Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14  (Read 53844 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008 / Dad & Mom
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2008, 23:00 »
The Mathew Rossi/Bruce Massey/Mark Nash Reports on the Webcam site are getting very poetic as these young ones mature.  There is so much information on that site, and a lot of fabulous new pictures.  I'm sorry I hadn't been checking more frequently in the past.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2008, 18:15 »
Ack..violent storm jsut blowing in...2 kids on the ledge, hopefully Vega is okay where ever he is!  The wind is so strong I can feel it inside and lightinging is happening! 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2008, 14:19 »
Congrats Carly!!
An adult has been perched on the left of the ledge for awhile, seems pretty calm, though frequently looking up.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2008, 12:13 »
Good for you Carly!!!!!!!!!!!!  Glad you got to see Vega fledge. I was thinking the same as you that I hope he has a safe innaugural flight :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2008, 12:08 »
I saw it too Eagle, finally I got to see one!!  I hope he lands safely  :D  Now I can go out on the balcony and stay put for a while, was so afraid I'd miss this one..lol!

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2008, 12:03 »
It's 1:02 here in Ontario and Vega just fledged :)  He'd been flapping his wings quite a bit, was over in the corner when he just flapped one or two times and off he went.

Houston we have liftoff !
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 12:04 by eagle63_1999 »

Offline Antiologist

• Past Member
  • Egg
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2008, 12:02 »
Vega just fledged!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2008, 07:21 »
8:19 am and I checked the site and there were 2 on the ledge but only one now when I bring up the cam.  I'm assuming it's Vega and looks like he is getting ready to go...he's on the edge flapping his heart out! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2008, 22:20 »
They put pigeon traps up on some of the roofs here to trap them  - some are nets and some are metal cage types.  The idea is you lure them in with food and then trap them.  Then a pest company comes in and takes them away to rerelease them somewhere else so they aren't pooing on peoples balconies, roofs and windows.  We have had peregrines here get trapped in them, that's another reason the banding is so important, they will call CPF if they find one of ours and it won't be harmed.  We have alot of pigeons in Toronto, I would say out of control but as much as they annoy me when they poo on my balcony - I'm not a fan of caging any animal but that's just me, I wouldn't like to be caged so I couldn't do it to another living creature.  They do have netting you can put on your balcony which keeps them from landing which is ok, at least they don't get hurt but alot people finds that ruins the view and look.

I think that was dad on the ledge with them  The parents have been staying really close to them - no doubt with all the dogs, humans trying to get up close and personal with them, they must be quiet nervous.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2008, 21:38 »
There isn't a time on the report, but I thought I saw all three back on the ledge a few hours ago.  Maybe it was an adult, rather than the returned Mascota.   What is a net pigeon trap? Or WHY is a net pigeon trap?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2008, 21:23 »
Daily report is up, looks like the humans are determined to scare the birds thinking they're pets  >:(.  All are ok and there are some pics of Mascota from last nites check up before rerelease - what a cutie.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2008, 19:20 »
Hmm...dad is eating on the ledge.  He ate a bit ( I think it's dad cause the juvies seem bigger than he is) and then he kind of looked sheepish before he went over to offer them food.  One took a feeding while the other just watched and then the one eating just had a few bites and turned around and sat down and dad took his food back to the ledge lip and finished it.  Hope they're not having a rough day again and hope the third one is okay.  No updates all day so I hope that just means they're busy watching one fly.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2008, 19:00 »
Vega is also a male.  He can go anytime, now.
Thanks, Antiologist. 
I'm confusing this nest with the 2 males and 1 female of Elk river.
Vega seemed to me more likely a female name, compared to Spartacus and Mascota

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2008, 17:02 »
Oh..someone made it back home!!  2 juvies on the ledge now!  The storm didnt' last long - 20 minutes and it was gone!

Offline Antiologist

• Past Member
  • Egg
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 15:51 »
Vega is also a male.  He can go anytime, now.