Author Topic: OH / Cleveland - Terminal Tower - 2009-15  (Read 21007 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Terminal Tower - 2009 / Buckeye & SW
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 21:25 »
I haven't heard anything more about what happened with Lunge.

SW and Buckeye have been spending time at the nest.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 12:40 »
Could be that the stress caught up with him ... it is not unknown for the birds to be doing well or responding well one day and drop dead the next.  Still sucks though. 

If someone gets more information, please do make sure to post it here !

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 19:48 »
OMG...no??   :'(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 19:06 »
I don't know what happened, but Lunge has died in rehab at Penitentiary Glen.  :'( :'(

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 22:05 »
Lunge is back in care again! He was found on the ground in Madison, Ohio, and is currently in rehab. He has a soft tissue wing injury in the wrist area. I think with that type of injury he should be okay after rehab. 

Soft tissure injuries usually respond well to rest and rehab ... might mean he should have a bit more recouperation the first time around - BUT I don't know enough about his first injury to say for sure, it's just a guess ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 22:17 »
He's a beauty....look at that walk of determination.  He has a very commanding presence.
Those photos of Lunge are beautiful, Alison! And yes, allikat, I love his "walk of determination" as he marches and flies off to freedom. I only hope that he will be equally determined, on his next release from rehab!

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 22:00 »
He is definitely a handsome bird to look at, great markings. Hopefully, he can keep away from danger and not be grounded again. Fly high and soar the skies!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 21:38 »
Lunge is back in care again! He was found on the ground in Madison, Ohio, and is currently in rehab. He has a soft tissue wing injury in the wrist area. I think with that type of injury he should be okay after rehab.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 23:08 »
He's a beauty....look at that walk of determination.  He has a very commanding presence.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 23:02 »
Good news about Lunge. It turned out he did not have a coracoid injury (which would have meant a broken collarbone); he had a swollen and bruised wing.  He has been released.

Photos by Chad and Chris:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 00:05 »
One of Buckeye and SW's juvies this year, Lunge (band 70/B), has been found injured at the airport and has been taken to the Medina Raptor Center. Apparently Lunge has a coracoid injury, but looks fairly good at this point.

Lunge when he was a little younger: photo by Scott Wright.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 20:51 »
Buckeye and SW having a short discussion in the nest box today:

Buckeye's beautiful tail feathers:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 17:06 »
Do you know how old the chicks were at banding?

As Carly mentioned, the first chick hatched on April 18th. The second chick hatched during the night of April 18-19, and the third hatched on April 21. Twenty-one days is generally considered a good age for banding; old enough so that their legs are pretty much the size they are going to be (in order to use the correct band size), and young enough so that the chicks are not going to be inclined to go over the edge.

The chicks were named 'Strike' (Female), USFWS band 1687-30212 34/H; 'Lunge' (Male). USFWS band 1126-06620 70/B; and 'Cirrus' (Male), USFWS band 1126-06621 71/B. The bands on the left leg are black/red this year.

I haven't had time yet to watch all the videos and look at all the photos of the banding, but I noticed that there are also outstanding photos by Chad and Chris, Scott and others.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:58 »
WOW,  did you hear the strike on the that guys helmet? WHACK.........  brave parents though, one sitting on top of the camera(?) just hollering at him the whole time..  some gorgeous big fluffy chicks though, they are BIG !

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 06:17 »
First chick hatched on April 18th so they were around 3 weeks old which is typically when you want to band them...before they get any ideas about trying to attempt to fly off the ledge in their panic....

I too feel bad seeing the parents so helpless but boy they put up a good fight!  Thankfully they didn't get hurt taking runs at the window...that kind of scared me I must admit.