Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178566 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2008, 18:53 »
I guess I'm grasping at straws and the white spot on the egg is really just a bit of fluff or a pebble stuck to it maybe.... :P

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2008, 14:44 »
Thanks Tracy. I knew this but was trying to keep positive . she is doing a great job though. she works very well with the male. 

Yes we are lucky to have even one with all the territorial disputes.. She lasid that last egg after having to defend the bnest again so I was surprised to even see it. 

But i always like to see more than one.  Being human , I like them to have company. :) :)

they are doing well with the heat but the nest box should be in the shade soon

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2008, 13:48 »
Radisson is a first time Mum, back late, fought to win the territory all of which is to say that I think you all are out of luck for the egg to hatch at this point.  Not saying that stranger things have happened but it would be very unlikely at this point and even more unlikely that the chick would survive the differences in ages.  I think Mistral survived last year because she had three sibs to keep her warm and dry until she was able to take care of herself.  If the egg were to hatch, its nestmate would not be able to help much, just not big enough and I'm not sure Radisson is experienced enough to keep brooding them both long enough for the "younger" one (if it hatches) to survive through the first couple of weeks.

With all the information you all have about the peregrines at this point, you have probably already worked this out for yourselves, but I thought I would post it anyway.

Here's hoping though ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2008, 13:40 »
I could not get into post until now.. I do not \know why I have been so optimistic but I believe we will only have 1 :(

I am glad we have at least one

I say this becasue she is lying and sitting with egg at back and chick in front.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 13:42 by bev. »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2008, 07:48 »
Shift change about 20 minutes ago and I got a good look at our wee chick having a nap on the egg, it was sooo cute  :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2008, 23:37 »
It is getting very dim, and I'm wondering if that is the unhatched egg no longer under the nesting parent?  Maybe the egg hatched and it just a piece of the shell?  Maybe it is a piece of debris?  Darn dusk light!  I guess we will have to see what's up in the morning.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2008, 22:46 »
someone is in trouble . adult is box has been calling out for past 22 minutes.(can't make u mind who.(I think the male)I can usually tell but the lighting is tricky tonight

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2008, 22:09 »
Got out my trusty magnifying glass again -  :P, Might be a pip, might not - sure hope so!!!!  8)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2008, 21:25 »
I know I am wishful thinking but is that a pip. I am going to look back on my other one

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2008, 20:16 »
The way the building is if you look on cam1
The nest box is protected on 3 sides because of the  building also.  the only thing that can get in is driving rain from the east. right now the nest box will be in the shade.

I think I got one feeding wrong yesterday . I said dad and and mom leaves fo ra  it was mom but what seems to happen most times is dad has the prey outside(I will have to go down this week and look, but I think on the roof right across , as that is where they like to go) and mom leaves to pick it up an dad goes in and babysits and then mom comes back and dad leaves and then mom feeds. so I saw dad in and had to leave for a second and just assumed it was dad still and it was mom . so whoever posted mom I am sorry. although dad does do some feeds.

this male , as i said is used to fedding a crew so this is easy for him.. He likes to eat Franklins gulls.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2008, 19:53 »
Thanks for the pictures, bev. 
That first one reminds me of pictures of first feedings of pablum to a little one in a high chair, "Now open wide....." 
I guess it's because the views are refresh, rather than continuous, but these parents seem very calm and patient. We don't get a sense of adverse weather either.  The joys of a nest box!  Go ahead, have a thunderstorm, hail, wind.       

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2008, 19:03 »
I never give up. The last hatch in Toronto was 5 days after the first hatch so...There were hatches in between but...

It is very warm here today

A few pictures maybe

Clickables

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2008, 14:32 »
I was looking back on other nest sites and this isn't game over yet. they can hatch   later than 48 hours
This is only 34 for last day laid so.... I know they do not have to hatch is order laid but I am remaining hopeful
Iwonder what would be the longest amount of time for still being hopeful?

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2008, 14:15 »
I guess if it doesn't happen today, it isn't gonna happen..? :-\

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2008, 14:06 »
No, that egg looks intact, with nothing to suggest new fluff.  Adult has been sitting upright, facing the cam, with wings a bit spread allowing a pretty good view for awhile. 
Just now though, seemed to nudge chick and egg over more to centre of box, and is now sitting sideways, so no more view.