Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 48728 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Montreal - 2010 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2010, 21:15 »
I just read on Imprints that Eve has passed away.  It was posted by Nicole    :'( :'( .  Here is the link to the thread.

http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1423.msg18782#msg18782
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 21:16 by carly »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2010, 15:46 »
Hope he at least fell in to a Biology dept window, where the likelihood of an adept rescuer would be higher than in a, say, Philosophy dept.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2010, 15:11 »
Horus is back in the nest with Mom who rewards him for his shenanigans with a snack! ::)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2010, 15:09 »
Seems that Eve has been throwing up her food  :-\ - Hope it's nothing too serious!

Brother Horus has been pulling some pranks, landed beside an open window at the University and then went IN the window!!! - Didn't show much appreciation to his rescuers either, lots of aggression ...but they got him back outside & all is well.... :D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2010, 19:34 »
Update from Eve posted on BCAW - Eve is not well and was removed for treatment today!
Oh no! Poor Eve! :'( Please do keep us posted, carly.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2010, 17:41 »
Update from Eve posted on BCAW - Eve is not well and was removed for treatment today!  Talons crossed she gets better!  And wow Horus fledges on Day 37...you go boy!

Hi all !
Since yesterday Eve has not been well at all. She was lying down all the time and refused to eat this morning. No wing flapping, nothing. So we captured her this afternoon and I took her to the vet, we will know more about her condition tomorrow. Meanwhile, Horus did his first flight, he flew very well ! He's now on a roof below and seems in very good shape. You can see photos of Eve on my blog :

I will keep you posted on Eve's condition when I know more!

Eve

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2010, 23:09 »
Their fledge watch starts Thursday. Horus is already outside the box and looking great. Eve is still inside nd so she should be

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2010, 17:42 »
There are some very good photos that you can watch as a slideshow on BCAW of the banding, capture, actual banding and putting the chicks back in the nest box. The parent(s) were very aggressive as you can see from the pictures. The banders went out in full gear which apparently is due to asbestos at this site. They didn't do this last year but apparently were made to do it this year. The link is as follows and it is the 3rd posting down:
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=582&start=160

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2010, 15:16 »
Boy, what a difference a few days makes!  These two chicks are much darker now, and very sturdy on their feet.  I have noticed that since the banding last week, mom hardly every leaves the nestbox site; I am sure she is thinking that there is no way they are going to disappear again if she keeps a very close eye on them!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2010, 18:01 »
Many thanks for the pics and slideshow, Bev!

The chicks were looking very well fed today, and making a lot of noise.

Horus (on the left in the first pic) has the yellow band, while Eve has the red band:

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2010, 15:49 »
a few shots from today

thumbnails so click on each picture

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2010, 15:45 »
I watched the banding and the taking of the chicks form the nest box. Mom was still in the nest box, when they opened the back door. she backed out but stayed on the perch for a bit. thankfully they lowered  a net over the front because the second chick backed right up and would have been out of the box. Scary to watch.

You could see the 2 legged people up there  on outside cam as things were happening inside. They heard them on the roof first and started chupping .

As soon as net was removed , and they went to their room to band Spirit was back in the box and Roger was cacking up a storm.

I knew they would have fun putting the chicks back ;) ;)

I will post my slideshow but their cam inside was very blurry .

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2010, 10:12 »
From the photos, the chicks look fat and healthy, a testament to their parent's parenting skills.  I suspect the four hours until their next meal was more stressful on the parents (they being so agitated) than on the chicks.  At this age, they can wait this long and longer between meals without difficulty, particularly since there are only two at this site, their is more food for each at each meal anyway. 

Just as a note, bander or predator, the parents' response would likely be the same, so if they were anonymously living on a cliffledge somewhere and had a close call with a predator, the chicks probably would have had to wait the same amount of time before their next "snack".

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2010, 09:45 »
Those poor chicks, Eve and Horus, had to wait 4 hours yesterday after banding to get fed by their parents.  From what I could understand on the web site, the parents were too agitated to even think about feeding them, and were flying around the area, watching for the return of the hated banding team.  But finally, Roger dropped off the food, and mom topped up the chicks, who were mightily pleased to finally get some food, and all's well that ends well.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2010, 18:18 »
The chicks still look displeased about the whole banding thing:

Spirit arrived: