Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2011 / Beau & Jules  (Read 85621 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2011 / August
« Reply #574 on: August 31, 2011, 23:04 »
Oh that's great to hear!!!  Thanks for the report newchick!!!

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2011, 13:27 »
 8) I spotted one the other day on a lamp post in the Silver Heights area.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2011, 08:35 »
...I didn't have the binoculars or camera...what's up with that Dennis ??...
No binocs or camera? What IS up with that, Dennis?! :o :o :o LOL! ;)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #571 on: August 31, 2011, 08:07 »
This past week-end I was passing through (work) heading from point A to Point B by way of P for Peregrines and spotted one bird at the diner. I didn't have the binoculars or camera...what's up with that Dennis ??  I thought it was Jules perched and after speaking with TPC, most likely Beau.
Just nice to still see them around.

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #570 on: August 28, 2011, 08:20 »
One of our West Winnipeg spotters sent me this today ...

At 2:30 sitting outside my new BBF's [Jules & Beau] decided to stay and say hi.  They stayed about 5 minutes.  As they fly by the last time they each such stared at me and I'm thinking that they're thinking "yea we see you there" haha

Love the comment and it's a good reminder that although we'll miss them, they're on their way to perpetual summer, new adventures, and checking out their winter homes and friends.
Anthropomorphic me, nah, even birds get to remember and do good stuff. 
All about choices.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #569 on: August 27, 2011, 10:28 »
Beau on the "p" surveying Portage Avenue at 8:30 this morning.  :)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #568 on: August 26, 2011, 16:56 »
That's great news that they're still together! :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #567 on: August 26, 2011, 16:32 »
One of our West Winnipeg spotters sent me this today ...

At 2:30 sitting outside my new BBF's [Jules & Beau] decided to stay and say hi.  They stayed about 5 minutes.  As they fly by the last time they each such stared at me and I'm thinking that they're thinking "yea we see you there" haha

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2011 / August
« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2011, 22:33 »
I like to call it, "makeup"! 

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2011, 07:56 »
Must be something like us with glasses or contact lenses -- or dentures -- or anything like that -- foreign bodies at first, but very quickly we become accustomed to them and never think of them. And, of course, they're banded so young.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #564 on: August 02, 2011, 00:12 »
She might have nibbled through a strap on the backpack, the strap material might have failed or it might have been put on too loosely and she was able to get out of it if the strap material stretched a bit.  (think dog-harness on a small dog, they wiggle out of those easier than you think unless they are done up "properly")

Nothing is every perfectly secure - at least one of our peregrines managed to get a band off - metal with two rivets (before my time, but I've seen the photos).

They must really hate them.

Actually we have never observed any of them (adults or chicks) paying any additional attention to their bands.  We see them cleaning their feet all the time and the feathers along their legs and occasionally see them cleaning "bits" out from under their bands.  When we catch banded birds, their legs and feet are clean and fine. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 00:15 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #563 on: August 01, 2011, 20:21 »
No, we can't put the nestbox back out until the work is finished.  And the work is continuing, it's just taking a long, long time.  Originally I heard it would only be for a year, now I've heard anecdotally that it will take longer than a year.  I hope to find out more information from management when I talk to them later in the summer.
That really sucks!!!

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #562 on: August 01, 2011, 18:11 »
The genesse pair ,each had tracking devices on , but she got rid of hers.
What do you mean, bev? Do you mean she removed it herself? :-\

She might have nibbled through a strap on the backpack, the strap material might have failed or it might have been put on too loosely and she was able to get out of it if the strap material stretched a bit.  (think dog-harness on a small dog, they wiggle out of those easier than you think unless they are done up "properly")

Nothing is every perfectly secure - at least one of our peregrines managed to get a band off - metal with two rivets (before my time, but I've seen the photos).
They must really hate them.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #561 on: August 01, 2011, 11:48 »
TPC, I have been wondering, if there is no construction at Beau and Jules' old nestsite, is there a possibility they may nest there next year?  ???

No, we can't put the nestbox back out until the work is finished.  And the work is continuing, it's just taking a long, long time.  Originally I heard it would only be for a year, now I've heard anecdotally that it will take longer than a year.  I hope to find out more information from management when I talk to them later in the summer.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #560 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46 »
The genesse pair ,each had tracking devices on , but she got rid of hers.
What do you mean, bev? Do you mean she removed it herself? :-\

She might have nibbled through a strap on the backpack, the strap material might have failed or it might have been put on too loosely and she was able to get out of it if the strap material stretched a bit.  (think dog-harness on a small dog, they wiggle out of those easier than you think unless they are done up "properly")