Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14

<< < (16/56) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:
Thanks Alison - I figured collisions with buildings for at least some of the chicks, its what gets them.  In the "wild" it would be cliffs instead of buildings but nonetheless ...

carly:
Thanks Alison!  And holyy cow, these kids are flapping up a storm right now!!  It's pouring buckets outside at the moment...hopefully they will stay put until it clears up!!

Alison:

--- Quote from: The Peregrine Chick on June 17, 2009, 09:42 ---How did last years' fledglings die Carly?  I ask because other than death by airplane (from which there is rarely much left), airports are really popular locations for peregrines, not alot of buildings and great hunting much of the time.  For fledglings, that lack of building thingy is a bonus.

--- End quote ---

Not Carly, but I remember what happened last year.

Spartacus was lost in a collision with an airplane at the airport on August 22, 2008.

Vega died in a collision with a building, also at the airport, on August 25, 2008.

Mascota's body was found in Toronto on October 28, 2008. No details were given on the cause of death, and the information was not posted on the site until December 3, 2008.

carly:
Not sure TPC, they were all found on the road sides at or near the airport.  I can ask Mark for details next time I speak to him, they are all in Burlington for the fledge there this week. 

Loriann:
seems to me they bounced off buildings.. i know thats how we lost our chicks in mississauga last year..  updrafts and cross winds and glass buildings don't mix well with new flights...   :-[  :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version