Other Peregrine Projects > Canadian Peregrines

ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14

<< < (10/56) > >>

carly:
Well that was the fastest trip I've ever made to work..lol!  Angel was snoozing on her webcam in her usual corner so all is good.  NO sign of Jack but then I wouldn't expect to see him anyway.  ::)

carly:
Ack!!  Just saw this posted on Mathews site from yesterday!!

Today at approximately 5PM there was a confrontation between two predatory birds less than 1km north of our site. It was reported that two large raptors were on the ground, talons entangled, apparently trying to kill one another. A third bird was noticed in the air above the disturbance.

Within minutes a few of us were at the location, and one bird was noticed flying out of a nearby tree, no birds were on the ground. I would guess it was a red-tailed hawk flying away but I was too far away to be sure. A brief look in the area didn't turn up any injured birds.

Back at our nest site no falcons have been seen, but for this time of day (early evening) that's not uncommon. I will be checking for Mom & Jack tomorrow morning.

Thanks to the community members who took the time to find me through Building Security, as always everyone's help is appreciated.

I'm out, heading to check on Angel!!

carly:
Sad to hear that TR male won't be released but I"m glad he's improving and am hopeful eventually he will be free to fly the skies and find mom again.

As for Jack...I'm not really sure what to make of him.  He seems to be spending 90% of his time at TR lately with his new mate and only comes by our site to check in.  The other day we all watched Angel, she was perched on the condo and from there she has a line of sight straight to his new location.  She never ever perches there and she sat there for 2 hours preening and looking around.

It's going to be an interesting season  :-\

Alison:
2010 NESTING SEASON

A couple of updates from this site: I'm glad to hear that the original male from this site is improving, and hope he will completely regain his flying ability. Jack seems to be maintaining two sites . . .

Feb 9, 2010 - Houston, have we a problem?

The past few days, the falcons are behaving strangely. I don't know if it's remotely possible (please contact me if you have any insights!), but if I had to guess I'd say Jack and Mom are in courtship mode.

One problem with the current situation is that lately, the location of choice for the falcons is the south end of the building, where I'm forced to stand on the ground and try to guess what the heck is going on above. No camera to observe with, no way to know what's going on within the ledge.

Yesterday, a tandem food run was observed. Today just moments ago (1:15PM), I watched two falcons sitting on different ledges. Next came the tell-tale squawking, the male flew out, came back to the ledge Mom was on, some hoopla ensued (hidden within the ledge), and after about 20 seconds the male flew out again. A bewildered looking female soon peered over the edge of the ledge. Ah yes, memories of matings of years gone by. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! NO!!! :)

Monitoring continues as possible. Frankly I hope they're just wrestling or something, it seems pretty early in the season to start counting eggs... Right?

**2PM Update** Kathy was kind enough to pass me some additional information. Kathy knows Jack well from the Bloor/Islington site. Kathy says "Jack usually started courting Angel second week of February - the last 2 years I observed anyway. They were always the first site to lay eggs and hatch them out. She usually laid them last week of March with him. Not sure how it will work this year but he was here yesterday morning making all kinds of noises and they were both in the nestbox for awhile." - Thanks Kathy!

And so, once again we can confirm Jack is a little two-timer, quite the busy boy! 2PM - An update has been received from the MNR regarding our original male, the one currently in rehab.

Feb 11, 2010 - Mom in HD Video + Update on our original male

This morning it's a chilly -7C and Mom was spotted at the nest ledge through the remote monitoring camera. I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to shoot some video.

If you're interested, the video is on YouTube, click below to view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS9Hn8kNfMU

According to the rehab facility, our male is being kept in a serpentine cage where he's able to fly at his leisure. He has ~50 meters to fly, and has been doing so. He also has a pal in the cage with him (though they are separated), a juvenile Peregrine falcon.

Our male is apparently flying okay, but is showing a bit of weakness turning in one direction.

The MNR has said that our male will eventually be released, but not in time for mating this year. This is actually a relief, because I think our nest is already covered by "Jack", and there's been some tension amongst observers on what would happen if our original male found his way back here while Jack is around.

Our male will tentatively be released later in the season. I will get more information at a later date, and will share this info and document any release that takes place, whenever that may be.

allikat:
AWESOME NEWS!!!!!  He looks great and proud!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version