Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18  (Read 81485 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2010 / Weber & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2010, 12:48 »
I was at the Weber this afternoon and M iss Edmonton is home.  Well she had a transmitter and so it must be her and it looked like her. I am in a hurry but I will post picutres later.

she was in Wyoming on Thursday so she made good time.

Wonderful news, Bev! I'm so glad Miss Edmonton is home. Looking forward to your pics.

Offline CeeBee

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2010, 19:23 »
I am so happy to hear that she is back!  What an amazing journey she has made.  Looking forward to pictures when you have time. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2010, 17:57 »
I was at the Weber this afternoon and M iss Edmonton is home.  Well she had a transmitter and so it must be her and it looked like her. I am in a hurry but I will post picutres later.

she was in Wyoming on Thursday so she made good time.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2010, 21:37 »
... they go between 250 and 400 miles  in a day...

That's amazing, bev! I had no idea they travelled that much territoy in a day! :o

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2010, 18:16 »
MIss Edmonton is not really late. she only left 2 days later this year ,than last year. Now last year she was here on April 26
I still feel it is the transmitter.

Last year she was in Colorado on april18, this year she hit Colorado on april24.  I do expect her in a few days.
she is dodging storms, and that will delay or slow down flying time. they go between 250 and 400 miles  in a day.

the Genesse male is really late. I do worry about that We will just  have to see how he does.

Now Alastair's Rankin Inlet transmitter birds are on the move .

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2010, 17:42 »
Carly, this is very interesting!  Thanks for passing along your research discoveries.
How do scientists study brain activity in a bird, anyway?  and, especially during migrational orientation?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2010, 17:29 »
I'm looking up migration now...you knew I would..   ;)  Finding some interesting, divergent points of view and a few that mention magnetic fields...so the earthquake could have affected their timing it seems ..if that theory was proven.

More recent research has found a neural connection between the eye and "Cluster N", the part of the forebrain that is active during migrational orientation, suggesting that birds may actually be able to see the magnetic field of the earth

Off I go to read more!  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2010, 17:19 »
I don't want to say it out loud but I wonder, could a certain someone who is also MIA be late and on the move.... :-X

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2010, 17:17 »
I don't remember when she came back last year, Bev might.  It may be that she isn't late or not very late at all ... some birds are like that.  And there apparently are a whole lot more peregrines on the move right now ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2010, 17:10 »
That's interesting TPC.  I wonder if it's something to do with climate change or the earthquakes down there have somehow thrown off their timing.  Wouldn't their inner clock be set to sun position in the sky at a certain time of year and/or amount of daylight that lets them know it's time to go home? 

Admittedly I am clueless about all this so just throwing things out at you so forgive my ignorance if I'm on the wrong track.  I remember reading on Froona's site that it's the amount of daylight in the spring that turns something on in the falcons brain - sends a signal if you will that it's time to breed so I'm just wondering if the same principal would apply to migration?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2010, 17:02 »
I've been watching the HawkCount website and we've had more peregrines moving in the last week than I have seen in the last month!!  Don't know if they are tundrius or whether they are other anatums like Miss E who are taking their time on their way north .... 

personally, think they are anatums, there are transmitters on some tundrius and they haven't left South America yet ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2010, 14:33 »
I forgot to mention, Miss Edmonton ,on Saturday, april24, was on east side of Colorado springs. she is taking almost the same route ,she has taken in previous years .
I expect her by the weekend.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43 »
Peter and I were there at 2 different times yesterday and the falcon that was there the other night was not there. we will e checking it every day now to see when Miss Edmonton returns.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2010, 16:22 »
one of the biologists thinks its a female :( :(But we have to get ID.). If female ,I am hoping it leaves soon.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2010, 04:59 »
Oh good news Bev!  Let's hope it's a boy come a courting Miss Edmonton  :-*