Author Topic: QC / Montréal - l'Université de Montréal - 2009-19  (Read 48741 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Montreal - 2011 / Roger & Spirit
« Reply #173 on: April 22, 2011, 20:57 »
And just for eye spy, get out your banjo again!  Polly has been located, alive and well and nesting possibly with her brother!!!..
LOL, carly! Of course we all remember Polly! How could we ever forget her and her baby snatching antics?! ;)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #172 on: April 22, 2011, 19:12 »
And just for eye spy, get out your banjo again!  Polly has been located, alive and well and nesting possibly with her brother!!!

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/2011/04/des-nouvelles-de-polly.html

Rusty french tranlsation in my own words:

Eve starts off saying 'we all remember Polly, the juvie who wouldn't leave the nest last year and who continuously interfered with her parents during incubation last year, she also to our great distress stole one of the babies.  And here she is one year later, at 2 years of age attempting to nest herself for the first time at a newly discovered nest.  Thank you to Sylvain Cusson who discovered and read our Polly's bands.

The most troubling thing is her partner might be her brother Algo.  So far the numbers we've managed to read on his bands correspond to Algo's but have still to be confirmed.'

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2011, 23:50 »
Yes, TPC, that is what I meant to say; the falcon had a little box on its back with a wire sticking up out of it.

I figured that's what you meant Elaine, but it is late on a Saturday night, so just needed to clarify.  ;)
Hope the Montreal folks manage to find out who their new arrival is and where they have been!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2011, 23:38 »
Yes, TPC, that is what I meant to say; the falcon had a little box on its back with a wire sticking up out of it.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2011, 22:31 »
Engineers have placed a nestbox under a new bridge they are building in Montreal, the Mercier Bridge, and a falcon with a wire attached is now there. 

The falcon has a wire on it?  As in radio/satellite transmitter?

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2011, 12:39 »
Engineers have placed a nestbox under a new bridge they are building in Montreal, the Mercier Bridge, and a falcon with a wire attached is now there.  I could not understand the French in this video enough to figure out everything that is going on here, but Eve was there, and the biologists and the newsmedia were there and all all seemed to be delighted; the hope, of course, is that there will be a breeding pair in this nestbox this year.  With all the construction activity going on there, I don't know, but I sure hope this works out.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2011, 14:35 »
Hatching is expected on April 29 or 30.  Eve has posted an excellent photo of Spirit taking a break, showing that total perfection in flight that is the mark of the falcon:  every part of her body is lined up perfectly, there is not one fault, not one feather out of place. 

Apparently she and Roger are excellent guards of their territory, too, and any creature that has the misfortune, Eve says, of unintentionally or intentionally entering their territory, suffers the wrath of the gods.   

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2011, 12:53 »
Spirit laid her fourth egg at 1:54 this morning.  And just a while ago, there was apparently an intruder (unspecified) on the scene; Roger stayed on the eggs, but Spirit took off to check out this problem.  From what I gather, the danger has now passed, and the intruder has left the area. 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #165 on: March 28, 2011, 11:34 »
Third egg for Spirit and Roger yesterday at 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time.  If all goes well, the first chick should appear on April 29.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2011, 16:32 »
Second egg for the proud parents today at 1:15 p.m. Eastern Time.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2011, 13:33 »
First egg Wednesday morning, much to the surprise of Roger, it seems; he looked that egg over thoroughly, and thought about it for a few minutes before deciding maybe he should sit on it.  Right now, it looks like Spirit is working on the second one. 

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2011, 12:06 »
Everyone is awaiting that first egg.  On the online poll, most people selected March 21 as the egg day, but that day has come and gone.  Spirit did spend a couple of nights in the nestbox last year, though, and then produced her first egg, and this year, she so far has spent one night, Saturday, in the nest box.  I am thinking March 24 will be egg day. 

Meanwhile, Roger has been having a few problems with finding his way around the new elevated vents on the building, according to the video; Spirit was sitting on the ledge taking it easy and he came flying in and smacked into her, even though she saw him coming and ducked.  No one was hurt, anyway.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2011, 15:53 »
Spirit is in the nestbox now, adjusting the gravel to her liking for that first egg.  Eve Belisle is conducting a poll, just for fun, as to when the first egg is expected; last year, it was March 24.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2011, 17:01 »
We have photos this morning of Spirit and Roger bowing to each other in the nestbox.  The game is on, and I would not be surprised to see some eggs by late March.

That's great news, Elaine! :D

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2011, 13:48 »
We have photos this morning of Spirit and Roger bowing to each other in the nestbox.  The game is on, and I would not be surprised to see some eggs by late March.

http://fauconsudem.blogspot.com/