Author Topic: OH / Cleveland - Terminal Tower - 2009-15  (Read 21005 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Terminal Tower - 2009 / Buckeye & SW
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 08:58 »
Thank you for that report Carly....

How upsetting that it was most likely a collision with a window and/or building as you pointed out Carly.  Again, I know it doesn't matter to falcons but he didn't die alone.  Nothing should die alone.  Fly Free Buckeye!!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 08:16 »
From the CMNH Falcon Site:

Buckeye - 1996-2009
I am very sad to report that Buckeye was found on a sidewalk by West 3rd and Huron Rd in downtown Cleveland this afternoon and died in transit to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. It appears that he sustained fatal head injuries. He had a long and distinguished career at the Terminal Tower with Zenith and S/W and sired many, many young.

Buckeye Update
To follow up on my last post, this is what I know. A lady walking on West 3rd and Huron found Buckeye on the sidewalk clearly in distress and barely responsive. She covered him with her coat and contacted me at the Museum about 1:40 pm on Tuesday, 11/17/09. She offered to transport Buckeye to the Museum so that we could assess his condition and expedite his transportation to the Medina Raptor Center or Lake Metroparks Clinton Wildlife Center. When she arrived at the Museum around 2:10 pm Buckeye had already expired. I confirmed his identity by the R/K color band and notified the Ohio Division of Wildlife. We will have a necropsy performed at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo today. However it is clear that, without a mark on his body and blood streaming from his mouth, Buckeye sustained a fatal head injury consistent with a window or building collision. A necropsy might reveal if there were any underlying health issues. My examination suggested he was in good health and plumage with no sign of other conditions or injuries that might have contributed to his death.

I will be spending time at the Terminal Tower this afternoon to assess the work being done on the ledge and I will keep an eye out for S/W.

This is is a difficult time of transition for all of us falcon enthusiasts who have become so attached to the lives of Buckeye, S/W and their offspring. This is also a time of transition for S/W. It is my hope that her long term attachment to this very successful site will hold and she will recruit a new mate in the coming weeks or months.

I will keep you updated with any news.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 20:15 »
I know Carly....I'm trying to react better to these situations, but as you wrote, we don't have to like it!

Buckeye had a great life and spread his genes, the purpose of life.  There are little Buckeye's flying around and one day, one of those falcon's may in fact come back to this nest.  One never knows, but one can hope! 

For the love of Falcons.......

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 20:14 »
Know how you feel Carly, every spring I dread a new male replacing Trey (hatched 1995) and I hold my breath with every dead/injured peregrine phone call I get during the spring/summer/fall ....

With genes like Buckeye's it will be neat to see how his kids do, I'm sure you and Alison will keep us informed on anything you hear!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 19:58 »
Maybe Alison will have more information, she must be devastated as all of the board is I'm sure.  He had a large, loyal following.  We just keeping losing all the prolific males, I know it's the cycle of life...but I don't have to like it  >:(

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 19:46 »
Very sorry to hear about Buckeye  :'(

He was truly a wonderful bird and has spread his genes....I guess we will never find out how he in fact died. 

Good luck to SW, I hope she finds a new mate for next season....Fly Free Buckeye!!!  You had a great life!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 19:29 »
Heartbreaking news just read at Alison's board & at BCAW, Buckeye was found dead today.  Truly heartbreaking, he was one of the best.   :'( :'(

http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/news.php

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 18:30 »
Big Yellow Feet in the nest today - but not the usual ones:

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 12:03 »
Looks like when we had to set up the lines to band the birds on the Radisson this year!  :D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 09:57 »
Great pics Alison....very happy to know that the construction company is being very considerate to the falcons. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 22:29 »
How to co-exist with construction:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 18:45 »
That's so cool that they are being considerate to the pair and returning their nest box in the evenings.  I can only imagine what they must be thinking about the box coming and going like that!  I guess though as long as it comes back then it's okay with them  ;)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 17:50 »
Buckeye and SW have to deal with ongoing construction at the Terminal Tower, including renovations in the immediate area of their nest. This has necessitated removing their nest tray during the day, and replacing it at the end of the day. However, the falcons have handled this extremely well so far.

Both visited the nest tray this morning:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 21:11 »
With ongoing construction on the building, Buckeye and SW haven't been around much, but they were at the nest today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 20:41 »
Buckeye and SW strengthening their pair bond: