Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2011 / Beau & Jules  (Read 85610 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
West Winnipeg - 2011 / August
« Reply #559 on: August 01, 2011, 09:20 »
A number of new photos have been added to the West Winnipeg Gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_wpg_2011

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2011 / August
« Reply #558 on: August 01, 2011, 04:32 »
TPC, I have been wondering, if there is no construction at Beau and Jules' old nestsite, is there a possibility they may nest there next year?  ???
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:35 by gemcitygemini »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2011 / July
« Reply #557 on: July 30, 2011, 20:39 »
The genesse pair ,each had tracking devices on , but she got rid of hers.
What do you mean, bev? Do you mean she removed it herself? :-\

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #556 on: July 30, 2011, 20:36 »
The genesse pair ,each had tracking devices on , but she got rid of hers.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #555 on: July 29, 2011, 22:36 »
8) Tracey, an interesting question.  Have Beau and Jules been looking for lil' Polo?  I could hear one of them calling when I was down at Polo Park for dinner.   ???

Actually, not as much as I worried they might.  Could be because they were there with Dennis and I when Polo died.  They have been at the nestsite but only occasionally have they visited the nestbox, which is interesting as this is where Polo spent most of the day out of the sun and where they usually found him.  What is a good sign is that Beau has been more successful in his efforts/desire to pair-bond with Jules than Ivy has been (so far) with Princess.  And by good, I mean positive and hopeful.  Jules and Beau have had a hugely stressful year this year, much worse than any of our other pairs ever.  It is a hopeful sign to see them interacting like this and that they will have time to recover before heading off on migration in the fall.
Good news!  Love to know that they are pair bonding!  Keeps that "falcon romance" alive! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #554 on: July 29, 2011, 20:13 »
Hard to know, getting one band number on migration is a rare event, getting two is not something I've ever gotten I'm afraid.  But its possible someone, somewhere has.
Well, I suppose the only way to know for sure, would be with tracking devices as are on Rain & Rosser in Brandon. But I don't imagine there have ever been adult pairs, each with a tracking device on. Now that would certainly make for an interesting study, I would think.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #553 on: July 29, 2011, 20:05 »
...It is a hopeful sign to see them interacting like this and that they will have time to recover before heading off on migration in the fall.
I am relieved and very glad to hear this. I was worried that they may become discouraged and give up on each other. Do pairs ever remain together during the migration period, TPC?

Hard to know, getting one band number on migration is a rare event, getting two is not something I've ever gotten I'm afraid.  But its possible someone, somewhere has.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #552 on: July 29, 2011, 20:04 »
...It is a hopeful sign to see them interacting like this and that they will have time to recover before heading off on migration in the fall.
I am relieved and very glad to hear this. I was worried that they may become discouraged and give up on each other. Do pairs ever remain together during the migration period, TPC?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #551 on: July 29, 2011, 19:59 »
8) Tracey, an interesting question.  Have Beau and Jules been looking for lil' Polo?  I could hear one of them calling when I was down at Polo Park for dinner.   ???

Actually, not as much as I worried they might.  Could be because they were there with Dennis and I when Polo died.  They have been at the nestsite but only occasionally have they visited the nestbox, which is interesting as this is where Polo spent most of the day out of the sun and where they usually found him.  What is a good sign is that Beau has been more successful in his efforts/desire to pair-bond with Jules than Ivy has been (so far) with Princess.  And by good, I mean positive and hopeful.  Jules and Beau have had a hugely stressful year this year, much worse than any of our other pairs ever.  It is a hopeful sign to see them interacting like this and that they will have time to recover before heading off on migration in the fall.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #550 on: July 29, 2011, 18:53 »

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #549 on: July 29, 2011, 18:36 »
How disappointing.  How quickly the excitement turns to sorrow.  From witnessing a successful fledge to only watch it end in tragedy.  
Beau and Jules will continue to guard their domain and circle their sky.  Perhaps next year, we will watch their chicks fly!
:)  Very Poetic Allikat.  So very poignant.
Thank you newchick!
Sweet words Allikat, and what we all hope for next year. Thank you

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #548 on: July 29, 2011, 16:41 »
. . . that fierce little creature. 

What a perfect description, Irenekl! Dennis, your photos are always amazing, but you may have outdone yourself with the shots of Polo. He looks like a true raptor, fierce and scrappy -- beautiful!

Couldn't have said it better!  Such a shame to have lost him!

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #547 on: July 29, 2011, 14:17 »
I saw Beau at the original nest site early this morning.
It tugged at my heart to see him there.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #546 on: July 29, 2011, 08:38 »
Very sorry to hear about little Polo.  I'm so sorry for all of you and for Beau and Jules  :'(

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #545 on: July 29, 2011, 08:19 »
. . . that fierce little creature. 

What a perfect description, Irenekl! Dennis, your photos are always amazing, but you may have outdone yourself with the shots of Polo. He looks like a true raptor, fierce and scrappy -- beautiful!