Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2014 / Beau & Beatrix  (Read 38070 times)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
West Winnipeg - 2014 / Aug to Dec
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2014, 16:09 »
This afternoon, three were hanging out at the Tower. I believe all of them were chicks, I'll know better when I review my photos on the computer.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2014 / July
« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2014, 21:54 »
Today at about 6:30 p.m., there were two chicks hanging out on the east sign (one of them was Bristol) and two chicks were hanging out higher up on the roof.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #200 on: July 28, 2014, 09:44 »
Shortly before 7 pm yesterday, we arrived to find Beatrix plus one chick sitting on the east sign (Chick 1). There must have been another chick on the roof 'cause it was being very vocal (Chick 2). We decided to move to try to see that chick. I then discovered that there was another chick on the neighboring building to the east (Chick 3).

That's when Chick 3 decided to take off and was carrying food. Well, Chick 2 launched off from somewhere on the WW building followed closely by Chick 1, they were both chasing Chick 3. What happened next was a lot of aerial acrobatics, with all three chick returning to the WW building. Beatrix watched and cocked her head, but didn't move from her perch.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2014, 21:44 »
Wind is up in West Winnipeg - two of the chicks arrived and hung out for a few minutes around 2030h then took off again.  Beaumont arrived a few minutes ago and he tried to find a spot on the ledge to lie down out of the wind, but didn't seem to be able to find one, then he hopped into the box and that too was not what he was looking for.  Now he is back up on the ledge, back to the camera.  Bristol arrived and nibbled on Beaumont's tail from the ramp before hopping onto the wall edge for a last look around.  Beaumont has retired into the nestbox and Bristol is on the nestbox ledge just where Beaumont was a few minutes ago.  Now she's gone into the box to join him.  Maybe Belle and/or Bishop will join them yet ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2014, 22:58 »
Yup, Bristol is red ... Belle is yellow ...

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2014, 17:49 »
Red tape is Bristol I believe.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2014, 17:44 »
At least one of the chicks has been a bit sneaky as well, hiding behind the sign.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2014, 17:42 »
It has been a lot of fun watching these chicks over the past few day. They tend to hang out close together and often two or three birds can be spotted relatively close together. At one point 3 were flying and chasing each other, but I only captured two together in flight.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2014, 12:55 »
Last night all the kids got together for a pre-bedtime confab but it only lasted about a half hour before they all took off again.  By the size, looked like Belle and Bristol were the ones who came back to the nestbox to spend the night - the boys were probably nearby on the roof just out of camera range.  All the birds - adults and chicks - seem to prefer to hang out on the building at night (good for us!)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2014, 09:44 »
The Bs had an early start this morning - but all I believe have been back on and off, alone and with others a couple times up so far this morning.  They are looking very comfortable and confident these days.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2014, 22:26 »
Sounds so sweet…and very obliging of all to return! I suppose they like the setup on their roof, and it certainly appears they enjoy the company of each other (at least for now).  

And they still enjoy each other - and they seem to understand time better than a lot of humans - again by 2155h all the kids were home at the nestbox.  Won't last for much longer, but nice, and amazing, to see while it does.

I would love to see them on a live cam. Although, the updates are all great, and sometimes we even get play-by-plays! :D  

No plans for a public camera here - cameras are expensive and they mean that occupants/residents lose a lot of privacy so they aren't often popular which we can fully understand, having peregrines on your building isn't the easiest thing to live with (despite what we might think  ;)) and having a live webcam can make it a thousand times worse.  The Radisson is okay with it in part because it is a public space already and the peregrines have been there since 1988 (first successful nest in 1989) so they are very used to them.  McKenzie Seeds is unoccupied at the moment but the peregrines have been there since the early 1990s nesting, earlier than that we were releasing captive-bred chicks there so they too have a long familiarity with having peregrines on-the-roof.  No other site in the province is like that and with the explosion of the internet and all the benefits and problems it provides, public webcams are not something many folks jump at.  So it may be that updates and play-by-plays (when we can) are the best we can provide I'm afraid.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2014, 21:38 »
Chicks all together last night, all night.
10:00 pm. all 4 chicks are now back at the nest box for the night.

Sounds so sweet…and very obliging of all to return! I suppose they like the setup on their roof, and it certainly appears they enjoy the company of each other (at least for now). I would love to see them on a live cam. Although, the updates are all great, and sometimes we even get play-by-plays! :D

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2014, 20:24 »
At around 7:15, I saw one of the chicks on the wall, gearing up for a short flight. S/he took off to the northwest, flapping madly in a circular path out and back to the building, and glided in for a landing somewhere on the roof.  8)  Beatrix and a napping chick were perched on the letters.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2014, 22:15 »
All 4 chicks have now fledged, last one went this morning...10:00 pm. all 4 chicks are now back at the nest box for the night.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2014, 20:41 »
Now have 3 chicks back in the nestbox and all facing North...perhaps it's the wind or perhaps they are waiting for # 4 to come screaming in  ???