Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2008-14  (Read 53663 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Toronto - Apartment Block - 2009 / Jack & Mom
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2009, 19:06 »
I'm glad they have at least one egg, and hope there will be more. I am hoping for a much more successful ending to the year for this pair.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2009, 16:53 »
Not sure what is going on here, Mathew had initially said 2 eggs and I can see 2 eggs in the photo but he's saying it may be one egg looking like 2?!  It's been four days since Egg 1 so I'd like to think by now she's got 2 but these 2 have not had an easy life so we'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2009, 17:28 »
....they have the quickest quickies ever
  LMAO! 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2009, 17:15 »
Nice pics!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2009, 17:15 »
Yikes! I'm glad I'm not a falcon. No privacy there!!

never mind the privacy ....they have the quickest quickies ever

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2009, 14:52 »
Excellant, Carly, thank-you for posting the info!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2009, 14:50 »
Finally..we have our first egg here!

http://www.asic.ca/peregrinefalcons/

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2009, 17:18 »
Ugh - sounds WAY too familiar!! - we do not want any more 'Water on Ledge' scenarios!!  :(- This year will be a Success!!... ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2009, 01:25 »
Sounds very familiar ... so far Winnipeg's early spring is being very gentle, hopefully that is a good sign ....

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2009, 17:09 »
Yes it does, thank you Tracy!  I was worried that mating so soon and laying eggs in this weather would be too soon!  Last week it was plus 15 one day and in the same day down to minus 10.  And today it's minus 18 with the wind chill and we had a bit of a mini blizzard here also so good to hear this is a longer process and takes a few weeks.

This pair here apparently had a failed first clutch last year and they are out on an open ledgeand we had a horrible, rainy, stormy spring.  During the second clutch, at one point the CPF actually was on standby to rescue the eggs due to possible flooding because of the heavy rains.  The ledge did get wet but fortunately mom had the eggs tucked in an area that stayed dry. 

I can see already it's going to be an exciting Spring!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2009, 23:31 »
I'm not sure how this whole mating/egg thingie works as last year by the time I discovered the peregrines the eggs had just hatched.  TPC could probably give us a clue but from what I've read, this is how I understand it: every time they mate they make an egg, so mate, lay egg, mate again, lay another egg, repeat!   This only applies in the Spring of course, if they mate outside the seaon then there are no eggs.  From previous logs I've read, the Toronto area peregrines usually start laying eggs next week to the end of March. 

Oh wouldn't that make it easy for researchers but no, I'm afraid the birds come home, do some courting - longer for some than others, can be quite short for some of the solid pairs.  Princess and Trey were at "it" (PG-13 board and all that) within 48 hours of his return (I believe) last spring, but they have been rather quick getting started all along.  So they court, display nest behaviour, partake in some romance etc etc etc.  Copulations come in two varieties, the complete and incomplete, with the former beginning at least 2 weeks prior to egg-laying and normally lasting until the third egg is laid.  The "act" lasts for between 5 and 10 seconds and they are quite frequent. 

So, last year, Princess arrived home a 7-10 days before Trey, they were copulating within a couple of days of his return on the 31st of March.  They use the JR sign on the Richardson Building frequently, particularly in the beginning, it lets them both have a separate spot to sit and preen in between loving (see photo gallery - grainy photos, but you can use your imaginations).  Last year our first egg laid on April 19, second on the 21st, third on the 23rd, fourth on the 25th or later - usually they lay them much closer together, particularly three and four and it might explain when four was removed by the adults not long into incubation.  Eggs didn't start to hatch until May 28th - a week later than usual for these two, actually for most of our pairs at the Radisson.  Cold, wet spring.

Does that help with understanding what the TO birds are up to?

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2009, 17:21 »
Yikes! I'm glad I'm not a falcon. No privacy there!!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2009, 15:48 »
I'm not sure how this whole mating/egg thingie works as last year by the time I discovered the peregrines the eggs had just hatched.  TPC could probably give us a clue but from what I've read, this is how I understand it: every time they mate they make an egg, so mate, lay egg, mate again, lay another egg, repeat!   This only applies in the Spring of course, if they mate outside the seaon then there are no eggs.  From previous logs I've read, the Toronto area peregrines usually start laying eggs next week to the end of March. 

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2009, 13:11 »
Mathew is reporting the first mating has occured at this site!!  It's plus 10 already today so I expect all the peregrines here today will be hit with 'spring fever' and that can only mean eggs are on the way soon...woohoo!!

Woohoo too!  So when do you think there might be some eggs?

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2009, 08:02 »
Mathew is reporting the first mating has occured at this site!!  I'm off work for a few days so I am wondering if my pair has also mated while I'm off...hehe probably taking advantage of my prying eyes not being there!!

It's plus 10 already today so I expect all the peregrines here today will be hit with 'spring fever' and that can only mean eggs are on the way soon...woohoo!!