Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Weber Centre - 2009-18  (Read 81483 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Weber Building - 2010 / Weber & Ms Edmonton
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2010, 20:46 »
Canoodling at Weber tonight :-* :-*

Woohoo!!  Congrats Auntie Bev!!    ;)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2010, 19:56 »
Canoodling at Weber tonight :-* :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2010, 07:49 »
Somewhat similar but location much lower and there could be severe interference.

Bu the building box is on is good but I do not know where they will fledge to. will have to ask Gord that.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2010, 06:08 »
the builidng is not user friendly for the falcons and we ere not allowed to put nest box there, so first storm and eggs would get drowned or chicks.

So it's like the situation in our east side nest ledge (even though it has been improved somewhat)-no wonder it's "forbidden"

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2010, 05:03 »
Bev, so happy that you and Gord were able to facilitate getting a nest box for Miss Edmonton! 

Male - check
Nestbox - check

Let the nesting season begin!!  Here is hoping Miss E is a mom this year!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2010, 23:09 »
the builidng is not user friendly for the falcons and we ere not allowed to put nest box there, so first storm and eggs would get drowned or chicks.

Here is slideshow from last few days there

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x135/fullbrandt/bev40/?action=view&current=35f83a29.pbw

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2010, 22:50 »
Hey Bev, why is the forbidden building forbidden..I think you talked about it last year but I can't remember what the problem was.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2010, 10:11 »
Peter and I have been spending a lot of time down at Weber the last few days,trying to figure out what is going on.

On Monday night ,after 4 hours we only saw one falcon and there may have been 2. when we go to check other spots ,we miss things.
but we saw nothing till just before dark, so no photos

Tuesday, Gord put up a box on Weber building. So we spent 4 hours down there again
The box has bars on  it like Red Deer. Maybe because  of all the hawks etc. 
WE only saw Miss Edmonton at first, on one of letters on south east side, then she flew off and after searching ,we found her on an aerial on the North west corner of Weber. Somewhere we have never seen her. She stayed there for over an hour and then she went and stooped a pigeon. We do not know if she succeeded. We tried to go and see but.. (We realize things will be different this year with box where it is)
Then she flew back on a letter on North west side (usual letters)
She started really chupping but we could see nothing. It was not alarm chupping.
She flew to other side on North east side of roof and onto roof. We could not see her but heard her. Do not know if she went in box.
All of a sudden another falocn came soaring around. Of course ,I always hold my breath, wondering if male or female. It flew around building and she was chupping,but we could not see her.
Falcon touched down on top of  east side (middle) stayed a minute , and then soared out  south
Before we left she made an appearance on roof ledge.

Last night,
 we went down and she was on  north east corner of building and then we saw her go into box. We cannot see well because  you cannot see bottom of box (will have to ask Gord what roof is like)
She kept appearing and disappearing from view on roof ledge
A falcon appeared flying not far from WEber and she chupped and flew off. They soared and soared south of us. She stooped a pigeon and at first I thought, oh no, an attack.   ::) ::)
She flew to box area and was chupping and he flew to Hotel ledge across street and chupped.
He then flew up to top of roof where she was (somewhere on roof or box???)
He then flew off and Peter followed ,and he was on SW side of building on letters
she popped up on roof ledge again
He then flew around back of building and snuck in NE corner (where box is) and down. do not know  if he went in box or not. and we did not see him again before we left. He could have flown off back. She kept pooping up and down on roof ledge

Our pictures are not great. (Will Post later in day)We had to send camera away and they sent it back and now our picutres are blurry??? I was so excited when I got this camera but...it was recalled and..Peter will take it to the I Dent guys at work and see if they can figure it out.
Hopefully this male stays. Look how long it is taking at Willington.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2010, 08:09 »
Last night we went down and got there around 7:45  No one home .  We waited quite awhile as  I wanted to get a picture of male.

At about 9:30pm we went to check west side of building and around back in case they snuck in and we did not seeanyone  But when we came around to other side  there was a falcon  on the top north east side of WEber, facing in. I thought the male, as Miss Edmonton never perches there and that is where he perched yesterday. no sign of Miss Edmonton. We went to other side again and nothing and when we came back , a falcon was in same spot but facing out this time. I thought Miss Edmonton this time.

Then it flew off and circled building , landed same spot and then called out softly and we think ,went on roof ,because we could not see it. They could have been feeding on the roof :-\ :-\

A very strange evening. did we see one or 2. It was too dark to tell.   I  hope I still have 2  I will try and  check earlier today .I have been under the weather but I really want to make sure everything is fine.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2010, 07:58 »
Sunday ,we observed for  quite awhile.  I have realized over the years that you have to watch for awhile if you want to see anything. and then a stroke of luck ;) ;)  Well finally in came a falcon soaring,and then another. We watched to make sure there was no aggression.  How wonderful to watch them soar. this is what Peter likes. The waiting ,not so much. We have lots of SudUko books  :)

One landed on south side of top of building and then was off.  Miss Edmonton landed on one of her letters on west side of Weber.  while we were checking things out, she was gone.  Yup, she went where we do not want her to go. (the bad building)

she stayed there for 1.5 hours and then the male came soaring back and perched on top ,on north east side of Weber.  of course , we forgot the camera.

then he flew off east and Miss Edmonton flew off same direction a few minutes later.  We went for a very late supper and on our way home we checked and the male was on top of Weber on northeast side again, and Miss Edmonton was on a different part of forbidden building.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2010, 16:26 »
We have a male.
I will post more later. I ma under the weather and only do a bit at a time

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2010, 14:54 »
Still doing great here.
We may be able to put up a box . stay tuned

Sounds promising - fingers crossed that this will happen.

Many thanks for the photos of Miss Edmonton, Bev. It's great to see her home. No wonder she was very wet, with all the ongoing snow/rain/high winds etc. in this area.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2010, 16:59 »
Still doing great here.

Oh that would be great for Miss Edmonton, good luck Bev! 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2010, 16:50 »
Still doing great here.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2010, 22:12 »
here are a couple of shots of her.

It was pouring rain tonight when we went down so she is actually keeping quite dry on The W. but in my pictures ,yesterday, she was very wet. she must have been traveling in the rain. The next few days will be the pits here