Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 48866 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Montreal - 2011 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2011, 11:49 »
Spirit is banded (a 2004 offspring of the famous Buckeye and Hilary from Hilliard bridge in Ohio) but Roger is unbanded.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:53 by carly »

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2011, 10:33 »
TPC, as Carly says, these falcons stay year-round.  Eve Belisle, who is in charge of this webcam and reports on these falcons throughout the whole year, says that they are Spirit and Roger, but I don't know if they are banded; I don't think so.  She says that mating took place 15 days earlier this year than last year.  Spirit and Roger produced their first egg on March 24 last year. 

Also, she has not seen their son from last year, Horus, since August, but this may be because he has moved to a new territory.  No reports on this, though.

Just as an aside, they had falcons at the Champlain Bridge in Montreal last summer who produced four young in June, and then the mother went missing, likely hit by a car.  The father did not keep up feeding the young, and by the time the government decided to step in and save the young, it was too late; two were already dead in the nestbox, one died on route, and the last one died at the bird clinic.  It was very sad to lose 5 falcons at once.  If I see news on the Champlain Bridge nestbox for the coming Spring, I will let you know, and perhaps you can set up a separate link, TPC.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2011, 08:25 »
They stay year round here TPC , like ours do.  Eve has also reported 'mating' took place for the first time on February 11th - that she witnessed anyway.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2011, 22:50 »
Do we have official confirmation (i.e., band numbers) of Roger and Spirit?  Or has a pair returned and they are assuming its Roger and Spirit?  I don't know the site well, so I don't know if this early a return is usual for this pair.

If they are officially confirmed, I can update the board subject ...

Elaine - help?  ???

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2011, 17:15 »
The cameras are up and running at the University of Montreal, and both Spirit and Roger are back.  They installed new cameras, which are more stable than the old ones.  Apparently Roger paid the camera crew a visit while they were installing them, and paid a return visit to the nestbox this afternoon.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2011, 21:16 »
Neat.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2011, 21:09 »
ditto

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2011, 17:57 »
Yes! Thanks for the reminder of this link! :)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2011, 10:25 »
Well, there's someone on that live camera now.  Thanks for this link, TPC and Elaine ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
U of Montreal - 2011 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2011, 09:53 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

Elaine L has offered to websit this site for us, so as soon as Roger and Spirit (or whomever) arrives home, we will have the best seats in the house!

Their webcams are up and operating but there is a new web address.  I have updated the other webcam links, but here it is again for those who want to update their book marks.  

http://ornithologie.ca/faucons/

There are 4 cam angles, one appears to be active at the moment - one is freeze-framed on a night shot from December and the other two cams are offline.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
l'Université de Montréal
Montréal, Quebec

webcam & website: http://ornithologie.ca/faucons/

Nice to have a webcam here, though we will have to work on our French to be able to follow all the minutae of Roger and Spirit's lives!

Resident Pairs & Offspring
  • 2014 - Roger & Spirit - ?
  • 2013 - Roger & Spirit - ?
  • 2012 - Roger & Spirit - ?
  • 2011 - Roger & Spirit - ?
  • 2010 - Roger & Spirit - ?
  • 2009 - Roger & Spirit - ?

Couple of notes:
Roger - unbanded I believe - named by Eve Belisle after Roger Gaudry
Spirit - 2002 wild-hatch from the Ironton/Russell Bridge in Ironton, Ohio

And in 2010, Polly, a 2009 offspring of theirs hung around during the beginning of the nesting season.  She had injured herself after fledging and her parents let her hang around the nestsite the following spring.  She left the nestsite in May 2010 ...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:50 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Montreal - 2010 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2010, 21:13 »
I love it when they (the chicks) grab hold of something in the nestbox, usually a leftover wing or a feather and they wingersize with that in their talons!  It's just great to watch!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2010, 00:11 »
That is a great photo of the parent holding the prey above for Horus to grab!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2010, 20:38 »
Horus seems to be doing fantastic!!!  ;D....(What's with the Sticks) ???

Fledglings like to play with things ... had a hacked chick in Portage la Prairie that played with stones on the roof from which she was being hacked - played with them for hours - she'd flip them in the air then chase after them (running and flapping her wings) and do it all over again.  Others have made an art form of chasing grasshoppers on the wing - my first year with the project we had a grasshopper infestation in the province and the fledglings I was taking care of became amazing aerialists!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2010, 20:26 »
I'm actually wondering if Polly is looking after that chick she stole from the nest?   :-\
Not sure, maybe that's a long shot but thought I would put that out there.

allikat & sami, I too have wondered the same thing, way in the back of my mind... has anyone heard if the chick that Polly snatched from the nestbox was ever found? ???