Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14

<< < (17/56) > >>

The Peregrine Chick:
How did last years' fledglings die Carly?  I ask because other than death by airplane (from which there is rarely much left), airports are really popular locations for peregrines, not alot of buildings and great hunting much of the time.  For fledglings, that lack of building thingy is a bonus.

carly:
Thanks TPC.  It will be interesting to see what happens here.  Part of me wants her to have a new mate to help with the kids but another part of me hopes she moves on and finds another location and mate away from here.  It's not a good location because it's so close to the airport and last year all 3 juvies were found dead in and around there - they didn't even make it past two months after fledge I think.  I hope this years kids can stay away from the airport. 

The Peregrine Chick:

--- Quote from: carly on June 16, 2009, 19:14 ---TPC, if you have a minute or two can you go to the site and have a look at the photos of the so called intruder? It's a full blown adult not a sub adult and mom isn't ripping it's head off.  I tried to blow the photos up on my desktop but it's hard to tell if said falcon is smaller due to positioning.  Would she tolerate another female so close to her young?  Is she bowing at one point or is she fuming?  I left a message asking Mathew if mom chased him/her off as the post gives away nothing.  I'd be interested if with your experience you can notice something an amateur like me wouldn't notice.  Like the posture or stance maybe tells a story.

My amateur guess is it's a male but that might be wishful thinking  :-\
--- End quote ---

Not wishful thinking, the bird on the right of the photo is a male to my eye based on size - he's smaller and finer overall.  Could be why Mom is standing her ground rather than fighting.  Just because a male appears doesn't mean she will solicit.  She could in fact be keeping her tail feathers away from him in a peregrine version of "thanks but no thanks" ...

carly:
Update from Mathew:

Our non-resident falcon made another appearance today and Fred was fortunate enough to snap some shots during the brief visit. We still can't determine if it's a male or female, nor can we get any band info.

The youngsters continue developing and losing their white fluff. First flights are getting more likely with each day, but for now we probably need to see a lot more wing-flapping before they're ready.

TPC, if you have a minute or two can you go to the site and have a look at the photos of the so called intruder? It's a full blown adult not a sub adult and mom isn't ripping it's head off.  I tried to blow the photos up on my desktop but it's hard to tell if said falcon is smaller due to positioning.  Would she tolerate another female so close to her young?  Is she bowing at one point or is she fuming?  I left a message asking Mathew if mom chased him/her off as the post gives away nothing.  I'd be interested if with your experience you can notice something an amateur like me wouldn't notice.  Like the posture or stance maybe tells a story.

My amateur guess is it's a male but that might be wishful thinking  :-\

Liz:

--- Quote from: maggieblue on June 13, 2009, 16:21 ---Prior to her arrival they were all sitting at the edge of the ledge, heads all swivelling around in unison.  Perhaps they were watching mom catch dinner. ;D
--- End quote ---
You mean, like people watching tennis?  LOL -- that's sounds so cute.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version