Author Topic: OH / Cleveland - Terminal Tower - 2009-15  (Read 20953 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Cleveland - Terminal Tower - 2010 / Ranger & SW
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2010, 08:13 »
Ranger Suffers Head Trauma in Collision with Building

Laura Jordan of the Medina Raptor Center relayed a message to the Museum that a falcon had been recovered on the sidewalk at the base of the Fifth Third Building at 600 Superior Avenue on Thursday at 9:50 AM and was being held in a box by building security. I retrieved the bird at 10:45 am. It was Ranger. He had apparently collided with the building and had collapsed on the sidewalk. No one witnessed the collision so we are unaware of why he hit the building. This is close to the territorial boundary between the Terminal Tower falcons and the Bohn Buildng falcons. So perhaps it was a territorial dispute.

Ranger was very groggy and had blood in his mouth and throat. Though able to stand and responsive to stimuli around him, he definitely was not ready to be released. I brought him back to the Museum and contacted Laura. We agreed that he needed veterinary assessment. He was transported to the Medina Raptor Center and then to Dr. Riggs. At last report (around 5:00 pm Thursday afternoon) Laura expressed deep concern over the head injury and gave a guarded prognosis. His condition had not improved over the course of the afternoon. If anything he was worse.

I will update as we learn more about his condition. We will all be keeping a close eye on SW and the three fledglings. There are numerous examples of a single Peregrine parent successfully caring for its late stage nestlings on its own. SW is clearly very experienced and should be up to the task.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2010, 13:48 »
Peregrine falcons are nesting in record numbers; half are in Northeast Ohio

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- On any given day, the fastest flyers in the world perform acrobatics over downtown Cleveland, bringing business meetings to a halt, thrilling lunchtime crowds on Public Square and scattering flocks of terrorized pigeons.

Peregrine falcons, once at the top of the federal Endangered Species list, have bounced back in unprecedented numbers -- especially here in Northeast Ohio.  The region is home to half of the 26 nests with eggs or chicks spotted this spring in Ohio. And the Cleveland area boasts 10 of the nests, including one at Terminal Tower that round-the-clock web cameras beam to a worldwide audience.  What a difference three decades can make.

Before DDT was banned in 1972, pesticide poisoning drove peregrine falcons to the brink of extinction, and completely wiped them out east of the Mississippi River. Soon thereafter, captive-breeding programs using western birds helped to reestablish the species in the East.  The resilient raptors ended up thriving in some of the most improbable settings, such as Cleveland. In fact, the urban landscape proved to be an inviting nesting area, said Harvey Webster, director of wildlife resources at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History and a falcon aficionado

The crevices and alcoves of skyscrapers and the walled canyons of downtown streets remind the falcons of their natural nesting environment on the mountain cliffs and ledges of the West. The city also offers an all-you-can-eat supply of pigeons and other flying food. Urban birdwatchers gaze in awe as the crow-size falcons cruise high overhead, surveying potential prey, then tucking their wings and plunging like a fighter jet at speeds up to 200 mph. When the spectacular hunters hit their targets, feathers fly and the stricken birds drop -- usually already dead. The streamlined raptors then pluck their kill in mid-air and carry them to a ledge for casual consumption.

"They are such a thrill to watch," said Webster. "They put on a show like no other."  No peregrine falcons better symbolize the species' successful urban adaptation than those that have resided on a 12th floor window ledge of the Terminal Tower. Peregrines first established residency there in 1988. Since then, three different males and three females have occupied the aerie, fledging more than 50 chicks during that time.

Naturalists from Ohio's Division of Wildlife banded three falcon chicks at the tower on Friday. And three cameras trained on the nest provide images, including the daily meal times, at http://snipurl.com/w8ogb at one-minute intervals.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/05/post_290.html

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2010, 19:17 »
I just love these photos, Alison! Thanks! :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2010, 15:31 »
I'm so glad that all three chicks hatched for SW and Ranger!

Didn't have time to post these yesterday:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2010, 12:57 »
The last egg hatched overnight, three chicks for SW and Ranger  :-* :-* :-*
Woo Hoo! :-* :-* :-*

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2010, 05:05 »
The last egg hatched overnight, three chicks for SW and Ranger  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2010, 22:08 »
Many visitors to this website have been concerned about the cables that the falcons have pulled down into the nest tray. They should pose no threat to the chicks in their first three weeks.The only function of the cables is to pull up the 'drawbridge' on banding day so that the chicks stay in the nest. They will be removed at the conclusion of the banding event.

Those cables exactly resemble coax cables used for video/data.  One cable is complete with a camera connector.  I have my doubts about the "Drawbridge" theory.  :(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 19:00 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2010, 21:57 »
Love the photos of SW and Ranger with their two adorable little chicks!  I'm so happy for these two. 
I remember how nervous Ranger was......I'll have to go back and see that picture of him peeking around the corner... I can just see the caption, " is she still there, maybe I'll just take a peek, ooop, I think she saw me!"

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2010, 21:53 »
Two chicks have hatched now!
Great news, Alison! :D What a great mama, to keep her chicks and eggs so dry! Thanks for the photos, Alison! :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2010, 17:22 »
And looks like the weather has improved for the new little family!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2010, 16:10 »
So nice to see two little heads here today  :-* :-*   Thanks for the photos Alison!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2010, 15:55 »
Two chicks have hatched now!

SW:

SW, Ranger and their two chicks:

Ranger looks so proud:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2010, 21:17 »
Awwww! Just look at how dry the gravel is where the chick and eggs are! What a great mama! :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2010, 17:29 »
So nice to see! 
Look how wet the gravel is all around.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2010, 16:44 »