Author Topic: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 36735 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Logan - 2013 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 18:59 »
By his behaviour, he was pretty adamant about not wanting us there, pretty sure I could feel his breath on the back of my neck as he flew by my head a few times  :o.  

We can only hope that vigorous territorial behavior is proportionate to his appreciation of its location for nesting!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 17:34 »
Dennis and I installed a tuppernest at on a suitable building for Cowboy and Joli, now we will just have to see if they use it!  By his behaviour, he was pretty adamant about not wanting us there, pretty sure I could feel his breath on the back of my neck as he flew by my head a few times  :o.  Didn't spend any more time out on that roof than we needed to, that's for sure!  Cowboy don't like anyone on his property!! 

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2013, 15:50 »
Here's hoping right along with you!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2013, 14:55 »
I know the nest box is not a good place for them to lay eggs because of the terretorial fights that will happen but how will you know where she does chose to lay her eggs.
If she can't access the nest box will she just choose any place or will it be too late to lay eggs.  I am thinking like a human...when a baby wants to arrive it just arrives  and there is not stopping it.  Are laying eggs like that.
I know I may sound dumb but it is just a thought.

No worries Moonstar, we are working on that part of the equation as well.  There is one location that we know they have been visiting that we hope to put a tuppernest and then another spot that is close to their favourite perch that we are pretty sure they will at least notice.  The plan would be to block access to the nestbox and hope they retreat their comfort zone (HSC) and then say "hey honey, look there are nice boxes of gravel, how about there for the family?"  That's our hope at least ...

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2013, 14:50 »
I know the nest box is not a good place for them to lay eggs because of the terretorial fights that will happen but how will you know where she does chose to lay her eggs.
If she can't access the nest box will she just choose any place or will it be too late to lay eggs.  I am thinking like a human...when a baby wants to arrive it just arrives  and there is not stopping it.  Are laying eggs like that.
I know I may sound dumb but it is just a thought.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 13:13 »
Actually, Joli and Cowboy look to be very close ... too close in fact ... she was in the Radisson nestbox making a serious scrape yesterday ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2013, 12:45 »
it doesn't sound like anybody's sitting on eggs then.  Still enjoying their child-free lifestyle I guess...unless they're laying them and abandoning them... :-X

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46 »
Both birds still out an about at HSC.
Cowboy was hanging around on the Brodie rooftop at various times of the day yesterday.
Joli was on the HSC smokestack antenna most of yesterday morning and is there again this morning.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2013, 07:27 »
May 11th. confirms that Cowboy & Joli are still a pair ...new photos have been added here  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/hsc_2013

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26 »
Cowboy fledged from McKenzies in 2000 and turned up in Winnipeg in 2011 is anything known about him in the years between 2002 and 2011? Noticed on the family tree that there were 2 males and 2 females and only Cowboy was named,  was he named at the time or did you give him that name when he turned up in Winnipeg in 2011? Just for interests sake where and when was he seen in 2002?

Nope, have no idea what Cowboy was doing between 2000 and 2011 when he turned up in Winnipeg with Kate.  In 2002 his band number was read on a building outside of Brandon but he didn't stay and he wasn't seen again until here so far as we know.  None of the 2000 Brandon chicks were named, I named him in 2011 since he looked like he might be hanging around since he'd live that long.  Cowboy's older brother Keener-Screech was hatched in 1997 and turned up with Holly in 2007 and we hadn't heard anything of his activities either, nor the male who was released with Pop (our first nesting male in Manitoba) in 1986 who turned up dead in Winnipeg in 2004. 

Having said this, I have a list of these birds that I constantly check when new sightings information turns up just in case I can fill in some of the gaps, and who knows, maybe we'll be able to find out some of these guys (and yes, they are all males) have been nesting elsewhere before coming home.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23 »
The last 2 days only saw one bird at a time - I think always Cowboy on the letters.
But this morning it was Joli was sitting on the Buhler building rooftop, but father west than she usually does.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 09:36 »
Both birds are sunning themselves on the east facing letters this morning.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2013, 06:09 »
Cowboy fledged from McKenzies in 2000 and turned up in Winnipeg in 2011 is anything known about him in the years between 2002 and 2011? Noticed on the family tree that there were 2 males and 2 females and only Cowboy was named,  was he named at the time or did you give him that name when he turned up in Winnipeg in 2011? Just for interests sake where and when was he seen in 2002?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:51 by Rose »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2013, 09:12 »
That's just all the ladies in labour!
Haaa! Including our daughter! ;D Good one, bcf! ;)

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2013, 16:04 »
Lol