Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177659 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1009 on: August 11, 2008, 07:31 »
I am very tired but I will start the report and pictures will come later.  I have them downloaded and just have to crop them. I will try and shorten my report

Sunday aug10

11:20
-we got here after 09:00
-we finally found one adult at the very top of moms building but no one else. Peter went up on the parkade and a whole new world opened. We could see the whole aerial view.
-Cassie popped up on the far right of ledge of roof (belwo nest box)
- Adult flew off building and then it was just Cassie.
- Peter then spotted both adults on below balconies on a new building from usual. It was a block and a half further up the street(puzzled at first but then becomes clear,I think :) :))
-Cassie remains sitting on ledge facing in and adults are resting on their ledges

11:30
A on rt upper ledge of building flies off and Cassie is cacking . A flew behind the new building across from nest building and then behind nest building(maybe hunting). We later find where they go when they are behind this building(building across from nest is the heart building and i will refer to it as that from now on)

11:50-12:05
-Cassie goes down onto roof , the back onto ledge and then back onto roof and then at 12:05 back onto ledge

12:50  Adult left on the apartment building flew straight down (maybe for prey)

12:58
A comes to Cassie from behind the heart building with prey and does a touch and then leaves with prey behind heart building and then comes back and leaves prey on ledge. Cassie cacking  and flapping the whole time.
-Cassie mantles the prey for a bit and then drops prey onto roof and jumps down to roof to eat(can't wee but you just know that is what our girl is doing ;) ;))

- all is quiet . NO adult in sight.

- Stars ambulance comes in and lands on hospital roof. (bringing mom reinforcements)

13:24
-an adult returns sot roost on new apartment building . Other adult is not in sight(we learn later where they are when we do not see them)
-Cassie remains on roof (can't see)

13:40
other adult then flew onto moms building further down
-all are accounted for(Cassie is either still eating or sleeping)
- lots of room on that roof for sleeping , eating and wing flapping. she probably thinks she has found heaven.( no prey to sleep in, yes!!!)

13:50 
-mom left new apartment building (did not see her leave)

Will leave off and come back in a bit

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1008 on: August 11, 2008, 05:11 »
. she stayed put today but had a lot of wing flaps and that tightrope thing.  Well she did a lot of cat walking the ledge.  she did real well.  And i feel better becasue I think I know where they are going to take her and if I am right she will be O.K.

So happy to hear she's progressing at her own pace.  You can't blame her for not wanting to rush it  :D  And no doubt, mom and dad know best.

I didn't see the parent back at the nest box but I expected it, they are very territorial although honestly don't think anyone would just want to move right in at the moment..lol.  Maybe Radisson is ready to start 'cleaning' the house  ;D ;D

Looking forward to your full report Bev and the pictures especially - we all miss her so much already  ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:20 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1007 on: August 11, 2008, 05:06 »
Carly, I was watching scenes of the explosion and fire on TV this afternoon. How far away from it are you? That could be really frightening for anyone close (and close could still be some distance away).

Fortunately for me I'm about 20 minutes away from that site - and that's 20 minutes by car so it's quite a ways away.  I did get woken up by the explosions but like alot of people I thought it was thunder and ligthtening.   We had just had an  day of violent storms so it never occured to me it would be anything else.  I really feel for the people in that area. 

On the plus side if there is one, there are no peregrines in that immediate area as it's all residential and low rise  :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:15 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1006 on: August 10, 2008, 22:07 »
I forgot to mention that one of the adults was in the nest box this afternoon . did anyone see it???

Be back in a bit.

I hope everything is O.K. in your area too Carly.. I have not had time to read the news.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1005 on: August 10, 2008, 22:01 »
Thanks so much for your reports, Bev. My computer chose this weekend to cut out, have been able to get on only early morning and late evening, so have just caught up with all that's happened. Not being able to see what's happening is bad enough, but not being able to read anything for hours on end is a real pain. I'm so glad you're watching our little Cassie.
Carly, I was watching scenes of the explosion and fire on TV this afternoon. How far away from it are you? That could be really frightening for anyone close (and close could still be some distance away).

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1004 on: August 10, 2008, 21:41 »
Just a quick note.  Just got home from watching and I have a lot to report as usual but I have to pack my husband first. and we have pictures and Peter will download them after he finishes watering for me. she stayed put today but had a lot of wing flaps and that tightrope thing.  Well she did a lot of cat walking the ledge.  she did real well.  And i feel better becasue I think I know where they are going to take her and if I am right she will be O.K.
so I am going to pack my hubby and then I will be back. Most of you are in bed so you will read it in the morning.  We took 150 pictures but I promise you will only post a few .
see you later

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1003 on: August 10, 2008, 20:24 »
RATS!  I knew I'd miss something this weekend!  Lots to read, but I thank you all for the great pictures (literally and figuratively) of what went on the last few days. 

Bev, thanks again to you and your family for being so diligent in your watch, and for your interesting play-by-play.   :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1002 on: August 10, 2008, 15:53 »
I sure wish we could SEE!!  ::)

Lol,,,me too, I miss her antics already.  Hope she flies back to the box someday  :(

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1001 on: August 10, 2008, 15:45 »
Thanks Carly!  :D - good to know - but I sure wish we could SEE!!  ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1000 on: August 10, 2008, 13:32 »
2:29 PM EST and I just heard from Bev with a quick update for you all.  Cassie is still on her new ledge, she made it through the storm okay and is doing well.  Mom and dad have moved to a new building to perch..not sure why but Bev thinks it may be an easier path for her to fledge to. 

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #999 on: August 10, 2008, 12:14 »
Another thank you from Winnipeg!

Your pictures and comments have made this site come alive for me.

Watching the refreshed pictures with the comments and added photos made it real and exciting.

Thanks again.

Moka

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #998 on: August 10, 2008, 11:52 »
I am grateful to Bev for all the work she does and the posting and watching and reporting.  I don't get the refreshed pictures but at least I can check here and find out what's going on. So a BIG thank-you Bev.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #997 on: August 10, 2008, 11:34 »
Ditto to that!~!!!!!  ;D ;D

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #996 on: August 10, 2008, 11:28 »
Bev, thank you so much for the report on Cassie, Raddison and Dad.  I look forward to reading everything you write out for us.  If I lived in Edmonton I would be out there with you. 
Just know that we all appreciate everything you and your family are doing to keep us informed.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #995 on: August 10, 2008, 10:35 »
I believe one of the new young females is from Rochester .. Mark Nash mentioned it in an e-mail.  If she is till there next year you will have 2 young females from Rochester in your area.

;D Why am I not surprised that it may be one of Mariah's girls!!  She is a great peregrine and she produces strong girls, that's quite a few of her daughters we have in Ontario now.  Go Mariah  ;D ;D

I was surprised to hear that 2 peregrines so young are already mated but I'm happy to hear that.  That's what I hope for our Cassie since she'll be migrating alone, hopefully she'll meet up with a nice peregrine boy and they'll look after each other.  If she was here I'd hook her up with our Gunner in Port Colbourne (his mom Milie is one of Mariah's!) as he's a lone male peregrine born there this year!  Peregrine Dating Service  :D :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 10:39 by carly »