Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2009 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 116852 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - August 2009
« Reply #2386 on: August 25, 2009, 18:10 »
Mr. Bev here again.  Sorry we haven't posted much lately, however, Bev is away on a family emergency and I have been swamped at work.  I see that you have heard about Mr. White.  No news yet as to how he died.  Gord Court told me that he would be examining him and let me know if he found something, however with the remains it may be hard to tell.

I was down at the site last night with my youngest daughter who was up visiting.  Her first experience of seeing falcons.  It turned out to be a great night as we saw all five, mom, dad and three juveniles.  Mr. Red was up to his old tricks of knocking others off their perches.  Since last week, we had only seen two falcons, but got real lucky last night.  Great to see them all healthy and flying.

Bev may be back next week some time.  Depends on her fathers recovery.  Will try and keep you posted.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2385 on: August 24, 2009, 21:39 »
Any word or sightings of the others??

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2384 on: August 24, 2009, 20:58 »
Thanks for that update...even though we had hoped Mr. White would turn up someday, at least we know.  Fly Free Mr. White!
exactly.  So Sorry, bev. 

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2383 on: August 24, 2009, 17:06 »
Just getting caught up after being away for the weekend.  I hope all went well for you lorac.  Wouldn't that be the cat's meow if you got a job where you could watch the falcons all day when they are there.  Just set up the spotting scope and you just might get some work done....

Positive thoughts from Brandon!!!!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2382 on: August 23, 2009, 21:10 »
Oh dear.   :'(

Current News - August 18th, 2009- White-banded male's body found.  Thanks to many hospital staff members, the white-banded male juvenile peregrine that went missing during the fledge watch on July 23rd was identified.  A biologist involved with the project, Gord Court, went to the Clinical Science building today to retrieve the carcass.  The male was believed to be approximately 35 days old when it died.  The bird was found just behind the sound baffle on the roof just a few metres from the nest box.

So sorry to hear this very sad news, lorac! :'(

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2381 on: August 22, 2009, 10:35 »
Lorac, did the biologist say anything about how our little falcon died?  I hate to think he was stuck in there and starved to death!  Can Gord Court give us more details?  It is such a sad situation, but at least now we know.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2380 on: August 22, 2009, 06:09 »
Good luck Lorac!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2379 on: August 22, 2009, 00:48 »
I am so sorry to hear about Mr. White. It is very sad that he was found so close to the nest box. Poor little guy. I wish all four of these beautiful juvies could have survived.  :'(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2378 on: August 22, 2009, 00:45 »
Good luck, Lorac, from the other side of the Rockies.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2377 on: August 21, 2009, 23:44 »
Winnipeg is having positive thoughts for you, everything is crossed. Go get 'em, knock their socks off !!!    :)

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #2376 on: August 21, 2009, 23:37 »
Good luck wishes from London, Ontario to you lorac!

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #2375 on: August 21, 2009, 23:09 »
Bob just forwarded the info to me today from the UofA website.  I don't know if Bev is still around right now -- I know that she had to go and visit with her dad, so I hope it won't be upsetting for this information to be posted here first for her.

I hope that the little guy didn't suffer, I guess we'll never know.  But he sure did have a lot of folks ... from all over ... in his corner.

Waiting anxiously until next year ...

(BTW -- I'm going for an interview on Monday.  "IF" I were the lucky candidate, my office would be on the 7th Floor of University Terrace directly facing the nest box on the Clinical Sciences.  I could be paid AND watch the falcons.  So ... could I please ask all the Falcon Folks to keep their fingers crossed for me on Monday at 11:00 Mountain Time?  You are awesome.)
Good wishes and luck coming from Central Pa. for you

lorac

« Reply #2374 on: August 21, 2009, 23:05 »
Bob just forwarded the info to me today from the UofA website.  I don't know if Bev is still around right now -- I know that she had to go and visit with her dad, so I hope it won't be upsetting for this information to be posted here first for her.

I hope that the little guy didn't suffer, I guess we'll never know.  But he sure did have a lot of folks ... from all over ... in his corner.

Waiting anxiously until next year ...

(BTW -- I'm going for an interview on Monday.  "IF" I were the lucky candidate, my office would be on the 7th Floor of University Terrace directly facing the nest box on the Clinical Sciences.  I could be paid AND watch the falcons.  So ... could I please ask all the Falcon Folks to keep their fingers crossed for me on Monday at 11:00 Mountain Time?  You are awesome.)

Offline debc52

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #2373 on: August 21, 2009, 22:44 »
Oh that is such a shame. My sympathies to you all. Thanks for letting us know Carol.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2372 on: August 21, 2009, 21:02 »
Thanks for that update...even though we had hoped Mr. White would turn up someday, at least we know.  Fly Free Mr. White!