Author Topic: Logan - 2014 / Hart & Jolicoeur  (Read 23191 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Logan - 2014 / Hart & Jolicoeur
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 20:48 »
Here's hoping! 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 14:36 »
No chicks yet for Joli and Hart - maybe next week ...
They are currently on (as best we can estimate) Day 33 of incubation.  Last year, chicks hatched out on Day 34.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 12:01 »
Right... hadn't thought about the skill of defending the nest. Just assumed that skill was innate in all fairly mature PF's.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 16:21 »
Do you mean that Hart is not very good at incubating or is he not good at "bringing in the bacon," TPC? ???

In this particular case, he sucks at paying attention to who is getting too close to his mate and his offspring.  But it wasn't just that he wasn't paying attention, he almost missed our visit altogether.  And I don't think this is a new thing, Joli was velcroed to her eggs and didn't get off until Hart finally remembered that he is suppose to fly at the featherless bipedal thingies while making some kind of noise (did I mention he sucks at vocalizing too?).  When he finally remembered what his dad used to do, Joli finally made a noise and hopped off the nest.  Fortunately Dennis had a decent telephoto lens on his camera because we weren't that close and he managed to get a couple of shots of her and of the eggs before we departed.  If he hadn't turned up Joli wasn't in any kind of danger from us, but had it been something else, he was too inattentive to realize there was a threat.  This I do believe he will learn, Ivy was a bit slow in the beginning relying on Princess to show him everything.  But he made it up in stuffing his greedy little children until they were nigh to bursting - even the sainted Trey was not that overachieving a provider.  With luck, Hart will figure out what he's suppose to do to defend his young and he'll have other stellar hidden talents.  If one of those talents is that he learns from one year to the next, that will work as well.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 14:02 »
Do you mean that Hart is not very good at incubating or is he not good at "bringing in the bacon," TPC? ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 10:16 »
We checked the nestbox on Friday and all was well - 4 eggs look great and Joli sure knows her job, but Hart  ::)  he really is a very very young dad.  No attention to detail.  We were only there for a few minutes, hoped to see how many eggs she had but wasn't going to disturb her more than we had to to find out - would be enough to know she was still incubating.  Hart almost didn't turn up before we left and when he did, pretty lacklustre performance but it was enough for Joli and that is what matters.  We may be being too hard on young Hart, Cowboy was an act nobody in the province, not even Jules in West Winnipeg could match.  But heck, even Ivy was more assertive and Ivy was not Trey or T-Rex.  Maybe once he has something to wiggly and vocal he will be upping his game, or maybe we just have to wait until next year.  On the other hand, if he isn't a Cowboy in defence but an Ivy in "chick-rearing" that would be okay too - Ivy's chicks were fat and happy and for future prospects, that might be a better test of fatherhood.  Particularly since Joli can almost her inner Cowboy when she needs to.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 16:24 »
Any more news about eggs/inculating for Hart & Joli? 

Haven't checked on them for awhile because of the cooler/wetter weather.  At our last visit, looks like they should hatch about a week after the Radisson/McKenzie Seeds.  We are hoping to get a look at them when the weather is a bit warmer/drier.  Joli tends to get off the nest when we turn up and then is sometimes a bit slow getting back on, I think because Hart is not nearly as aggressive as Cowboy was and she isn't sure he's doing enough to drive us off.  But that is just my impression so far in their relationship and we have been purposefully keeping a low profile so that she isn't torn between trying to be "mum" and "Cowboy".

I'll certainly post an update when I have one.  :)

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:37 »
Any more news about eggs/inculating for Hart & Joli?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 23:06 »
so glad they are nesting. they do not have to do full incubation till 2nd last egg. And she will not be incubating all the time. Hart will do some

will miss Cowboy

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 17:41 »
Last year Cowboy spent alot of time perched on the smokestack antenna.

I have not seen any birdie there at all this year until today.

Cowboy back ? or Hart found his old perch.

Saw Joli twice today, so she is not sitting on the egg(s).

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 21:06 »
Well everyone must be pleased that the forum is back up and running...are you needing a Peregrine fix for 2014 ?

New photos have been added to all the galleries and other photos will be added when events unfold.

If your interested in being added to my photo email list...simply send me an email, it's just that simple.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrines_2014

Cheers !
Dennis

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 18:57 »
May 1 - Nest Check

Surprise, surprise, looks like Hart did know what he was doing, Hart & Joli have 1 egg in the temporary nest tray we installed for them.  Now we will have to see how he does as a daddy.

Good news about Hart and Joli's egg......keep em coming!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 18:46 »
Woo hoo! Great news for Hart & Joli! :D Here's hoping for a few more eggs.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 22:29 »
May 1 - Nest Check

Surprise, surprise, looks like Hart did know what he was doing, Hart & Joli have 1 egg in the temporary nest tray we installed for them.  Now we will have to see how he does as a daddy.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Logan - 2014 / Hart & Jolicoeur
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 22:27 »
I'll post some earlier observations here as soon as I can.