Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177992 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #814 on: August 06, 2008, 17:25 »
the young female fledged on July20 last year. this is late but do able. the biologists say there is still lots of time for her before they migrate.

remember they just have 1 to train. 

I still think she has a long way to go with the wing flapping and losing more fluff but  if the parents  are trying to get her to go it may be sooner.

I jsut want her to be as strong as she can before she fledges.
It is not in our control anyway . the biologists told me I ma better to watch form my computer and then run like heck in my car. that is what  I did last year. Because I canot be there 24 hours. I also monitored from the ground .

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #813 on: August 06, 2008, 17:08 »
From my records from last year,I kept better ones this year, the young female wa out on the outside perch 6 days before she fledged. but mom was there a lot more than Radisson.

Bev, was the girl born late last year as well?  I'm just wondering due to the fact we're in August already she might go sooner cause she has alot of training to do.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #812 on: August 06, 2008, 16:59 »
I'm sorry I couldn't get a shot of her wings out on the bars, my home computer is crap compared to my work one.  She might be ready by weekend I'm thinking, she's on the bars now, roof next and then a day or two of flapping like crazy and she's off so the weekend might be it - I told her to wait for you  :D

No worries if I see her go - I will call you if I see it.  My luck is always the second I leave for a few minutes they go...lol  ;D  I think she's going to soar when she does go, she's a strong girl and I have faith she'll take to the skies successfully and mom won't let anything happen to her - that Radisson is not one to mess with..hehe..she'll pull her up by the wings I'm sure!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #811 on: August 06, 2008, 16:57 »
From my records from last year,I kept better ones this year, the young female wa out on the outside perch 6 days before she fledged. but mom was there a lot more than Radisson.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #810 on: August 06, 2008, 16:48 »
I am sitting here also saying OMG.

I do not think she is ready yet though.  they usually do their flapping on here as the next step but I agree that she may go sooner then expected. 
I am not at all ready for this.  I just e-mailed the biologists for the numbers I need in case but I am being positive for her.
I di not see the wings out on the outside perch as I had to do a few chores.

I have to go out later but you have my numbers Carly .  I do not think she will go until after the weekend.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #809 on: August 06, 2008, 16:42 »
Hehe.. time to move on out I guess  ;D.  She seems to be relaxed now though, honestly I thought she was going to take off there for a second!  Checking out the neighbourhood I guess  8) 8)

Surely that little display deserves some food eh mom?  Are you watching mom  :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 16:45 by carly »

Offline JL

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #808 on: August 06, 2008, 16:36 »
 :o There's just not enough room in there for her.  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #807 on: August 06, 2008, 16:30 »
Bev, I think she might go sooner than later  :o. On the ledge bars again!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #806 on: August 06, 2008, 16:29 »
Oh my god, she's on the bars on the ledge, wings spread!!!  I just got home from work - thought she was going to take off!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #805 on: August 06, 2008, 16:06 »
She just gave me a heart attack.  she is not ready to fledge yet but those wings. I missed the best shot.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #804 on: August 06, 2008, 14:05 »
poor girl( she is at the left middle part of the box( i hope nothing bites her ;D)

the shade should hit in about an hour and a half and then she can get out of there. the mess I mean , not fledge.
I wrote another e-mail to the univ so I will see if they answer this time.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #803 on: August 06, 2008, 12:56 »
When I checked in 10 minutes ago, I could NOT find her anywhere in that nest, and I looked very carefully.     

I've had that experience a few times bcbird, with all that muck in there it's hard to tell where Cassie is.  I wonder if that's moms strategy?  If I leave all that crap in there no one will find her and take her away  ;D ;D

Sunny times are hard on the birds, that roof top looks black - going to be hot up there on the talons in the heat  8) 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #802 on: August 06, 2008, 12:26 »
When I checked in 10 minutes ago, I could NOT find her anywhere in that nest, and I looked very carefully.  Switching to cam 3, I saw her "appear" on the ledge and then do lots of wing spreading, balancing on one foot.  She can't have fledged, or one of you would have noticed, but I've never really lost her in the nest before.  Move over in the Cardiac ward, Bev, as I think we will have several more heart attack cases coming in as we watch this girl!     

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #801 on: August 06, 2008, 12:10 »
It is very warm(finally ) today and for the next few days.  The unfortunate part is that Cassie has to retreat top that gross box. the good thing is that it gets some shade starting about 14:00

a few more pictures of Cassie.  One when mom came in and a few others

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #800 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11 »
and thanks from me too.. can't access any cameras at work or we set off nuclear war or something..

nice to check in and see pictures..  she is changing by the minute...  :)