew off for a bit and then was back.
Then  mom I believe was on the antennae and then they both flew off or the night and tucked onto the ledges on the building where they sleep. One was on the right side of a ledge and one was one ledge down in the opposite corner.

so I think this is the last time we saw the kids :'( :'( I think the lighting has us thrown off. I keep hoping I am seeing one of them but I do not think so . I am sure they are off on their adventure.
closer to mom now , on front part of his building

mom

dad

dad

mom(you can see how the coloring changes???This one I did not see so I am just guessing. I will ask Peter when he comes home to clarify who it is.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:01 by bev. »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1330 on: September 24, 2008, 10:36 »
She's  there!  I finally saw her on the cam!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1329 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28 »
I captured some nice shots of her this morning which I will post later. I am trying to get caught up with site pictures. 

these will be form Saturday night. You can see why we are confused. although we now think there are just 2 as that is all we see together at one time, and we think it is mom and dad , one looks awfully dark. :-\ :-\

On Saturday when we went down 2 falcons were on the nest area . Mom was at the box and one was on the jut of the building

Then mom flew form the nest box and over to the ledge of her building. She goes there a lot lately. The other falcon flies over to the heart building and we think maybe there is food there but we are not sure. we thought this was dad but the dark coloring has us puzzled.  then dad flies back to the corner of his building in a new spot(that is also why we are wondering.
After a bit dad flies off quickly in the direction over the nest box area. he does come back in a bit and mom chups at him as if to say , where is my food.  then he takes off again.   sometimes we think we are seeing different birds.
Mom

Dad?

dad

dad?flying or mom(sorry can't remember

flyiing

flying

dad we think(by size but look at the dark

dad?

dad?maybe juvenile???

DAd flying to back of his building?

Dad?

Dad on back corner of his building

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:42 by bev. »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1328 on: September 24, 2008, 08:07 »
9:06 am EST and our beauty is on the nest box  :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1327 on: September 23, 2008, 21:06 »
Radisson is especially beautiful in the morning sunlight.  Those are great shots, Bev.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1326 on: September 23, 2008, 16:38 »
Hmmm..Okay I left the computer for like 3 minutes but no one there before I left or now that I'm back..so either it's delay or they wizzed in and out.   

*edited 'too much information'  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 16:42 by carly »

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1325 on: September 23, 2008, 16:26 »
O.K., so poof, one is gone and then so is the other.  ??? I have the feeling though that it was Radisson on both cams and that she then took off.  The pictures from today are wonderful. :)