Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2010 / Beau & Jules  (Read 95356 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2010 / August
« Reply #836 on: August 05, 2010, 10:35 »
Great reports.

Glad they are doing so well. :-*

I will look at all photos later on. time is limited. WEber youngster will soon fledge

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #835 on: August 04, 2010, 22:43 »
Today's observations from WWW on the WWs:

I have very little to report from West Winnipeg today.  I was at the site just before the rain started this morning and spotted our independant wanderer all alone on the ledge at the far end from the nest box.  S/he (in my mind it's probably Nero) was not doing much other than sitting on top of the world enjoying the view.  I did not spot any others flying or hanging around.

I managed a quick look this afternoon as well, I knew they were around based on TPC's food-fight posts, but was not able to spot anyone.  I guess they must be right in or around the nest box which I am not able to see from the ground. 

Hopefully there will be more of an air show tomorrow!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #834 on: August 04, 2010, 22:40 »
What is the striped red and white covered ?rope that seems irresistible to the juvie?

There is some work being done on a building not too too far from the nestsite - the cables safety lines for the folks working on the building ...

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #833 on: August 04, 2010, 22:34 »
What is the striped red and white covered ?rope that seems irresistible to the juvie?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #832 on: August 04, 2010, 21:40 »
I love photo #0132 of Annie, dennis! There she goes, doing the "Hokey Pokey", just like her brother, Nero, in photo #0162! And they both seem to like to "put yer left foot in and shake it all about"! ;D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #831 on: August 04, 2010, 20:30 »
1645 hrs (local) - food fight finally ended ... not sure who won but one is on the edge outside the box, the other is still inside cleaning off the carc<choose another word please> ... oops, chick two is making a move back toward the nestbox ...

LoL..wish we could see!  This sounds like such a fun family and our Jules has done a great job being a first time mom  :-* :-* :-*

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #830 on: August 04, 2010, 19:41 »
Last photos from the WW Fledge Watch Aug. 2nd. have been loaded.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/fledge_watch

Cheers !

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #829 on: August 04, 2010, 19:37 »
For those that know and if you go...contact bccs early so she can place an order from Tim's for coffee & Breakfast Sandwich...I always seem to miss out on that  :( >:( ???
LOL... :'(

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #828 on: August 04, 2010, 17:00 »
I am going through some serious withdrawal with this family. Guess where I'll be Saturday morning ::)
If ya know where it is, please join in, always better with company. ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #827 on: August 04, 2010, 16:49 »
1645 hrs (local) - food fight finally ended ... not sure who won but one is on the edge outside the box, the other is still inside cleaning off the carcass ... oops, chick two is making a move back toward the nestbox ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #826 on: August 04, 2010, 16:26 »
1620 hrs (local) - food fight in the nestbox.  The two girls aren't playing well with their food.  Aggie had it first, Annie wanted it and neither one is willing to let go - Aggie is currently tyring to pull it out of the box and therefore away from Annie.  I think they are also worried that Nero might find out they have treats ... no sign of him on-camera so they make finish it off before he realizes what he's missing ...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #825 on: August 04, 2010, 16:08 »
Whereas flights used to be choppy and a little frantic looking (IE:  flap flap flap GLIDE, flap flap flap flap, flapflapflapflapflap. . . .) they are now more elegant (IE: Strong flap, strong flap, GLIDE, GLIDE, GLIDE, GLIDEeeeeeeeeeeeeee, flap, glideeeeeeeeeeeeeee).

Great description, TPC!  That is exactly what it looks like!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #824 on: August 04, 2010, 16:01 »
1600 hrs (local) - two of the chicks are lying on their bellies on the corner of the building at the nestbox - they are lying nose to nose ... can't tell who they are as all three chicks are about the same size.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #823 on: August 04, 2010, 11:28 »
Report from WWW from yesterday ...

... Whereas flights used to be choppy and a little frantic looking (IE:  flap flap flap GLIDE, flap flap flap flap, flapflapflapflapflap. . . .) they are now more elegant (IE: Strong flap, strong flap, GLIDE, GLIDE, GLIDE, GLIDEeeeeeeeeeeeeee, flap, glideeeeeeeeeeeeeee).[/i]

Good news, WWW! :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #822 on: August 04, 2010, 02:29 »
Report from WWW from yesterday ...

Today it is windy at West Winnipeg.  I did not spot any of our birds this morning but did get to see one of the kids flying around this afternoon. 

It was around 2pm when I ped by; I again didn't spot anyone on the roof or on any of the usual ledges or perches.  After a few minutes of watching I did see one of the kids flying circles quite high up in the sky.  You can see that the flyers are much stronger and more confident by the day, and they now go much higher than before.  I've also noticed that the effects of the wind are now much less visible, and that they fly her distances from the nest than they did at first.

Whereas flights used to be choppy and a little frantic looking (IE:  flap flap flap GLIDE, flap flap flap flap, flapflapflapflapflap. . . .) they are now more elegant (IE: Strong flap, strong flap, GLIDE, GLIDE, GLIDE, GLIDEeeeeeeeeeeeeee, flap, glideeeeeeeeeeeeeee).