Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?  (Read 26174 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2012, 22:20 »
Thanks, Rose, for that explanation.  I had in mind a particular tower that had, or will have, two nest box sites!...
Yes, thanks for your explanation, Rose. :-* I, too, was thinking the same as bcbird. Now I'm starting to "get it". :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2012, 19:19 »
I think "Alice" has gone south because I checked the last two days and didn't see any falcons. Yesterday there was a Raven perched on the railing where the falcons usually sit.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2012, 22:15 »
Possibly you could simply refer to the nests as "direction" Tower Nest (ex: north Tower Nest) and "direction" Tower Nest (ex: south Tower Nest)?

We could do that, particularly since we don't yet have any other north/south nestboxes at other sites  :)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2012, 19:27 »
Thanks, Rose, for that explanation.  I had in mind a particular tower that had, or will have, two nest box sites!
Is it one building that has the roof site and the hidden wall site, or is each site on a different building?

You're welcome.Big complex and different buildings. :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2012, 19:20 »
Thanks, Rose, for that explanation.  I had in mind a particular tower that had, or will have, two nest box sites!
Is it one building that has the roof site and the hidden wall site, or is each site on a different building?

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2012, 19:20 »
Possibly you could simply refer to the nests as "direction" Tower Nest (ex: north Tower Nest) and "direction" Tower Nest (ex: south Tower Nest)?

Good plan! Plain and simple is usually always best. :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2012, 18:29 »
I just hope they return in the spring and choose at least one of the nest boxes that are or will be available to them.  :)

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2012, 18:07 »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2012, 16:22 »
How about HH for the "Hidey-Hole" nest?

Regarding the Radisson there is also differentiation between the "west nest" and the "east ledge". Since I don't know anything about this tower location in Brandon, which sides of the tower will the nests be on? Will they have a "west nest" too?
These nests are not on a tower, one nest site  is on a south building roof (put there the same day as the new nest box was put up at Mckenzies) and the other site (new box not built yet) is high up on a north wall looking out over the river.This is where the other nest box will go if it's feasible. I guess TPC called it the Tower Nest because there are dozens of towers out in the vicinity. :)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2012, 14:08 »
How about HH for the "Hidey-Hole" nest?

Regarding the Radisson there is also differentiation between the "west nest" and the "east ledge". Since I don't know anything about this tower location in Brandon, which sides of the tower will the nests be on? Will they have a "west nest" too?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 14:11 by dupre501 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2012, 22:34 »
Why not leave the name the way it is "Tower Nest" because it may cause some confusion if you change the name.  :-\  This is what it has been called for the last two years.  Calling it the Tower Nest makes it sound more professional to the readers, in my opinion.  ;)

Sorry, should have been more specific - two possible nestsites at the Tower Site - different sides of the building, both will have nestboxes eventually so since we already refer to the nestbox, thought "the hide" would be a possible way to identify one box from the other.  We do refer to the nestbox and nestledge at the Radisson, the wall-box and the roof-box at McKenzie Seeds and the nestbox and Jules'-horredously-poor-choice-for-a-nest in West Winnipeg.  No worries folks, we'll just refer to them as nestbox one and nestbox two and hope that the birds choose one site or another   ;) ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2012, 22:27 »
How about the "hidey-hole" at the Tower Nest? ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2012, 17:57 »
Why not leave the name the way it is "Tower Nest" because it may cause some confusion if you change the name.  :-\  This is what it has been called for the last two years.  Calling it the Tower Nest makes it sound more professional to the readers, in my opinion.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 18:03 by RCF »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2012, 23:37 »
I like the "hide" as a name.

Neat, short and, in a completely random, unrelated association, it reminds me of a good name for a pub.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2012, 21:34 »
Why not just continue calling it the hidey-hole...seems fitting to me!  But, that is just an opinion.

We definitely can, just a bit of a mouthful, but you are right Alli, it does work  :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2012, 20:17 »
We went by the Tower site to put the nestbox to sleep and to get some detailled measurements for a nestbox - will be one of our more complex boxes but it's going to be neat to design!  Before we went up to do work we went around looking for either of the resident pair and didn't seen anything.  As we were unloading our equipment, lo and behold, up popped one of the birds.   Despite the presence of Wowser and Dennis' excellent eye, we couldn't get a good look at the bird's leg, though we could see bands on both.  Leaving Wowzer downstairs we included Wanna-Be-Wowzer in with the rest of our gear (Wowzer is very heavy) and we headed up.  Knowing where the bird was we carefully exited onto the roof so as not spook it - we didn't have to worry, the bird had moved into the sun and didn't so much as twitch when we appeared.  Dennis managed to get more photos but it looks like it wasn't until we had finished our work and Dennis was photographing again and then the bird decided to leave and he managed to get most of the band ... and from what I can see of the band, I have little doubt it's Alice - whoo hoo!  That's two years in a row, one with Zeus and one without so as long as she survives the winter and returns, she'll likely be back to the Tower site - and then hopefully she'll have not only a choice of mates but also two nestboxes to chose from.  And yes, someone figured out what the nestbox was for - nice sized scrape right where I'd expect to see one.  Given the amount of time she spent over at the hidey-hold, finding gravel there next year, I don't think she'll have any problem figuring out what its for. 

All in all, a great way to spend our last visit to the Tower site for 2012!

Not sure what to call the hidey-hole - how about the "hide"? It makes me think of the hides biologists use to watch wildlife - and if they nest there, it will definitely "hide" the peregrines from potential predators and bad weather.  Comments?
Why not just continue calling it the hidey-hole...seems fitting to me!  But, that is just an opinion.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2012, 15:06 »
We were there around 11am and didn't see any falcons.  Glad that you saw "Alice" and she is still there!  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2012, 14:44 »
We went by the Tower site to put the nestbox to sleep and to get some detailled measurements for a nestbox - will be one of our more complex boxes but it's going to be neat to design!  Before we went up to do work we went around looking for either of the resident pair and didn't seen anything.  As we were unloading our equipment, lo and behold, up popped one of the birds.   Despite the presence of Wowser and Dennis' excellent eye, we couldn't get a good look at the bird's leg, though we could see bands on both.  Leaving Wowzer downstairs we included Wanna-Be-Wowzer in with the rest of our gear (Wowzer is very heavy) and we headed up.  Knowing where the bird was we carefully exited onto the roof so as not spook it - we didn't have to worry, the bird had moved into the sun and didn't so much as twitch when we appeared.  Dennis managed to get more photos but it looks like it wasn't until we had finished our work and Dennis was photographing again and then the bird decided to leave and he managed to get most of the band ... and from what I can see of the band, I have little doubt it's Alice - whoo hoo!  That's two years in a row, one with Zeus and one without so as long as she survives the winter and returns, she'll likely be back to the Tower site - and then hopefully she'll have not only a choice of mates but also two nestboxes to chose from.  And yes, someone figured out what the nestbox was for - nice sized scrape right where I'd expect to see one.  Given the amount of time she spent over at the hidey-hold, finding gravel there next year, I don't think she'll have any problem figuring out what its for. 

All in all, a great way to spend our last visit to the Tower site for 2012!

Not sure what to call the hidey-hole - how about the "hide"? It makes me think of the hides biologists use to watch wildlife - and if they nest there, it will definitely "hide" the peregrines from potential predators and bad weather.  Comments?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2012, 19:04 »
Well, the Tower birdie is still here.  :)   She was on the north side of the building perched in the cubby hole.......her favorite spot.   8)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2012, 12:23 »
I checked here a couple of times this week and haven't seen a falcon.  They could be gone but I will check again this week.  One of them was here until September 28th last year.  :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2012, 22:48 »
Great spottin' RCF!!! 

Guess we all have to be prepared and accept that the birds are on the move... until next year!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2012, 21:44 »
I checked this evening and there is still one falcon at the tower. The light was already fading at 7:15pm (sigh) but I am pretty sure it was the female I saw.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2012, 17:51 »
We only saw the one falcon today, we are pretty sure it was the female because of the colour on her front. She was out of the wind on the south side of the tower that has the raven's nest.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2012, 22:31 »
Nice catch with the band RCF - and yes, it definitely could be Alice!  She looks alot less brown than last year and the year before but that could be that the lighting around her as you got her photo.   

And I'm glad you were able to get the picture of her sitting there like that - its been hard to gauge the size of the hidey-hole in relation to a peregrine - particularly an adult female.  And if this is Alice (and I think it probably is in the absence of being able to confirm her band number), correct foot and she does have a dark rusty coloured wash late in the season which extends up into her cheek patch - which is just like this bird and isn't like that for all birds.  If it is Alice, she's a big female and from your photo she would have no problem accessing the hidey-hole if we add a "box" with space below for water drainage and a couple of inches of gravel.

Good catch!  :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2012, 21:36 »
Nice to hear they're still around. :)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2012, 16:08 »
I was at the Tower site again today and I saw both falcons. One was in the cubby hole on the north side of the building. I actually managed to get band colours and I am inclined to think it is Alice since she was here last year and her band colours are black over red on the left leg. The other one who has a very white breast was perched on one of the towers so probably the male. 

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2012, 17:42 »
We only saw the one falcon today, he/she was perched in the little cubby hole on the north side of the building.  I think this is the hidey-hole TPC is talking about tweaking.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2012, 19:06 »
maybe chicks next year??? a box perhaps

TPC and company installed a box last fall, the falcons never used it as far as I know.  :-\

RCF is right, there is a box not far from where they nested (unsuccessfully) in 2011.  Going to try tweaking their newest little hidey-hole on the side of the building too - they have been so interested in the spot this year, its worth finding a way to make it a little safer for any future eggs/chicks.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2012, 17:56 »

TPC and company installed a box last fall, the falcons never used it as far as I know.  :-\

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2012, 12:36 »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2012, 15:03 »
There are still two falcons out at the Tower site. Today we saw one perched on the smokestack catwalk railing and one flying.  :)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 15:25 by RCF »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2012, 15:55 »
Rose and I saw two falcons yesterday, one was sitting in/on the edge of the raven's nest, then the other one flew in briefly and then went and perched on a lower building. I checked today and only saw the one falcon who flew to the south with a very small bird chasing and dive bombing it.

Yesterday

Today

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2012, 21:38 »
Great spottin' RCF!!!  Who is that visitor??

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2012, 16:38 »
There was a falcon on the lower catwalk on the north tower today and I didn't see anybody in the cubby hole. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2012, 11:19 »
I saw one falcon yesterday hanging out in the cubby hole on the north side.  :)

They (or at least this bird/birds) do seem to like that spot, so we are going to look at tweaking it before next spring ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2012, 18:36 »
I saw one falcon yesterday hanging out in the cubby hole on the north side.  :)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2012, 09:37 »
Thank you for the info, TPC!  It did appear more like a drainage of some sort, but after zooming in still wasn't sure. Still wondering if it is just a water drain or what, just in case they bite into it.

Sorry I don't quite understand, but what is the concern there when a parent leaves the eggs? Could you possibly mean predators in the area, or is it that the eggs need some stones or a higher edge perhaps?

Also, IF you do want them to nest there, wouldn't you want to prepare the opening with a stone base before they return next year, so they can make a scrape.

The adults have their feet under the eggs and on a flat surface when they pull their feet out from under, the eggs roll into the sides, back or off the edge.  That is one of the reasons they build bowl-shaped scrapes in whatever material is on their chosen ledge.  We are looking at a modified tray that would let us add gravel and have drainage and still be big enough for the peregrines to get in and out of and for up to 4 growing chicks.  We have ideas that we hope to flesh out in the next couple of months so that we can have something in place before next spring.

That is so exciting to hear, TPC.  Another nest in Manitoba would be marvelous!   :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2012, 23:41 »
Thank you for the info, TPC!  It did appear more like a drainage of some sort, but after zooming in still wasn't sure. Still wondering if it is just a water drain or what, just in case they bite into it.

Sorry I don't quite understand, but what is the concern there when a parent leaves the eggs? Could you possibly mean predators in the area, or is it that the eggs need some stones or a higher edge perhaps?

Also, IF you do want them to nest there, wouldn't you want to prepare the opening with a stone base before they return next year, so they can make a scrape.

The adults have their feet under the eggs and on a flat surface when they pull their feet out from under, the eggs roll into the sides, back or off the edge.  That is one of the reasons they build bowl-shaped scrapes in whatever material is on their chosen ledge.  We are looking at a modified tray that would let us add gravel and have drainage and still be big enough for the peregrines to get in and out of and for up to 4 growing chicks.  We have ideas that we hope to flesh out in the next couple of months so that we can have something in place before next spring.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2012, 22:41 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2012, 21:19 »
Thank you for sharing these very interesting photos RCF!  8)

The “opening in the wall that cables are coming out” reminded me of a similar size opening in a wall which is successfully occupied by the Niagara Falls falcons.  ;)

Do you happen to know what kind of cable is running through this opening? I find it difficult to tell from a pic, especially without being able to see what the cable actually leads to. Perhaps electrical, or possibly a drain of some kind?  Just curious if this cable may cause any problems should they decide to nest there.  ???

Its not a cable it's a drainage tube.  As for problems, the opening as it is is more of a problem, there is now protection for the eggs when an adult "leaves".  We've already thought of ways we can upgrade it a bit if they are interested again next year.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2012, 00:24 »
Thank you for sharing these very interesting photos RCF!  8)

The “opening in the wall that cables are coming out” reminded me of a similar size opening in a wall which is successfully occupied by the Niagara Falls falcons.  ;)

Do you happen to know what kind of cable is running through this opening? I find it difficult to tell from a pic, especially without being able to see what the cable actually leads to. Perhaps electrical, or possibly a drain of some kind?  Just curious if this cable may cause any problems should they decide to nest there.  ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2012, 22:18 »
When I was in Brandon this evening I checked on these two.  I only saw the one and there was no one in the opening on the north side.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2012, 16:11 »
I hope they are just "playing house" and next year they will be ready for a family! It seems so late to be thinking about getting broody.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2012, 08:33 »
I went back around lunch time today and there were two falcons, each on a different tower.  One of them flew to the north and went into an opening in the wall that cables are coming out, sat and preened then lay down.

Of the "openings" they chose, that one from our perspective is the best one they could have chosen  ;)
No idea if they are going to nest, or just trying to find cool places to hideout in this heat - the bottom of that opening is metal so it would be cooler ...

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2012, 21:43 »
Very interesting   8)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2012, 15:31 »
I went back around lunch time today and there were two falcons, each on a different tower.  One of them flew to the north and went into an opening in the wall that cables are coming out, sat and preened then lay down.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 10:30 »
This morning (9:30) I saw a falcon in the same place as I did on June 27th.  I saw it fly in and land.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2012, 17:09 »
Well whaddya know. I spotted a peregrine back at the West West Winnipeg spot last night (June 28) at about 7:00 p.m.. S/he was just standing in her/his favoured lookout surveying the world.

If this is the same bird, s/he's sure logging a lot of miles.

Funny how that is,  TPC and Dennis said they didn't see any falcons at the tower yesterday morning. 

It was brutally windy out there yesterday so we weren't all the optimistic of seeing them yesterday though we did try.  Hard to keep binoculars steady and certainly couldn't use Wowzer or the spotting scopes we brought with us.  That much wind we thought the birds would probably tuck down somewhere so we tried to check out every sheltered spot we could find, but no luck.  The keep getting spotted near the raven's nest and if they do have eggs and are incubating, we figured whoever was "on duty" would be flat down in the nest which again would make them impossible to see.  Not sure they will nest as it is so very late in the year - if they were incubating now, their chicks wouldn't fledge until mid-September would make it tough for them come migration.  But you can never be sure so we'll keep looking and watching.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2012, 09:26 »
Well whaddya know. I spotted a peregrine back at the West West Winnipeg spot last night (June 28) at about 7:00 p.m.. S/he was just standing in her/his favoured lookout surveying the world.

Funny how that is,  TPC and Dennis said they didn't see any falcons at the tower yesterday morning. 

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2012, 09:21 »

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2012, 20:56 »
We didn't see any falcons from the west side and almost didn't spot the birdie from the south side, the one falcon was perched up on the same catwalk facing into the west wind and could see her/his breast feathers blowing.   

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2012, 16:24 »
Checked out here today and saw just the one falcon looking like a sentinel on the catwalk railing where the ravens had nested.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2012, 22:31 »
...If they do nest this late, say eggs by the end of the first week in July, hatch end of first week in August and fledging in September ... don't know whether to hope they do nest or they don't ...
Would this be a problem, to nest this late in the season? ???

Could be.  Might not be.  Last year they laid late and would have been fine except the site was predated (owls probably), but that wasn't related to the time of the year.  The concern will be that the chicks need to be hunting on their own by the time they have to start migrating, but given our autumns over the last decade, we aren't getting very cold very early anymore.  We'll just have to see what happens.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2012, 22:27 »
...If they do nest this late, say eggs by the end of the first week in July, hatch end of first week in August and fledging in September ... don't know whether to hope they do nest or they don't ...
Would this be a problem, to nest this late in the season? ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2012, 15:20 »
I never did think this bird was Zeus even back in May.  It just seems to me that he is bigger teircel than Zeus, even from that distance.  I do think it is the same male that was here in May though, but I guess we'll never know without having band numbers.  :-\

Scrolling back through your photos RCF, the male looks like the bird you photographed on June 15th, but not sure he looks like the male you spotted in early May ...

It was very bright that day and everything looked white even the raven's nest. We had no idea if it was male or female and refered to it as he/she, it was hard to tell being so bright.  My guess is that it is the same male that we have been seeing all along.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28 »
I never did think this bird was Zeus even back in May.  It just seems to me that he is bigger teircel than Zeus, even from that distance.  I do think it is the same male that was here in May though, but I guess we'll never know without having band numbers.  :-\

Scrolling back through your photos RCF, the male looks like the bird you photographed on June 15th, but not sure he looks like the male you spotted in early May ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2012, 08:45 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2012, 02:44 »
Just had a look at some Zeus facial markings and I'm inclined to think it is not Zeus at least from the nice clear shot of the male's head in RCF's photo - the cheek patch is so perfectly rounded with clear margins, Zeus has a little "bobble" along the trailing edge on the right side of face ... could be wrong, would like to see him back ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2012, 02:38 »
Both

Great photos but will have to look closer at the male to hazard even a tenuous guess, particularly since Zeus would be 17 years old which is more than senior citizen for a peregrine, so more likely its a new bird, but he looks nice.  The female however, she has alot of brown showing, which was Alice's calling card last year ....

If they do nest this late, say eggs by the end of the first week in July, hatch end of first week in August and fledging in September ... don't know whether to hope they do nest or they don't ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2012, 22:11 »
Does this pair resemble the pair that we saw on May 5th?

Link to pics I took May 5th
http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3047.msg84661.html#msg84661

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2012, 22:01 »
I went back this evening just to see if there would be two falcons come home for the night. Sure enough there were two falcons.  ;D

Female

Male

Both

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 18:56 »
We only saw the one falcon here today and the four pictures I posted are of the same bird.   :)

Amazing how much that additional bit of stretch changes the facial markings - good thing the little darlings have leg bands!!  ;)

That's for sure!!  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 18:52 »
We only saw the one falcon here today and the four pictures I posted are of the same bird.   :)

Amazing how much that additional bit of stretch changes the facial markings - good thing the little darlings have leg bands!!  ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 18:47 »

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 18:40 »
And I assummed on the first print the bird is looking off to its right and on the second print the bird is looking off to its left.  Therefore I thought for sure it was the same bird.  Shows what I know :P

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 18:05 »

Even with the slightly different distance on these two photos, I'm pretty darn sure those are not the same bird - facial pattern on the left side of the head (the bird's left) - white cheek patch looks larger on the bird in the photo on the right ...

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 16:30 »
 8)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 16:20 »
I had checked out here on Saturday and Sunday and didn't see a falcon, but today Rose and I went around noon and we saw one falcon.  The falcon looked like it was the same one we saw last week. We also saw and talked to Dan and a co-worker from Manitoba Conservation and said they were checking the tower on their way back from Shilo.  8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2012, 00:56 »

...If the bird is seriously considering the raven's nest, it might have felt it needed to try to make a scrape nearby or, or, or ...
I'm a bit confused now, TPC. I thought that North American peregrine falcons only nested on the side of rock cliffs or in cities in man made nest boxes with gravel. Would a peregrine falcon actually consider taking over a raven's nest? I thought only Merlins would do that. :-\

Ravens like some of the same human-made structures that peregrines like - towers are one of them, there are lots of birds in the US that nest on all sorts of towers.  When Zeus and Alice decided on the Tower Site, the only place they could lay their eggs safely was in the raven's nest.  And I should mention (though I think RCF might have mentioned it sometime earlier) these nests are not small - last year's nest was about the size of the McKenzie Seeds nestbox and more flat than nest-like (bowl shaped).  In this case the catwalk was like a cliff, the raven's nest the only spot with a solid surface on which to lay an egg.  So that's where they nested. 

At the University of Manitoba one year a pair tried to nest in a rain gutter and on the Hotel Fort Garry and at the Provincial Legislature, Abby and Garry used pigeon feces instead of pebbles to keep their eggs from rolling off the ledge.  They were successful but never returned at the Leg, but spectacularly unsuccessful at the Hotel Fort Garry.  In both cases they were too stress being so close to the Radisson Pair (T-Rex and Madame - both highly territorial birds). 

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2012, 22:07 »

...If the bird is seriously considering the raven's nest, it might have felt it needed to try to make a scrape nearby or, or, or ...
I'm a bit confused now, TPC. I thought that North American peregrine falcons only nested on the side of rock cliffs or in cities in man made nest boxes with gravel. Would a peregrine falcon actually consider taking over a raven's nest? I thought only Merlins would do that. :-\

Zeus and Alice nested on a lower catwalk last year and the falcon I saw today wasn't in the raven's nest, it was lying down beside it. I don't think it was going to take over the raven's nest, and like TPC said, the falcon may have just been trying to stay cool and not trying to nest.

The falcons that nested in trees in Poland, was I believe, adaptation to their surroundings.  If there are no cliffs then they would probably find the best suitable high point, which was a tree.  

Link to reply from TPC about the Poland falcons adapting to their enviroment.
http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,3232.msg86241.html#msg86241
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 22:40 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2012, 20:53 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2012, 18:51 »
Rose and I saw one peregrine this morning (11am) on the catwalk that the raven had nested on, he/she sat up there preening for a while. We were very surprised when the birdie lay down on the catwalk just beside the raven's nest.  I just found it interesting that the falcon would lay down in the hot sun on the catwalk.  We left to check on the McKenzie birds and then went back to the tower an hour later.  At first we didn't see the bird on the catwalk and then he/she stood up and we could see that he/she was in the same spot as when we left an hour earlier.  Could she/he have eggs up there?
 ???

No eggs, not enough time unless it is the same pair that were there earlier in the spring which seems unlikely - being away for so long and then reappearing to lay eggs in a spot they weren't really considering the first time they went by.  As for lying on the catwalk, they won't lay eggs on the catwalk so could be the bird was just trying to stay cool - I've seen younger birds lie down on their bellies to keep cool.  Or might have been a bird seeing if the catwalk was the place to "scrape" - should only take one try to realize it isn't.  If the bird is seriously considering the raven's nest, it might have felt it needed to try to make a scrape nearby or, or, or ... If you see the bird doing it alot, we might be able to better narrow down the behavioural possibilities.  Sorry I can't give yo ua clear answer ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2012, 15:59 »
Rose and I saw one peregrine this morning (11am) on the catwalk that the raven had nested on, he/she sat up there preening for a while. We were very surprised when the birdie lay down on the catwalk just beside the raven's nest.  I just found it interesting that the falcon would lay down in the hot sun on the catwalk.  We left to check on the McKenzie birds and then went back to the tower an hour later.  At first we didn't see the bird on the catwalk and then he/she stood up and we could see that he/she was in the same spot as when we left an hour earlier.  Could she/he have eggs up there?

???

Laying down

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 16:11 by RCF »

Offline maryann

• Falcon Fan
  • Egg
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 09:28 »

For what it's worth, I haven't seen anybody at the west, west Winnipeg location since May 31, 2012.

I reported seeing a kill last Friday and on my way to work this morning they were enjoying good hunting yet again.  :D
Oops...just rereading posts and with all the back and forth re: Brandon and west, west Wpg. I got confused -- what I saw was west Winnipeg - sorry!  :-\
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:34 by maryann »

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2012, 20:24 »
Yay!!!! This is great news!  Can hardly wait to hear who/what is spotted.   8)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2012, 15:38 »
Didn't see anybody today, but it could be time of day.  It's also a great day for riding the thermals.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2012, 14:41 »
Not even waiting for the banding, got some local birders going out to check when they can so that RCF and Rose get some additional "eyes" to help figure out who and what and where.  When we are there for the banding, we will definitely be checking it out though :)  Will probably even have Wowser with us (*yippeeeeeeee*)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2012, 12:59 »
I think I saw two falcons at the tower today... 

That's wonderful, RCF! :D Maybe TPC & Dennis can do a bit more sleuthing when they come out to band the McKenzie Seed chicks.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 12:36 »
Ooh exciting!

For what it's worth, I haven't seen anybody at the west, west Winnipeg location since May 31, 2012.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02 »
 I agree it looks like 2 .........here's hoping! My hubby and I checked it out last week and no luck at all. 

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 17:52 »
I think I saw two falcons at the tower today.  The falcons in the pics kind of look different, it's so hard to tell from that distance . :-\

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2012, 16:54 »
Ellie, I was confused too.
Though it was Cooper I was wondering about, as she seemed to be in Winnipeg one day and Brandon the next.  Now I get it!

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 15:48 »
Thanks to both RCF and Cooper!  Now I understand what is happening.  Sure was in a fog for awhile, lol!

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 09:57 »
Sorry but I am confused.  Are we talking the Tower nest in Brandon or West, West somewhere here in Wpg?

Oh Ellie, I am very sorry. The bird that I have been talking about is the peregrine spotted in Winnipeg (out farther west in the city than Beau and Jules' nest).

Given that this thread is devoted to the Brandon Tower sightings, I probably should not have posted Winnipeg sightings here. It's just that, like RCF, I'm thinking that it may be the same bird flying back and forth. It just seems too coincidental to me that when I don't see the bird in Winnipeg a similar looking bird is spotted in Brandon.

Please chalk it up to my over enthusiasm. (I'm sure I'm not the only one guilty of that!)  ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 21:30 »
Maybe the birdie we have been seeing in Brandon and seeing in Winnipeg is the same one, maybe she is traveling back and forth to both locations.  We will really never know for sure unless band numbers are confirmed.  :-\  ???    This is just what I think. 

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 20:12 »
Sorry but I am confused.  Are we talking the Tower nest in Brandon or West, West somewhere here in Wpg?

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 20:05 »
Yes, I'm talking about west, west. I was not close enough to identify the bird as Alice. But, the bird I saw was not a small bird, and she/he did seem darker in colouration than Alice. Mind you, this year except for a few occasions, it's been a head-on standing or under flight chest view that I've seen of Alice and not the bird in flight, from a distance, I saw on Thursday.

Offline BigBird

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 16:13 »
Well, a little update:
Large peregrine (wouldn't swear it was the same one) was back at the west west haunt last night (May 31). I watched her/him for about 10 minutes at around 8:00 p.m.

He/she was behaving rather curiously in my opinion. She kept circling low over the building, kept landing (or trying to) on an odd part of the building only to immediately take off. He/She would fly almost up to her usually perch, yet not land there (almost as if she couldn't quite make it) and let herself fall away, only to do the same thing again. Maybe it was someone new looking Alice?

Are you talking about WestWest Winnipeg?? Yesterday was the first time in over a week I've seen anyone there... flew right passed my balcony and behind my building... too small to be Alice

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 16:04 »
Ooh, the plot thickens!   :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 15:37 »
I was far away but I saw what looked like a peregrine at the Tower today.  :)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 09:03 »
Well, a little update:
Large peregrine (wouldn't swear it was the same one) was back at the west west haunt last night (May 31). I watched her/him for about 10 minutes at around 8:00 p.m.

He/she was behaving rather curiously in my opinion. She kept circling low over the building, kept landing (or trying to) on an odd part of the building only to immediately take off. He/She would fly almost up to her usually perch, yet not land there (almost as if she couldn't quite make it) and let herself fall away, only to do the same thing again. Maybe it was someone new looking Alice?

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 10:57 »
I should correct myself, it was actually Saturday the 19th the last time I saw her. Definitely her in her hugeness - looked like a sphinx guarding her building! The day before I saw her on the same building with ANOTHER bird! I was so excited (although I could not say for certain that it was a peregrine due to the angle of my view, but I figured there'd be no way she let another bird sit on the same building). Then as I say I saw her on Saturday and haven't seen her since. I was rather hoping that it was because she and the other fellow had gone off to nest/incubate at some place hidden from my view. I guess not now, but maybe that other fellow is in Brandon with her...hope, hope.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 08:49 »
Hmmmm, very interesting. Is it Alice, do you think? Coincidentally, I have not seen the bird (who may or may not have been Alice) at her west west Winnipeg haunts since May 20. Prior to that I'd seen her everyday, sometimes several times a day.

That's I believe anyone's last sighting of her Cooper.  Dan in Brandon spotted a bird a couple of days later hunting along the river but no way to be able to tell if it was her or one of a number of other birds (tundra and anatum) going through the area at the time (there was a bit of a wave).  The question was, will a bird come back to the site, or rather will a bird or birds come back to the site and stay at the site.  First pair didn't, now we have a bird who needs a "main squeeze" and then hopefully nature will take its course with more success than last year.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 08:42 »
Hmmmm, very interesting. Is it Alice, do you think? Coincidentally, I have not seen the bird (who may or may not have been Alice) at her west west Winnipeg haunts since May 20. Prior to that I'd seen her everyday, sometimes several times a day.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 20:42 »
A falcon in the Tower Nest vicinity! :o That's great news, RCF! Must mean there is another one around - right? :-\

I don't know if there is another falcon in the vicinity, we only saw the one at the Tower.  She, because it was a bigger bird, sat and preened on the railing the whole time we were there.  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 20:16 »
A falcon in the Tower Nest vicinity! :o That's great news, RCF! Must mean there is another one around - right? :-\

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 16:45 »
Rose and I went to replace her marigolds that the cutworm ate today and we were in the vicinity of the tower, so we went and looked. We only saw the one falcon in the forty minutes we were there.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 15:21 »
RCF & Rose may have some news a bit later ...  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 15:09 »
Any more news about these birds? Are they still in the territory? ???

Nope, the pair that was there having pitched battles with the ravens nesting there appear to have headed out to parts unknown.  No one ever got close enough to be able to identify exactly who they were but RCF got the closest and from what I've seen, she's quite right that the male was not Zeus and because we had reports of a large female out beyond West Winnipeg, the female wasn't Alice either.  Looking at last year's dates however, Alice arrived in Winnipeg about this same time last year and then left for Brandon after a couple/three weeks.  We may stop seeing this large female in WWW and she might (if she is Alice) turn up shortly at the Tower site.  Stranger things have happened.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 13:30 »
Any more news about these birds? Are they still in the territory? ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 21:15 »
Wow that is just a longggg ways off and no chance to get a ID from that distance...sure is nice to see the birds. Thanks a bunch for your photos and up-dates RCF...great stuff  ;)

No, that's for sure no ID from me!!  What I need is a WOWSER and a block closer!!  ;D   I think the male is new and not Zeus from last year, he seems to be a bigger tiercel.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 21:06 »
Wow that is just a longggg ways off and no chance to get a ID from that distance...sure is nice to see the birds. Thanks a bunch for your photos and up-dates RCF...great stuff  ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 20:56 »
I went and checked on the pair of falcons out here this evening.

Female

Male
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 21:02 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 21:51 »
So happy to hear of this pair settling in Brandon.  Wish I was there to keep an eye on them also.  Mebbe a trip home is in order?  ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 21:20 »
Oh wow, that's awesome, to hear that another pair has arrived back! :D I was beginning to think they mightn't make it, at this late date. Oh me, of little faith. ::) :-[

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 14:43 »
10:40 am
For some reason I decided to take a trip out to the Tower nest this morning. I asked Rose if she would like to join me and I'm glad she did because she spotted the falcon right away.  :-*  The falcon was perched on a camera support beam on the southwest corner. By the size of the bird we figured it was female and she sat up there for 30 minutes.  She flew down onto the roof and disappeared, so we went to the north side and that's where we saw two falcons. One was at the northeast corner of the building where I believe TPC put the nest box and the other one was about 20 feet away on the edge of the roof.  They both flew to the south and we followed them, she was perched on the southeast corner when he flew over to her.  :-X ;D

Female                                                                     Male

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 15:04 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 13:11 »
How exciting is that?!?  It would be so great to have another nest in Brandon!  Of course, then Rose and rcf will have to give up sleeping for a few months  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 18:35 by susha »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 13:04 »
Dan just called and we have a pair back as of today!  Considering the location, it is probably Alice and likely Zeus but he will be 17 this year, so its possible that its a new male.  We are working on getting band numbers and we will have to see if the pair likes the condo we have provided for them.

More news as we get it!
Well I can tell you that the male is very active and the female is very accomodating. ::)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 13:07 by Rose »

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 12:25 »
Great news :D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 12:20 »
Woo hoo! ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 11:06 »
Dan just called and we have a pair back as of today!  Considering the location, it is probably Alice and likely Zeus but he will be 17 this year, so its possible that its a new male.  We are working on getting band numbers and we will have to see if the pair likes the condo we have provided for them.

More news as we get it!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 11:06 »
Nice timing if the peregrines do come back to this site this year ... the raven chicks may be ready to fledge by the time the peregrines are ready to lay eggs ...

BTW - on the 20th, 3 peregrines were reported migrating through Windygates.  No way to know if they include Alice and/or Zeus but it does mean that there are still anatum peregrines still moving as it looks like the tundra peregrines are just beginning to work their way north.  According to the two tundra birds with transmitters I keep an eye on - IG crossed out of Chile into Peru on Friday and Felipe crossed over into Peru yesterday.  IG nests on Baffin Island, don't know where Felipe nests as transmitters are fitted on their wintering grounds in Chile.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 09:19 »
I was at the tower nest yesterday and all I saw were gulls, pigeons and a pair of Ravens nesting on one of the catwalks. I could see there was a lot of poop art on the backside of the tower wall.  After I checked my pics I could see they have some little ones.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 12:52 »
We checked the Tower site last night in the rain before leaving Brandon and only a crow was in residence - perhaps the McKenzie Seeds crow?  Who knows but that was the only bird we could see when we were there.  We check out the site for camera angles etc at the nestbox so if someone does turn up we have a plan in place already.  And no, there hasn't been any disturbance in the nestbox - and the box looks great after its first winter in place.  There is some pooling of water on the roof in spots but the bottom of the box is raised up above the roof a bit and then there is 3-5 inches of gravel so if this box is used, no one is going to have problems here!

The folks at this site are keeping an eye out for the falcons (they are big fans of the falcons) and RCF and Rose have been great at spotting who's home pretty much as soon as their home, so if/when someone does turn up here, well, we should hear about it almost immediately I expect!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 18:45 »
I'll keep checking for them.   :)   It would be awesome if Zeus did show up again this year and Alice too! 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 16:30 »
I have been checking the towers a couple of times a week and I haven't seen another falcon since March 30th.  :(

Its still early-ish days, so we can wait.  And even if Alice returns alone and hangs out there alone this summer, it will still be hopeful news for next year as she would likely return and get another chance at attracting a mate.  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for this year though - Zeus didn't turn up in Winnipeg right away - at 17 years of age, he might just be a wee bit more leisurely in his progress home ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 16:03 »
I have been checking the towers a couple of times a week and I haven't seen another falcon since March 30th.  :(

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 12:01 »
Thanks for the pictures RCF. And glad to see that at least one falcon is back.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 08:41 »

Might have been a red-tailed hawk, apparently they did used to have a nest in the woodlands nearby for a few years.  Or it could have been one of a number of other hawks, the area is prime for hunting easy prey (gulls) and the raptors are starting to come home.  Since she's back fast (and end of March is fast enough), chances are other raptors won't get a chance to nest in the area if she sticks to her "guns" and her nestbox.  But we will just have to see - if it is Alice, she lost chicks here most likely to predation so she may have very little tolerance for invaders and maybe it will mean she will choose a more defendable (ie nestbox) location.

The nest box is definitely the best location, now we just have to wait for a suitor to show up for her.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 22:36 »
Before I saw her perched on the corner of the building, I saw a raptor of some sort flying around the towers with some thing in its beak, which it dropped and tried to retrieve. Looking through the binos it didn't look like a falcon to me. There were lots of gulls around too, but it wasn't a gull.   :-\

Might have been a red-tailed hawk, apparently they did used to have a nest in the woodlands nearby for a few years.  Or it could have been one of a number of other hawks, the area is prime for hunting easy prey (gulls) and the raptors are starting to come home.  Since she's back fast (and end of March is fast enough), chances are other raptors won't get a chance to nest in the area if she sticks to her "guns" and her nestbox.  But we will just have to see - if it is Alice, she lost chicks here most likely to predation so she may have very little tolerance for invaders and maybe it will mean she will choose a more defendable (ie nestbox) location.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 19:17 »
Before I saw her perched on the corner of the building, I saw a raptor of some sort flying around the towers with some thing in its beak, which it dropped and tried to retrieve. Looking through the binos it didn't look like a falcon to me. There were lots of gulls around too, but it wasn't a gull.   :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 19:11 »
That's what I thought too,  because she seemed bigger than Hurricane even with the distance I was at.

Can't tell you the number of times Dennis and I thought she was a red-tailed hawk  :o because of her size, even though she was always on the same couple of buildings here in Winnipeg!  :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 19:06 »
RCF when you saw the bird, did it look more grey or more brown?  Alice was very very brown last year, no grey at all.  The cheekpatch looks too small for it to be Zeus so maybe your Tower bird is Hurricane checking out the new digs.  Also, Alice is a big bird.  In comparison with Hurricane, she's a very big bird.

She looked more brown than grey.

That would be an excellent sign that Alice may have returned!

That's what I thought too,  because she seemed bigger than Hurricane even with the distance I was at.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 19:05 »
The excitement builds in Brandon! ;D ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 19:03 »
RCF when you saw the bird, did it look more grey or more brown?  Alice was very very brown last year, no grey at all.  The cheekpatch looks too small for it to be Zeus so maybe your Tower bird is Hurricane checking out the new digs.  Also, Alice is a big bird.  In comparison with Hurricane, she's a very big bird.

That would be an excellent sign that Alice may have returned!

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 18:59 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 18:57 »

It took me a minute to figure out what direction you were looking from but once I figured it out (thank heavens for ladders) I realized where she's sitting.  Now if she would just wander over to the other side, she could see the where we put the new nestbox .... (fingers crossed)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 15:17 »
There is a falcon back at the Tower on the northwest corner of the building today. I am  pretty sure it's a female. I only saw one falcon and lots of gulls, so there is lots to eat. ;D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Tower Nest - 2012 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 18:28 »
It looks like a raven has made a nest on one of the towers. The raven is laying down on the catwalk.  

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 18:40 by Rapidcitymbfan »