Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14  (Read 53637 times)

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008 / Dad & Mom
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2008, 22:44 »
That is very sad news indeed. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2008, 21:41 »
Some very sad news from the Toronto residential area cam site:  :'( :'( :'(

"December 3, 2008

In the ongoing effort to keep folks updated, it's unfortunate to share the news received today.

After a cross-check of band IDs with our Ministry of Natural Resources, it was unfortunately confirmed that a Peregrine with Canadian band 92 over X, (US Fish & Wildlife band #112604701) was found deceased in Toronto on a recorded date of Oct 28, 2008. The band corresponds to Mascota.

This information may have been available sooner through other channels, but today is the first we're hearing of it.

The MNR commented that this exemplifies the plight of an at-risk species, the high mortality rate they face during the first year, and explained that this is why the recovery of a species takes so long.

Personally and echoing your thoughts, yes, this is a letdown. Again, as I've said before, I'm still appreciative for all we have and continue to learn about the falcons, that is a big upside we can all take away from this.

We have, and if required will continue to do our part to assist in the recovery process. Our role only extends so far, the most difficult part is faced by the falcons."

We have now lost all three of the beautiful juvies from this site - first Spartacus. then Vega three days later, and now Mascota. So few survive; and yet so many people just can't wait to take them off the endangered list. The challenges that face peregrines are endless.   

A few photos from the short lives of these precious birds. All photos are by Mathew Rossi.

Mascota in front:                                                                         Mascota on the right:

The last two pics were taken after Mascota's first flight, when he landed on the ground.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 10:52 »
Mathew Rossi has posted some new reports and pictures of this Toronto pair on their ledge in the snow.  8)  I wonder if they are going to stay around for the winter? 

http://www.asic.ca/peregrinefalcons/

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2008, 20:39 »
I am SO sad about Spartacus and Vega.  I enjoyed watching all of them, and was glued to my screen the day of the last fledge.  To repeat -- an airport really is a bad place to be.  I too hope they come back, and find a better place next year. 

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2008, 17:04 »
Some good news to report.  A juvenile, almost certainly Mascotta, has been photographed back on the nest building.  And mom and dad have been back at the nest ledge having some quality time.  :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2008, 16:28 »
 :'( :'( :'( I'm just heart broken.  That family went through so much to get where they are and look what has happened.  Hopefully mom and dad can find a better nest site next year, I know they had to chose this place after their real home was demolished...airports are a bad place for our little ones.  :'( :'(

I just wanted to add that we have lost too many male peregrines as well. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 16:47 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2008, 23:52 »
Oh noooo! To lose two of these beautiful juvies within three days is too much.

Vega was the last to fledge, on July 27. Below are a few photos of him by Mathew Rossi. In the first and second pics, Vega is on the right.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2008, 20:11 »
Mathew Rossi reported yesterday that Vega has been found at the same airport after a fatal collision with a building there.   :'(  This is so sad.  My heart goes out to all of the people there involved in the fledge watch and the other activities. 

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2008, 11:57 »
What a shame to lose Spartacus. He was a gorgeous bird - and we can't afford to lose even one, especially when this has been such a bad year for them.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2008, 21:04 »
It is so sad to lose Spartacus - what a beautiful juvie he was. There have been far too many losses to collisions with planes.  :'(

Some photos of Spartacus by Mathew Rossi:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2008, 08:49 »
One of the juvies, our beautiful Spartacus has passed on... stupid planes  :'( :'(

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/tops/gtaprivres1.html

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2008, 11:20 »
From the website report regarding Bruce Massey of ?CPF.

Bruce's favourite quote "This is the ledge, and that is the edge, one inch over the edge is a fledge."

That certainly describes it well!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2008, 07:45 »
Yay..dad is back and healthy  ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2008, 06:43 »
Ack..dad is MIA after an intruder alert, hope he turns up today  :(

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2008, 10:38 »
New update just posted, all kids flying well so far.  Two new sites being added to their Latest News section..yay more peregrines!  My plan to take over the skies with peregrines is working...muhahaha  ;D  ..errr...I mean great to see more nesting sites, that's really encouraging news for the species  :D